Water is Life

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Did they shoot your dog? Scare you when you were a kid? Steal your girlfriend?

Nope. nope and nope!

I spent most of my life in the Cowichan valley where there is a huge indian population. They are one of the wealthiest bands in Canada. They all get about $1500/mo per person (man, woman and child) from the band but most still collect welfare checks. They are given brand new houses which become broken down garbage dumps in a year or two. The attitude of entitlement is so ingrained and pervasive. They make all these declarations about a proud heritage but have basically zero pride or self-respect choosing instead to milk the system and party their lives away on my dime. They call for self-governance and an independent nation but still want the free money and benefits Canada provides. Doesn't seem to matter how many times we negotiate a 'final' settlement with them they always want to come back to renegotiate for more. A lot of that I blame on government for continually allowing it but really, where is all this pride and strong heritage and why do they have no respect for themselves or anyone else?

I speak in generalities here. I knew some who wanted nothing to do with the band and just worked hard and paid taxes and tried to be part of Canada and they were vilified for it by the others. I have just had enough of pouring money into what appears to be a worthless endeavor to help ungrateful people who refuse to help themselves.

All that said I don't respect anyone who won't work for a living and won't at least try to help themselves regardless of ethnicity.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Well, if your posts are anything to go by, you don't respect anyone who belongs to the same race as those whom you have deemed lazy and worthless, despite the fact that even you admit that not everybody even in the one band you base your argument on behaves the way you dislike, much less the people of a thousand other nations on two continents.

That's the problem. You see an Indian, you think "Damn lazy, worthless SOB" without knowing whether he actually is, or whether he's what you would deem a "good Indun." And you base this, as I said, on the conduct of some members of one band.

Overgeneralization. You should get that looked at.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Well, if your posts are anything to go by, you don't respect anyone who belongs to the same race as those whom you have deemed lazy and worthless, despite the fact that even you admit that not everybody even in the one band you base your argument on behaves the way you dislike, much less the people of a thousand other nations on two continents.

That's the problem. You see an Indian, you think "Damn lazy, worthless SOB" without knowing whether he actually is, or whether he's what you would deem a "good Indun." And you base this, as I said, on the conduct of some members of one band.

Overgeneralization. You should get that looked at.

I base my opinion on a lifetime of watching various governments in Canada try to deal with the issue. Every time a deal is struck there is another group saying it is invalid and they want to renegotiate for more. Add into the mix the indians seem to want to be Canadian and not Canadian at the same time or whichever one has the best benefit to them at that particular moment.

The vast majority I have encountered in western Canada (not just the Cowichan tribes) lack the basic self-respect to take control of their lives and responsibility for themselves and if a person has no sense of personal accountability I have no time for them. That isn't based upon their race, I despise every person who plays the victim including some of my own family.

In the end what I want is a full and final deal. Name the price to stop all the bullsh^t. Whether it's land and mineral rights or cash or a combination of all I don't care, just do a deal and be done because right now there is now reason for anyone to believe this won't still be going on in another 400 years.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I base my opinion on a lifetime of watching various governments in Canada try to deal with the issue. Every time a deal is struck there is another group saying it is invalid and they want to renegotiate for more. Add into the mix the indians seem to want to be Canadian and not Canadian at the same time or whichever one has the best benefit to them at that particular moment.

The vast majority I have encountered in western Canada (not just the Cowichan tribes) lack the basic self-respect to take control of their lives and responsibility for themselves and if a person has no sense of personal accountability I have no time for them. That isn't based upon their race, I despise every person who plays the victim including some of my own family.
Yeah, but I bet you don't assume a white person you see is a useless welfare bum until proven otherwise.

In the end what I want is a full and final deal. Name the price to stop all the bullsh^t. Whether it's land and mineral rights or cash or a combination of all I don't care, just do a deal and be done because right now there is now reason for anyone to believe this won't still be going on in another 400 years.
I agree with the "full and final" part, but not with the rest. In the U.S. (I can't speak for Canada, I have no interest or right there), shut it all down. BIA, INS, legal status of reservations, Mineral Trust Fund, all of it. The recognized tribes can either form into an entity that can own land (corporation, trust, foundation, whatever) or split up the land among their people.

Then you're done.

Indians who want "their own thing" can work for it. Buy the land, move in Indians, vote for county councillors who will promote an Indian-friendly legal agenda, within the laws of the state and country. Heck, move enough Indians into a state to effectively take over, and pass Indian-friendly laws for the entire state, again within the strictures of the Constitution.

It's what I've been working on for years.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Yeah, but I bet you don't assume a white person you see is a useless welfare bum until proven otherwise.
Depends on where, when and what they look like but I get your point and admit my bias.

I agree with the "full and final" part, but not with the rest. In the U.S. (I can't speak for Canada, I have no interest or right there), shut it all down. BIA, INS, legal status of reservations, Mineral Trust Fund, all of it. The recognized tribes can either form into an entity that can own land (corporation, trust, foundation, whatever) or split up the land among their people.

Then you're done.

Indians who want "their own thing" can work for it. Buy the land, move in Indians, vote for county councillors who will promote an Indian-friendly legal agenda, within the laws of the state and country. Heck, move enough Indians into a state to effectively take over, and pass Indian-friendly laws for the entire state, again within the strictures of the Constitution.

It's what I've been working on for years.
As you say I do not know about your side of the 49th. Here any reserve land is administered by the band. If an Indian wants to own private property they can just like any other Canadian. They are allowed to vote and hold office as far as I know. Contrary to popular belief anyone not working on reserve land or in a native fishery is subject to income tax and only purchases made on a reserve are exempt from sales tax though they end-run this by having everything delivered to a reserve land address.

