Canada one step closer to marijuana legalization

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Canada one step closer to marijuana legalization

The federal government has announced the first step toward an eventual legalization of marijuana in Canada, with a law expected to be tabled in the spring of 2017.

Justice Minister Jody Wilson-Raybould announced the creation of a task force on Thursday morning in Ottawa, calling it “the first step in a process.”

“Our intent is to come up with legislation that will regulate non-medical access to marijuana, keeping it out of the hands of children and the hands of criminals,” she said.​

The justice minister was careful to note that until the new law is in place, the drug is still illegal in Canada. The legal exceptions for medical use will also remain in place, she added.

Over the next four months, the task force will consult provincial, territorial, indigenous and territorial governments, as well as youth and experts in relevant fields like healthcare, criminal justice, economics, industry and law enforcement.

The group will also be speaking to companies with expertise in the sale, production and distribution of marijuana, officials said Thursday.

The task force will be chaired by former Liberal cabinet minister and deputy prime minister Anne McLellan.

McLellan told reporters she was “pleased” to be chosen.

“Given my past experience, I do have an appreciation for the complexity of the task,” she said. “I know that this is a topic that is of interest to many Canadian for different reasons.”​

Canadians can contribute to the conversation via an online consultation tool, which will launch Thursday.

“The task force members and I look forward to the challenge ahead of us,” McLellan said, adding that her group is most concerned about how best to legalize marijuana, not whether it should be done in the first place.

NDP still pushing for decriminalization

The NDP’s Guy Caron said his party was “extremely disappointed” by what it heard Thursday morning.

He said the NDP doesn’t necessarily think legalization should be rushed, but that the government should at least decriminalize possession of small amounts of marijuana in the interim.

Canada one step closer to marijuana legalization | Globalnews.ca

Remington1

Council Member
Jan 30, 2016
To each his own. Personally, I'm old enough to not have weed take over my life ambition, but I know to many young people that are royally f&^%ked. Do I want to see more of these f&^%ked up heads, NO. JT is wrong on this one, our country does not deserve this.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
to dude or
not to dude

*sigh*
The Justice minister has marijuana in his portfolio
and so, is unlikely to get much done today

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I'am a criminal of the cannabis type, a botanical terrorists, I go with it or I go not. One of the gifts of God. On your knees please and let us not forget cabbage and apples and blueberries, I'm a vegetable at heart, I'd like to sit there and root for ever, but the goddamned liqour stores were dclosed on Canada Day1 They don't care about you, like I do.

The unlegal actually is better tasting cuz you needs no mans leave to partake, it's 100% your choice, you and God and matches.

Thier legalization is a joke, and a sck one, fuk off we don;t need your approval for a choice we've long ago made, facilitate the transition we,ve already made or be replaced, you have the peoples mandate get on with it or heads will roll.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Thier legalization is a joke, and a sck one, fuk off we don;t need your approval for a choice we've long ago made, facilitate the transition we,ve already made or be replaced, you have the peoples mandate get on with it or heads will roll.
No matter once the legislation is passed no one will ever again be prosecuted for simple possession and that's what counts.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
No matter once the legislation is passed no one will ever again be prosecuted for simple possession and that's what counts.

I enjoyed being prosecuted, it was a learning experianced, almost killed me, but now that I've advaned a bit I wouldn't want to experiance the choppers and pot swat team aginst even the fukkin military was there, for less than five hundred plants, the prosecuter mentiones ninehundred tghousand street value, worked out to about fifty bucvks an once at my estimation, it wasn't that good, anyhow the compounds in that plant are real magic to many of millions of plants qand the plant is known to be one of the original Gifts O f God. It's the hundred in one plant. It's illeagle because it is good for us. I hope your very good thisd evening Bill. I must gvisit your country some day.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
To each his own. Personally, I'm old enough to not have weed take over my life ambition, but I know to many young people that are royally f&^%ked. Do I want to see more of these f&^%ked up heads, NO. JT is wrong on this one, our country does not deserve this.

Can't agree with you there. People who are addictive personalities will find a way no matter if it's legal or not. Pot should be legal and sold just like alcohol. I am no fan of Justin Trudeau, but I agree with him on this subject.

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
I notice some of you are blaming Mary Jane for the stupidity of some of today's youth. Myself,I think a lot of today's youth are stupid,because they are today's youth,marijuana use is irrelevant .

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I hope the rules will be strict. Marijuana shops should not be visible to the public's eyes and should not advertise their existence, not even through an open sign or an open-hours sign in the window, except online.

Any online advertisement should include the business', email as its only contact information. You want the street address, then send an email. The business could set its email to auto reply with all the pertinent information.

Marijuana shops should be required to allow anyone to smoke on premises in a well-ventilated enclosure.

No one should be allowed to let the public see any marijuana in their possession except on private personal property.

Internet service providers should make access to sites that advertise marijuana shops opt-in only and until an adult ith proof of age opts in, it should redirect to a site with educational advertising pertaining to addiction.

We should have the same law for tobacco by the way.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
I hope the rules will be strict. Marijuana shops should not be visible to the public's eyes and should not advertise their existence, not even through an open sign or an open-hours sign in the window, except online.

Any online advertisement should include the business', email as its only contact information. You want the street address, then send an email. The business could set its email to auto reply with all the pertinent information.

Marijuana shops should be required to allow anyone to smoke on premises in a well-ventilated enclosure.

No one should be allowed to let the public see any marijuana in their possession except on private personal property.

Internet service providers should make access to sites that advertise marijuana shops opt-in only and until an adult ith proof of age opts in, it should redirect to a site with educational advertising pertaining to addiction.

We should have the same law for tobacco by the way.

You're an idiot! Why legalize at all. In fact let's ban tobacco and close all the bars and liquor stores too while we're at it. I would hate to see your tender sensibilities harmed by seeing anyone making a decision about these these things without some damn liberal like you to protect us all from having anything resembling fun.

Especially the ones stupid enough to get on dope!

Oh yeah....I forgot how many stoners are out there committing murder every day...:roll:

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Even one is too many, don't you think?

Oh please! You find me 1 murder in the last 25 years attributed to smoking pot. You can't because it doesn't happen. I mean someone may murder a cheeseburger or a bag of Doritos but nobody has murdered a person because of smoking a joint.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Oh please! You find me 1 murder in the last 25 years attributed to smoking pot. You can't because it doesn't happen. I mean someone may murder a cheeseburger or a bag of Doritos but nobody has murdered a person because of smoking a joint.

"Because" is a bit of a red herring. I'd bet there's been dozens "after" smoking a joint! :)

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
Thc is very effective at curtailing PTSD and neurological pain.
curtailing PTSD STOPS MURDERS attributed to that condition.
To not recognize this and utilize it because some folks don't have a clue is well, quite rankly stupid.
SSRI drugs on the other hand CAUSE MURDERS

Not utilizing THC, because of blind adherence to idiotic dogma is very problematic for suffering ex soldiers and spectrum disorder children also, among other people.
People who would prevent it's use and/or frown on it for reasons best attributed to someone else's corporate propaganda, suffer from something far more detrimental to society as a whole:
DELUSION

A very large section of the population suffers from medical conditions that benefit subtly from the use of THC (and related compounds), and use it under the guise of "RECREATIONAL USE" because the delusional idiots who oppose it for nonsensical, inaccurate reasons, don't have better solutions. IF they didn't feel need to use it to have fun, they wouldn't use it recreationaly at all.

THC being restricted is also the excuse for not utilizing hemp, which is real freaking stupid
...super stupid, and the real reason it's illegal in the first place.
It is good however, for elitist corporations that don't want you to have the FREEDOM to choose for yourself though...COMPETITION IS A SIN

You uselessful idiots are standing in the way of relief for people much more deserving of a say in this matter then you, just to further corporate profits from things immeasurably far more detrimental, so kindly shut the fikk up please, you are are torturing children and troops, among other things, both of which many of you OH!noeknows pretend to champion, while you CHEER shooting them out of cannons

congratulations on the recognition of your natural lobotomies
ya bastids

Especially the ones stupid enough to get on dope!

BACK THAT UP WITH SOME INTELLIGENT DISCOURSE PLEASE
or risk looking like total dum dum
BTW
I'd bet there's been dozens "after" smoking a joint!
I'll take you up that bet
when you don't or can't win a bet
that's the definition of LOSER
so link us up some eh?

here I'll even help you get started
Marijuana and Mass Murder
Roger Morgan blames weed for everything that's wrong with society today.
https://www.merryjane.com/news/marijuana-and-mass-murder

Last edited: