Summation of Wynne's Minimum Wage Announcement

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

Musky

Time Out
May 19, 2017
Businesses will adapt and compete.

How do people on fixed incomes adapt as lonewolf pointed out?

Also how do liberal countries in Europe have no minimum wage yet low unemployment....and high wages.

The government doesn't have to regulate everything you know.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
I'm surprised you can fit that beach ball gut of yours in a pair of pants you old bigot. LOLz

Donald Trump is stressed out, isolated and gaining weight, says new report | The Independent

Also how do liberal countries in Europe have no minimum wage yet low unemployment....and high wages.

Depends on the territory.

There are some places in the world where you may not need any regulation but in the west, corporations often operate on short term profit only and that actually leads to they're own downfall.

This will put pressure on them to actually invest instead of relying on cheap labour.

Musky

Time Out
May 19, 2017
The countries I mentioned are in the West.

......again, what about folks on fixed incomes?

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
Is anyone here directly affected by Wynne's announcement? Meaning, your hourly wage will increase over the next 18 months? It would be interesting to hear from you.

Or perhaps your children or friends if the increase does not affect you directly.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Do you think that was not already coming?

Anyways, countries like Sweden, Denmark, Iceland, Norway and Switzerland do not have government mandated minimum wages and have low unemployment.

I wonder why?

There is a simple reason why. All of those countries are heavily unionized. Workers don't need a minimum wage when they have the right to bargain collectively.

Unless it is $0.00, there should be no minimum wage.

Too bad there is no minimum IQ level for making posts in CC.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons

Actually, they do in effect have a minimum wage through a mixture of union and other agreements. When looking at an exchange rate in US dollars, most of them are sitting at around $18-$22/hr USD. However, if you look at some OECD charts and click the hourly tab, when you apply Purchasing Power Parity those "minimum wages" are more like $10-$11 USD. Applying PPP to the Canadian average for minimum wage we sit at $8.10/hr USD.

https://stats.oecd.org/Index.aspx?DataSetCode=RMW

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
Statistically, around 9% of Canadians live abroad, so we are a very mobile nation. With that in mind, Canadian governments should be careful not to push Canadians out of the country to find work. And if businesses move out, workers will certainly follow. And that's lost tax revenue and a shrunk consumer base.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
It will be interesting to know how the increase in minimum wage affect those who are on a salary. Bet no adjustments will be made for that 'cuz potentially, employers could pay a starting salary for an entry-level position that would be less than the minimum wage and not suffer any consequences. There are those who I work with that make in the neighbourhood of $28 - $30,000/yr. Based on a 37 1/2 hour work week at $15/hr comes to $29,250. Will employers be obliged to adjust those salaries? I'm betting no.

Just askin'

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
It will be interesting to know how the increase in minimum wage affect those who are on a salary. Bet no adjustments will be made for that 'cuz potentially, employers could pay a starting salary for an entry-level position that would be less than the minimum wage and not suffer any consequences. There are those who I work with that make in the neighbourhood of $28 - $30,000/yr. Based on a 37 1/2 hour work week at $15/hr comes to $29,250. Will employers be obliged to adjust those salaries? I'm betting no.

Just askin'

Kiss full-time with benefits good bye.