Fentanyl

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
One story I heard was that carfentanyl is fatal in quantities the size of a grain of rice (or was it a grain of sand?).

And that paramedics in some cities are using 10-12 shots of naloxone EVERY SHIFT.

People are desperately looking for something, apparently.

Grain of sand size can kill.
The do gooders are even trying to get first responders to certify to administer naloxone.
I see it as Darwin taking control of the situation.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Grain of sand size can kill.
The do gooders are even trying to get first responders to certify to administer naloxone.
I see it as Darwin taking control of the situation.

Yes, it's good to have people die from taking something they didn't know they were taking.

I like your theory.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

Nine people died from overdoses in Vancouver overnight, says Vancouver’s police chief.

Chief Adam Palmer made the announcement on Friday morning, and joined Vancouver mayor Gregor Robertson in calling for the provincial government to shift its focus from harm-reduction to addiction treatment in fighting the region’s opioid crisis.

The chief called for both detox help and longer-term treatment for those who claim they’re ready to get off drugs.

“Imagine you’re a person addicted to drugs” and homeless with a mental illness. People who want to get help are told to wait nine days, he said.

Robertson expressed concerns about the “horrific” impact that important harm-reduction work has on those providing it. He added that governments have not properly dealt with the root causes of drug addiction nor given enough attention to treatment, and we are now seeing the results of that.

“It’s desperate times in Vancouver, and it’s hard to see any silver lining,” Robertson said. “We’ve been treading water for many years with Canada’s only harm-reduction strategy of note.”

Mental health and the housing crisis have played a role in addiction and the current overdose epidemic, Robertson added.

On Tuesday, the City of Vancouver approved a 3.9-per-cent property tax increase that included 0.5 per cent earmarked specifically to fight the city’s drug crisis.

Fentanyl is the primary enemy, although other, more toxic synthetic opioids have begun to appear on the street in recent months.

John McKearney, Vancouver’s fire chief, said the City of Vancouver has shown leadership, but the provincial government needs to become more involved in providing treatment for members of the community.

Nine die from overdoses overnight in Vancouver

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
What about the drug traffickers? Some say they're just hard-working capitalists, that the government needs to stop acting like a nanny state and leave supply and demand to their own devices. Others say that drug trafficking is tantamount to murder and ought to be punished with equal severity? So which is it? Should we sell carfentanyl at the local grocery store or should we prosecute?

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
What about the drug traffickers? Some say they're just hard-working capitalists, that the government needs to stop acting like a nanny state and leave supply and demand to their own devices. Others say that drug trafficking is tantamount to murder and ought to be punished with equal severity? So which is it? Should we sell carfentanyl at the local grocery store or should we prosecute?

If you have actually personally met the people who sell this stuff you would know this question to be funny.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
Pardon my ignorance on that front. How so?

Your not ignorant but in my experience (being arrogant) is that the people who sell this stuff aint the normal sort that most of the people who post here meet.

** edit** If your talking about dealers

So basically im saying prosecute to the fullest extent

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Your not ignorant but in my experience (being arrogant) is that the people who sell this stuff aint the normal sort that most of the people who post here meet.

** edit** If your talking about dealers

I know enough about life that a drug trafficker could invite me to his home for dinner and as long as he's hid the more obvious signs of his trade, I would be none the wiser. I don't usually presume my friends, family, or acquaintances including neighbours to sell drugs if you know what I mean.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
I know enough about life that a drug trafficker could invite me to his home for dinner and as long as he's hid the more obvious signs of his trade, I would be none the wiser. I don't usually presume my friends, family, or acquaintances including neighbours to sell drugs if you know what I mean.

Im not talking about that but yes a few people hide it well. What im saying that if youve actually had to sit down with someone who willingly sells this stuff to other human beings that you would realize that these people need to be prosecuted.

Predators like these people require the fullest extent of the law to be dropped on them there is no debate. That why i said it was funny.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

Hard-working capitalists, eh...........that's a new one for me, Machjo......and who are the 'some'? I hold the opinion that drug traffickers are the scum of the earth who, if caught, should be shot - that not being an option in our country, they should be given frontal lobotomies but then they would really be a burden on the system - bunch of no-brains walking about. Throwing them in the clink and losing the key might be the only option left.

Proving murder could be dicey unless you actually catch a trafficker shooting someone up who subsequently dies. Traffickers - smart ones at least - have many degrees of separation between themselves and those who use their products. I don't know much about the penal code of Canada so this may already be in force but if such is not the case, then treating trafficking as a crime deserving equal punishment under the law as murder might be a consideration.

Grocery stores are not allowed under law to sell certain classes of drugs - unless they are attached to a pharmacy that has the license to do so. In which case it may very well be available now - fentanyl patches are one form of the drug often prescribed by doctors as a form of pain management.

The most terrifying aspect of this drug is the minuscule amount it takes to kill. It can be so easily made - I checked last night and found several sites online that detail exactly how to make the drug - and so easily hidden. Apparently much of what we are seeing here in BC is being brought in from China - that according to Global News - thus stepping up border checks and hiring more drug dogs would help to stem that tide. Exacerbating the situation is the fact that fentanyl is now being found in other opioids thus an addict may accidentally take the drug thinking they were say snorting coke and end up ODing.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Im not talking about that but yes a few people hide it well. What im saying that if youve actually had to sit down with someone who willingly sells this stuff to other human beings that you would realize that these people need to be prosecuted.

