Gun Control is Completely Useless.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
I would have brained the twit with either the baseball bat by the door or my 5 lb. wooden rolling pin which I keep on my counter. Oh but wait that fellow would need to use a step ladder to get in any of my downstairs windows. It would be much more fun going out and pushing the ladder over, then braining him. Taking a gun away from a young child is imperative but ripping a gun from the hands of anyone is rather stupid. I am having too much fun to spend my life worrying about "What ifs"

Unfortunately those "what ifs" end badly for those who are even somewhat prepared. A burglar is generally fearful, that's why they try to sneak in, and once confronted will generally turn tail and run. It's the ones who come with intent, the home invaders per se, that are cause for concern. They rarely work alone and are as subtle as a train wreck. They gain access when and where they want and have no regard for your life. Sorry, your bat or rolling pin is of absolutely no use. I've heard many folks talk of how they have a bat, or golf club or some other "weapon" handy just in case, but they have no idea of the resiliency of the human body, especially one numbed of pain by drug use. I have seen and known of people with massive injuries who actually walked into the ER under their own steam, including one with a hatchet buried in his skull. The only cell phone that might be of use would be the old Motorola brick phone, and only if used as a projectile.

As an instructor of mine used to say, "an assailant has never been killed by a loud noise", (referring to the need for training, and good aim). I would add that no assailant has been killed, or even stopped by a voice on the other end of a phone.

bluebyrd35

Council Member
Aug 9, 2008
Ormstown.Chat.Valley
Unfortunately those "what ifs" end badly for those who are even somewhat prepared. A burglar is generally fearful, that's why they try to sneak in, and once confronted will generally turn tail and run. It's the ones who come with intent, the home invaders per se, that are cause for concern. They rarely work alone and are as subtle as a train wreck. They gain access when and where they want and have no regard for your life. Sorry, your bat or rolling pin is of absolutely no use. I've heard many folks talk of how they have a bat, or golf club or some other "weapon" handy just in case, but they have no idea of the resiliency of the human body, especially one numbed of pain by drug use. I have seen and known of people with massive injuries who actually walked into the ER under their own steam, including one with a hatchet buried in his skull. The only cell phone that might be of use would be the old Motorola brick phone, and only if used as a projectile.

As an instructor of mine used to say, "an assailant has never been killed by a loud noise", (referring to the need for training, and good aim). I would add that no assailant has been killed, or even stopped by a voice on the other end of a phone.
All of what you say is true,,,,,,,but even supposing one got the gun out of the locked gun cabinet in time, with three (if as you say the thieves often go in packs and rapidly) I presume they also have guns. The thieves now have the home-owners gun along with everything else of value, including his/her life. After all what thief wants a general description of him circulating about.

bluebyrd35

Council Member
Aug 9, 2008
Ormstown.Chat.Valley
that is what they have always been doing, Bluebyrd
That has not been my experience in either country. Most single mothers have a difficult time putting food on the table, never mind for buying a gun. This year I find the people begging on the street, has increased and they often look as though they are homeless.

Don't see this as often in Canada, probably because of the weather.

So it is stupid to keep guns locked away from children?? Or even teen age males who rarely show common sense? (It seems to me that many of the latter do not show any better sense when they are middle aged)

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
All of what you say is true,,,,,,,but even supposing one got the gun out of the locked gun cabinet in time, with three (if as you say the thieves often go in packs and rapidly) I presume they also have guns. The thieves now have the home-owners gun along with everything else of value, including his/her life. After all what thief wants a general description of him circulating about.

You would be wise to assume they are all armed, but in most cases only one has a firearm, (armed also includes other offensive weapons). You also assume the homeowner's gun is locked away or otherwise hard to access, the assailants may also assume so at their peril. Many people assume that a gun will do the work for you, the abolitionists also think everyone who owns a firearm for defense thinks likewise. You don't go out and buy a helicopter, hit the start switch and expect to fly it; likewise competent use of a defense firearm requires hours of training and practice. It is not the same as hunting or going to the range on Saturday afternoons. It takes a level of dedication.