One of my biggest complaints is the request for self-governance and a declaration of a 'separate & distinct nation' but also wanting to take all the benefits of being a Canadian citizen. It makes for complicated jurisdictional issues in dealing with the law. I don't believe you should be able to have it both ways.

I really do not care how the settlement gets structured as long as it is final and we can move forward whether that be together or completely separate.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Depends on where, when and what they look like but I get your point and admit my bias.

As you say I do not know about your side of the 49th. Here any reserve land is administered by the band. If an Indian wants to own private property they can just like any other Canadian. They are allowed to vote and hold office as far as I know. Contrary to popular belief anyone not working on reserve land or in a native fishery is subject to income tax and only purchases made on a reserve are exempt from sales tax though they end-run this by having everything delivered to a reserve land address.

One of my biggest complaints is the request for self-governance and a declaration of a 'separate & distinct nation' but also wanting to take all the benefits of being a Canadian citizen. It makes for complicated jurisdictional issues in dealing with the law. I don't believe you should be able to have it both ways.

I really do not care how the settlement gets structured as long as it is final and we can move forward whether that be together or completely separate.
The set-up's pretty much the same here. But I actually come to the same conclusion you do, but from the opposite direction.

As far as I am concerned, the welfare has harmed us more than the smallpox and the rifles combined. First, it made us dependent, and second, it's always underfunded, and frequently this or that program is cut entirely, all at the will and decision of the Shemanese (that's you). Everybody will be happier when we own what we own, all of it, and participate under the same rulebook y'all use.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
BREAKING: North Dakota Calls National Guard To Squash Sioux Pipeline Protest

The Standing Rock Sioux battle to protect their sacred sites from being destroyed by a giant oil pipeline has just taken a shocking turn. The Governor of North Dakota, Republican Jack Dalrymple has called in the National Guard to deal with the massive group of protesters that has congregated to stand up for the rights of Native Americans.
Tensions are running very high between the private security forces hired by contractor Energy Transfer Partners and the protesters from over 200 Native American tribes from around the country. Corporate goons have already inflicted a swath of injuries on the protesters with their use of attack dogs over the weekend and police have arrested over 37 for such ridiculous charges as “preventing arrest,” “disorderly conduct,” and “trespassing” – but did nothing when the oilmen began bulldozing ancient burial sites before they had the proper paperwork to do so. A judge has issued an emergency restraining order until the formal hearing on the legality of the $3.8 billion pipeline, which spans four states and areas that the United States has ceded to local Native American tribes by treaty.

BREAKING: North Dakota Calls National Guard To Squash Sioux Pipeline Protest

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
If All the World Were Apple Pie

If all the world were apple pie,
And all the sea were ink,
And all the trees were bread and cheese,
What would we have to drink?

Nursery Rhyme

I thought we had this all figured out at three years old
apparently I wuz wrong

"Clinton was quick last week to praise President Obama’s stricter rules on coal-fired power plants, vowing to both defend and build on them. Her stance won plaudits from environmentalists within her party, but unions, a key constituency, are concerned she has yet to say how tougher climate rules will affect coal industry jobs.

“We would like to see some more specifics regarding her energy policies,” said Phil Smith, a spokesman for the United Mine Workers Association, which represents about 80,000 workers.

Roland “Butch” Taylor, a business manager at the Plumber & Pipefitters Local 396, a union in Boardman, Ohio, said he hopes Clinton does not cater solely to “voodoo environment concerns.”

“A candidate should be pushing for clean coal technology until alternative energy is available,” Taylor said."
Hillary Clinton's Shifting Rhetoric On Coal Is A Departure From Her Coal Miner Roots | Huffington Post

"Competition is a sin." - John D. Rockefeller
Read more at: Competition is a sin. - John D. Rockefeller at BrainyQuote
Standard Oil Co. Inc. was an American oil producing, transporting, refining, and marketing company. Established in 1870 by John D. Rockefeller as a corporation in Ohio, it was the largest oil refiner in the world of its time.[7] Its controversial history as one of the world's first and largest multinational corporations ended in 1911, when the United States Supreme Court ruled that Standard Oil was an illegal monopoly.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_Oil

lather rinse repeat

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB

You gonna power you computer with water? What about your car? Heat your house? Get rid of anything plastic in your life? How about synthetic clothing? You got no idea how much you rely on oil, you morons just have this stupid idea the world will be so much better without using any fossil fuels but don't realize that last happened in the stone age. You want to live in the stone age skippy?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
"In my Ancestors wildest Dreams":

The ever so tragic story of a brave, brave resilient people who have suffered grave injustice, land & resource theft & slaughter by the US government from the 1800's onward & now filthy corporation interests. They steal & trample the dignity of these honorable people over & over again & yet they stand & love the land far, far more than any of the thieves do! Yes the gathering of the Spirit & Heart in such numbers is indeed a beautiful picture beyond words, yet most god damned whites are too stupid to see it! - James Buik

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
"In my Ancestors wildest Dreams":

The ever so tragic story of a brave, brave resilient people who have suffered grave injustice, land & resource theft & slaughter by the US government from the 1800's onward & now filthy corporation interests. They steal & trample the dignity of these honorable people over & over again & yet they stand & love the land far, far more than any of the thieves do! Yes the gathering of the Spirit & Heart in such numbers is indeed a beautiful picture beyond words, yet most god damned whites are too stupid to see it! - James Buik

Until they get paid off...then they wont care so much about the land.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Until they get paid off...then they wont care so much about the land.
Trying to educate the willfully ignorant is not my job. If you think the world cannot live without oil, you obviously are willfully ignorant. There are ten thousand people there from many tribes, races and creeds. This has turned into a do or die effort to save, not only water, but your sorry azzes as well. Nobody is going to be paid off. You can't drink oil.