Predators like these people require the fullest extent of the law to be dropped on them there is no debate. That why i said it was funny.

Yet I'm sure some on this site would say hey, let the market decide.

Hard-working capitalists, eh...........that's a new one for me, Machjo......and who are the 'some'? I hold the opinion that drug traffickers are the scum of the earth who, if caught, should be shot - that not being an option in our country, they should be given frontal lobotomies but then they would really be a burden on the system - bunch of no-brains walking about. Throwing them in the clink and losing the key might be the only option left.

Proving murder could be dicey unless you actually catch a trafficker shooting someone up who subsequently dies. Traffickers - smart ones at least - have many degrees of separation between themselves and those who use their products. I don't know much about the penal code of Canada so this may already be in force but if such is not the case, then treating trafficking as a crime deserving equal punishment under the law as murder might be a consideration.

Grocery stores are not allowed under law to sell certain classes of drugs - unless they are attached to a pharmacy that has the license to do so. In which case it may very well be available now - fentanyl patches are one form of the drug often prescribed by doctors as a form of pain management.

The most terrifying aspect of this drug is the minuscule amount it takes to kill. It can be so easily made - I checked last night and found several sites online that detail exactly how to make the drug - and so easily hidden. Apparently much of what we are seeing here in BC is being brought in from China - that according to Global News - thus stepping up border checks and hiring more drug dogs would help to stem that tide. Exacerbating the situation is the fact that fentanyl is now being found in other opioids thus an addict may accidentally take the drug thinking they were say snorting coke and end up ODing.

And how many CBSA officers are taking a cut of the profits to turn a blind eye? What kind of oversight is there at the CBSA?

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
When you're on painkillers after awhile their effect is diminshed and when the pain gets too much to bear you want take more than what is prescribed. I'm wondering if Prince maybe had taken his percosets and use the patch too.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

Nine people died from overdoses in Vancouver overnight, says Vancouver’s police chief.

Chief Adam Palmer made the announcement on Friday morning, and joined Vancouver mayor Gregor Robertson in calling for the provincial government to shift its focus from harm-reduction to addiction treatment in fighting the region’s opioid crisis.

The chief called for both detox help and longer-term treatment for those who claim they’re ready to get off drugs.

“Imagine you’re a person addicted to drugs” and homeless with a mental illness. People who want to get help are told to wait nine days, he said.

Robertson expressed concerns about the “horrific” impact that important harm-reduction work has on those providing it. He added that governments have not properly dealt with the root causes of drug addiction nor given enough attention to treatment, and we are now seeing the results of that.

“It’s desperate times in Vancouver, and it’s hard to see any silver lining,” Robertson said. “We’ve been treading water for many years with Canada’s only harm-reduction strategy of note.”

Mental health and the housing crisis have played a role in addiction and the current overdose epidemic, Robertson added.

On Tuesday, the City of Vancouver approved a 3.9-per-cent property tax increase that included 0.5 per cent earmarked specifically to fight the city’s drug crisis.

Fentanyl is the primary enemy, although other, more toxic synthetic opioids have begun to appear on the street in recent months.

John McKearney, Vancouver’s fire chief, said the City of Vancouver has shown leadership, but the provincial government needs to become more involved in providing treatment for members of the community.

Nine die from overdoses overnight in Vancouver

You beat me to this story. Thanks for being on the ball.

And how many CBSA officers are taking a cut of the profits to turn a blind eye? What kind of oversight is there at the CBSA?

That is a pathetic statement.

Any parcel that is under 30 grams was protected by law from inspection and seizure even if CBSA knew what the contents were until just a couple of days ago.

30 grams of fentanyl, carfentanyl or W18 is enough to kill several hundred junkies.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
You beat me to this story. Thanks for being on the ball.

You are welcome, pete though the number of dead has risen to 13 for today alone and the night is not over.

Thirteen people die of overdoses over one day in B.C. as fentanyl fuels opioid crisis - The Globe and Mail

When you're on painkillers after awhile their effect is diminshed and when the pain gets too much to bear you want take more than what is prescribed.

Or begin to take something even more potent which is what keeps me away from prescribed pain killers - mind you I've been lucky so far with only minor osteoarthritis pain which I have been able to manage with a natural medication based on an extract from the sunflower plant. I have also found that the mind can play a great part in managing pain.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
It's time to Rx junkies heroin or Hydromorphone.

ODs, medical costs, homelessness, crime, sex trade tragedies, STDs and indignity would plummet.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
It's time to Rx junkies heroin or Hydromorphone.

ODs, medical costs, homelessness, crime, sex trade tragedies, STDs and indignity would plummet.

There are some areas of Britain that have been running such a program for years now. They have found that deaths, health problems and crime in the area have all gone down since it began. I believe there are a couple of other countries that trying similar methods.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun

Probably and theyre either idiots who dont have a clue or ****bags who deal the stuff.

There is a market for it like im sure there is a market for human trafficking but people who support those markets tend to be people you want locked up.