Summation of Wynne's Minimum Wage Announcement

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
Re: Time Sensitive: Live coverage of Wynne's Minimum Wage Announcement

Thanks To 'Fight For $15' Minimum Wage, McDonald's Unveils Job-Replacing Self-Service Kiosks Nationwide
https://www.forbes.com/sites/realsp...-self-service-kiosks-nationwide/#534aadd4fbc6
That's ROBOTS for those of you that learned to read in school
;)
It used to be the leftii would just force everyone down to labor camp payscale
now they got bots that can work cheaper

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
Re: Time Sensitive: Live coverage of Wynne's Minimum Wage Announcement

Summation:

Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne has announced a plan to increase the provincial minimum wage to $15 an hour by Jan. 1, 2019.

The increase would be phased in over the next 18 months, rising to $14 an hour on Jan. 1, 2018, and then to $15 the following January.

After that, it will rise annually with inflation.

"People are working longer, jobs are less secure, benefits are harder to come by and protections are fewer and fewer," said Wynne. "In a time of change like this, when the very nature of work is being transformed, we need to make certain that our workers are treated fairly."

Wynne also announced several other proposed changes to workforce rules:

• Equal pay would be mandated for part-time workers doing the same job as a full-time workers.
  • After five years with the same employer, the minimum vacation entitlement for workers would rise to three weeks per year.
  • Employers would be required to pay a worker three hours of wages if the employer cancels a shift with less than 48 hours notice.
  • All workers would be given 10 personal emergency leave days a year, and a minimum of two of those days must be paid. (Currently only employees of large companies are entitled to this.)

Currently, Ontario's minimum wage is $11.40 an hour.

In other provinces, the current minimum ranges from $10.72 in Saskatchewan to $13 in Nunavut. Alberta became the first province to pass a $15 hourly wage, in September 2016, but it doesn't go into effect until October 2018.

In an interview with CBC Toronto on Monday, Wynne said the provincial economy is doing well enough to handle a significant wage boost.

Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne announces $15 minimum wage - Toronto - CBC News

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
Not happy because the increase did not immediately go into effect? I don't think that should come as a surprise to most.

I said on another thread that this would be the case. It's doublespeak for "Vote for us." The thing about government is that they can always make changes down the line to "reflect the current situation".

Musky

Time Out
May 19, 2017
Not happy because the increase did not immediately go into effect? I don't think that should come as a surprise to most.

I said on another thread that this would be the case. It's doublespeak for "Vote for us." The thing about government is that they can always make changes down the line to "reflect the current situation".

I think...if...you want to increase minimum wage you do it the way they did.

Less of a shock to small business and gives them time to plan.

Musky

Time Out
May 19, 2017
I mentioned this a day or so ago. It's not a surprise. The lead time is dependent on whether or not they are elected and leaves the govt open for future adjustments.

http://forums.canadiancontent.net/ontario/150417-wynnetario-reverse-tories-draconian-labour.html

Very true....but on the other hand what I said was valid as well.

Time will tell.

I agree however that this is a political play by the most disastrous, scandal ridden and corrupt government in Ontario's history.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

Musky

Time Out
May 19, 2017
That is true. Expect an increase in automation.

Do you think that was not already coming?

Anyways, countries like Sweden, Denmark, Iceland, Norway and Switzerland do not have government mandated minimum wages and have low unemployment.

I wonder why?