The only way I can see a thief or gang getting a homeowner's gun is either they know where it is ahead of time or he/she gives it to them, a suicide move if ever there was one. If they entered armed, they wouldn't need it.

TV and the movies might be where a lot of folks get their education, but its all wrong. Training in armed self defense is available and responsible folks do take advantage of it, even 85 year old grandmas. Its not all point and shoot, sometimes its like a game of poker, albeit played at the speed of light.

Yes, people buy guns and don't bother with getting the training, just as people buy watercraft, vehicles, power tools and figure they can use them right out of the box, some (mostly Americans, but not always), even buy airplanes and helicopters and don't get training, and make for some very interesting video.

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012

The complete solution involves slowing the burglar down by hardening the perimeter with things like thorny bushes in front of windows and reinforced doors. In the absence of a security system, there are other early detection strategies like a dog, or dollarstore alarms.

Handguns are not expensive. Anyone that can afford an iPad can afford a gun. No need to be concerned about gun jams, a revolver doesn't jam( BTW your comment about jamß suggests that your knowledge of guns is very limited.).

Also, the 70s called, they want you back. Gun safes are no longer difficult and slow to open. While you struggle with 23l - 15r - 52l, mine has a keyless number pad, opening it is as easy as opening my truck door. It cost me $250, a little less than the xbox3 that most single mothers buy for their son.

Just one more comment directed at anyone who might be listening to bluebyrd, unlocking a burglar's empathy is extremely rare. If he has a knife, expect to be cut. If he has a gun, expect to be shot.

Please, for heaven's sake, don't be unarmed. You understand the value of a fire extinguisher, a first aid kit,a case of water in the pantry, candles on the màntel. You do all these things in spite of your cellphone. 911 is great but you don't bet your life on it, do you?

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
The complete solution involves slowing the burglar down by hardening the perimeter with things like thorny bushes in front of windows and reinforced doors. In the absence of a security system, there are other early detection strategies like a dog, or dollarstore alarms.

Handguns are not expensive. Anyone that can afford an iPad can afford a gun. No need to be concerned about gun jams, a revolver doesn't jam( BTW your comment about jamß suggests that your knowledge of guns is very limited.).

Also, the 70s called, they want you back. Gun safes are no longer difficult and slow to open. While you struggle with 23l - 15r - 52l, mine has a keyless number pad, opening it is as easy as opening my truck door. It cost me $250, a little less than the xbox3 that most single mothers buy for their son.

Just one more comment directed at anyone who might be listening to bluebyrd, unlocking a burglar's empathy is extremely rare. If he has a knife, expect to be cut. If he has a gun, expect to be shot.

Please, for heaven's sake, don't be unarmed. You understand the value of a fire extinguisher, a first aid kit,a case of water in the pantry, candles on the màntel. You do all these things in spite of your cellphone. 911 is great but you don't bet your life on it, do you?

Of course the storm is not going to take the water away from you and drown you.

the xbox3 that most single mothers buy for their son.

This suggests your knowledge of modern computer games is very limited. Oh and maybe that you are a misogynist. Also that you make sweeping generalities.

Good day sir.

Rick A

Don’t presume… ask!
Jan 22, 2016
Victoria BC
Partly, and their $250 million dollar system STILL doesn't work well, and is accessible by hackers (according to the agency's own computer guy). Nice of the gov't to provide criminals with a nice list of addresses where they can find guns, isn't it?

Especially at the low, low price of a quarter of a billion (taxpayer)dollars.

As well, the Auditor-General blamed the fact that the administration of the registry distrusted anyone that owned guns, and viewed that as a questionable activity. This attitude ballooned costs as the bureaucrats wasted time and resources harassing honest gun owners. That's the A-G's opinion, mind you. And I don't think she secretly packs a 9mm.

In the old system it cost about 100 bucks to register a gun......when they set up this system, folks from the firearms community went before the Justice Committee and warned them the system could cost as much as ONE HALF BILLION DOLLARS!! They were ridiculed by the Liberal controled committee.

The system has now cost four times that much.
I agree its the guns that have issues that are the problem, Oh wait, whats that holding the gun? The only questionable purpose for a gun registry is to count guns so you can extract a tax on law abiding citizens.

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
Adding a tax to the sales of ammo would be much more efficient way to collect taxes from law abiding citizens.

bluebyrd35

Council Member
Aug 9, 2008
Ormstown.Chat.Valley

Gun Study Database | Armed With Reason

Or http://www.futureswithoutviolence.org/the-facts-on-guns-and-domestic-violence/

Do the download on the last one.

Last edited:

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
What you are really saying is:if my wife brings a gun into my house,it makes me more likely to murder.

This is assinine for several reasons but I only need a few to show how misinformed you are.

I already have a gun in my house. A second gun does not change my long standing commitment to love and cherish my spouse. The first gun didn't. The second gun won't. There is no room for discussion on this. You are absolutely wrong.

However, if I entertain your rediculous notion that a second gun will influence my mindset, then you have ignored the fact that a firearm has an equalizing quality to it. The world becomes much friendlier to armed men when wives stay unarmed, ie disarming the wife will remove any chance of equalization.

One again, I will point out that your views on firearms for women is down right cruel.

Last edited:

bluebyrd35

Council Member
Aug 9, 2008
Ormstown.Chat.Valley
What you are really saying is:if my wife brings a gun into my house,it makes me more likely to murder.

This is assinine for several reasons but I only need a few to show how misinformed you are.

I already have a gun in my house. A second gun does not change my long standing commitment to love and cherish my spouse. The first gun didn't. The second gun won't. There is no room for discussion on this. You are absolutely wrong.

However, if I entertain your rediculous notion that a second gun will influence my mindset, then you have ignored the fact that a firearm has an equalizing quality to it. The world becomes much friendlier to armed men when wives stay unarmed, ie disarming the wife will remove any chance of equalization.

One again, I will point out that your views on firearms for women is down right cruel.
LOl, I just love the way you heap all your angst on me!! Give it a rest, they are not MY stats. My views on firearms for women are what they always were.....they are the same for men as well. Anyone who needs a weapon to protect them from life, that is their problem......... except when they try to push their need to fear onto others.

Because you and others feel the need for a gun or two or three, there are many who do not. Many are content not to have them. All I want is to continue with background checks, training in how to care and use them and when NOT to. Keeping as many as possible out of the hands of criminals, mentally ill, terrorists or children is sensible as well. AND yes I know we have exactly that in Canada.

And many single parents do not have pc's cell phones and very often not enough food on the table or adequate money for school supplies, or decent clothing never mind a gun.

All I am pointing out is that there is great danger to having a gun. You point out that I am cruel for leaving it as a choice, with rules. Well I say you are more so for making fear and worry a reason for having a gun. Because I am comfortable without a weapon, there are some who for one reason or another are not.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
LOl, I just love the way you heap all your angst on me!! Give it a rest, they are not MY stats. My views on firearms for women are what they always were.....they are the same for men as well. Anyone who needs a weapon to protect them from life, that is their problem......... except when they try to push their need to fear onto others.

One thing for sure, Dearie...................you have tenacity! :)

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
All I want is to continue with background checks, training in how to care and use them and when NOT to. Keeping as many as possible out of the hands of criminals, mentally ill, terrorists or children is sensible as well. AND yes I know we have exactly that in Canada.

Once again you demonstrate poor logic when it comes to validating Canadian laws.

It is simply not enough to say Canada is better than the US(we have always been that way).

You need to make a case that all these measures have made a positive impact. This is not an easy case to make.

Did you know that the trends show more correlation to an aging baby boomer population than they do to the actual laws that were passed.

Last edited:

bluebyrd35

Council Member
Aug 9, 2008
Ormstown.Chat.Valley
Logic!! ....Guns in the US: The statistics behind the violence - BBC News

There were 13286 killed and 26819 injured by guns and that does not include the last week of the year, which is generally the highest in the year.

there were 372 mass shootings with 425 deaths. There were 64 school shootings.

The chart gives some idea of how well our laws work. I would say that is validation enough wouldn't you??

Last edited: