ABEXIT - is it time for Alberta to think about leaving Canada?

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
We already call it Exberta.

...and seems to be growing. Feb/2016

Alberta separation rumbles grow louder

Lets say Alberta separates. Do you really think that would make it any easier getting Alberta oil to market? .

Just say'in, I wouldn't vote for Alberta separation, but you might want to read this article.

Peter Zeihan says Alberta would be better off as 51st U.S. state

BUT, I would like to see each and every Province have the same equal rights that have been given to Quebec.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
We already call it Exberta.

Exatchewan

Manitexit

British Columxit

Actually, you should get out more. ;)

So far, you're only evidence that these provinces want separate are a Facebook group with no one in it and a 1990s looking website run by some basement crank. There's better evidence for Big Foot than any actual Western movement to leave Canada. You're living in a fantasy world.

bluebyrd35

Council Member
Aug 9, 2008
Ormstown.Chat.Valley
How silly.....just as silly as PQ Separatism. There is a reason why most of Canada's territory has united.....Because, there is back-up from those of our own when things go bad. Just as Lac Megantic in PQ and the fires of Fort McMurray got the backing of most of Canada. Of course when things are going well, sharing the wealth is always a negative reaction from those who cannot see farther than their own noses.

Actually, you should get out more. ;)

You tell'em Durry!!

Separatists getting louder with a quiet Alberta economy

To make Alberta great again would mean adding to the poisoning of the rest of the world. While it was a set back it was inevitable that oil goes the way of coal. Unlike coal, oil will always be in fair demand. But in the end it will be the sun that will provide most of our energy in the future. Like PQ and its harnessing of water, that provides electricity, Alberta will once more be reasonably well off through it's resources. But looking forward to the future, it behooves us to look forward to when it becomes depleted. The aim should be about renewable resources which will benefit all.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,

To make Alberta great again would mean adding to the poisoning of the rest of the world.
While it was a set back it was inevitable that oil goes the way of coal. Unlike coal, oil will always be in fair demand. But in the end it will be the sun that will provide most of our energy in the future. Like PQ and its harnessing of water, that provides electricity, Alberta will once more be reasonably well off through it's resources. But looking forward to the future, it behooves us to look forward to when it becomes depleted. The aim should be about renewable resources which will benefit all.

Do you drive an electric car? or are you just another condescending hypocrite?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Breakups always seem like a good idea but then it all boils down to support payments, custody and visitation rights and the only ones who thrive are the lawyers.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
Whatever we do, we just gotta make absolutely sure individuals like this are preserved and protected in AB, eh.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
While Albertans are peeved on and off over time, I doubt if leaving is the answer. My suggestion is this (TIC):

Move the Canadian Capital from Ottawa to the middle of Manitoba so it's more central (maybe a little to the east, but not much). Insist that any future immigration be evenly scattered throughout the country - not Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver or Calgary - but urban as well as suburban. Oh, and each province gets exactly the same amount of representatives irrespective of population. They can maybe have an additional "aide" or two to assist them if they absolutely have to.

JMHO

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
While Albertans are peeved on and off over time, I doubt if leaving is the answer. My suggestion is this (TIC):

Move the Canadian Capital from Ottawa to the middle of Manitoba so it's more central (maybe a little to the east, but not much). Insist that any future immigration be evenly scattered throughout the country - not Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver or Calgary - but urban as well as suburban. Oh, and each province gets exactly the same amount of representatives irrespective of population. They can maybe have an additional "aide" or two to assist them if they absolutely have to.

JMHO
I'm all for it. Please, please take our million newcomers per decade! They clump together into huge ghettos and it is really unhealthy to Canadian culture! I can't imagine that there is any policy determining where newcomers are to settle. They go where they want to which, for the most part, is where others like them have settled. The West definitely needs more, ... many more.

As far as moving the Capital, Ottawa is our fourth capital after Newark (now Niagara-on-the-lake) York (now Toronto) Kingston (now Kingston) then Ottawa. It was strategically relevant at the time to put it there but that significance has blown away with history.The location of the Capital is not carved in stone and, indeed, it can be moved West. Quebecers might not be to happy as Ottawa strattles the Quebec border and the bilingualism requirements to working in the Federal Civil Service means that a hell of a lot of Quebecers are employed there(and the buggers commute home to Hull every evening)

If it helps national unity, move the national capital to Selkirk and send 100,000 Pakistanis a year to Airdrie.

Last edited:

bluebyrd35

Council Member
Aug 9, 2008
Ormstown.Chat.Valley
Don't wanna answer the question, eh?... Might make you seem, uhhh, hypocritical?
LOl my word,I get a great kick out of how nick-pickie some people are.

I have looked at electric cars and it really doesn't work well in my situation. It means I would have to have so much stuff delivered,weekly, monthly by truck an electric car would cost more in polution than it saves. I live on a farm. Truck deliveries, for everything I get in my van every week, would put put up MY environmental footprint in the ridiculous zone. Oh and that vehicle is exceptionally great on gas.

Yesterday, 10 bags of salt for the water softener, 4 - 8 foot boards for repairing a barn problem, my weekly groceries, and before hand, a gym visit. I have carried bricks, bags of cement, furniture, garden & farm supplies. Oh and when it is not loaded with supplies, it can actually carries 8 people comfortably and fairly often as well. Oh those bags of salt are on the back deck awaiting enough energy to get down to the basement.

So, as I said an electric car is not exactly the epitome of energy saving for everyone, and in many cases ends up a poor choice for some. A thermo-pump combined with gas for when it gets too cold to work, good energy saving windows, and plenty of insulation in a farm house built before 1850, are better choices for me.

And how does your electric car work for you?

Never heard of preaching by example?
Most greennies believe in do as I tell you to do....not as I do........ergo.... Hypocrites...
I figure my example is pretty blooming good. In the 80's our swimming pool was solar heated by a combination of black plastic pipes on a hand tilted frame. Now the system is considerably more sophisticated. Now what is YOUR contribution to saving energy!!

By the way what has my energy consumption got to do with Alberta leaving Canada!! Oh I remember now, it is the policy of a few here avoid the actual subject to attack the person when they cannot find a decent rebuttal. How tiresome.

I'm all for it. Please, please take our million newcomers per decade! They clump together into huge ghettos and it is really unhealthy to Canadian culture! I can't imagine that there is any policy determining where newcomers are to settle. They go where they want to which, for the most part, is where others like them have settled. The West definitely needs more, ... many more.

As far as moving the Capital, Ottawa is our fourth capital after Newark (now Niagara-on-the-lake) York (now Toronto) Kingston (now Kingston) then Ottawa. It was strategically relevant at the time to put it there but that significance has blown away with history.The location of the Capital is not carved in stone and, indeed, it can be moved West. Quebecers might not be to happy as Ottawa strattles the Quebec border and the bilingualism requirements to working in the Federal Civil Service means that a hell of a lot of Quebecers are employed there(and the buggers commute home to Hull every evening)

If it helps national unity, move the national capital to Selkirk and send 100,000 Pakistanis a year to Airdrie.
hmmm.......Yes, unfortunately, Quebec lost 600,000 people more than they gained over the past decades. Simply threatening to separate from Canada would probably reduce Alberta's population quite nicely. Too bad, so many businesses leave the province that threatens separation as well. Sending back all ex-Quebecers could solve both problems.

Last edited: