Is the world starting to turn against Bill Cosby?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Yet, probably just as many as who have heard of Barack Obama!

Nearly the whole world would know Barack Obama because of his political importance. I don't even know if the Cosby show was available in French in CQuebec let alone Chinese in China.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Nearly the whole world would know Barack Obama because of his political importance. I don't even know if the Cosby show was available in French in CQuebec let alone Chinese in China.

if they were lucky....it wasn't

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I have always enjoyed the comedy of Bill Cosby and found his views regarding his own culture honest and refreshing. I had a lot of his albums as a kid.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Cosby had been a great hero to many right wingers because he bashed black men and welfare moms:

Bill Cosby Bashes Thugs and Welfare Moms: ‘We Can’t Blame White People’ | American Overlook

But the mighty have fallen and those same right wingers no longer love him because he has been nothing but a Pharisee all this time:

Asked Repeatedly About Rape Allegations In National Interview, Bill Cosby Responds With Silence | ThinkProgress

Bill Cosby, who became something of a national father figure as Heathcliff Huxtable on The Cosby Show, is facing increasing pressure to address serious allegations of rape and sexual assault by multiple women. Asked directly and repeatedly on Saturday about the allegations on a national NPR interview, Cosby responded with complete silence.
SCOTT SIMON: “This question gives me no pleasure Mr. Cosby, but there have been serious allegations raised about you in recent days.”
BILL COSBY: [SILENCE]
SIMON: “You’re shaking your head no. I’m in the news business. I have to ask the question. Do you have any response to those charges?”
COSBY: [SILENCE]
SIMON: “Shaking your head no. There are people who love you who might like to hear from you about this. I want to give you the chance.”
COSBY: [SILENCE]
You can listen to the awkward exchange here.
Cosby has also canceled a scheduled appearance on the Late Show with David Letterman.
The allegations against Cosby, which have been public since at least 2004, have attracted increased interest after they became the subject of a standup routine by comic Hannibal Buress.
He gets on TV, ‘Pull your pants up black people, I was on TV in the 80s. I can talk down to you because I had a successful sitcom.’ Yeah, but you rape women, Bill Cosby, so turn the crazy down a couple notches.
Barbara Bowman, one of Cosby’s accusers who has spoken publicly about the alleged assault for 10 years, has “struggled to get people to take my story seriously.” Why was it, Bowman asked, “[o]nly after a man, Hannibal Buress, called Bill Cosby a rapist in a comedy act last month did the public outcry begin in earnest.”
Despite the controversy, Cosby recently inked a deal with NBC to create a new sitcom.
Cosby has never been charged with rape. He did settle a lawsuit in 2006 filed by one of his accusers out of court. The terms of the settlement remain confidential.
UPDATE
Bill Cosby’s lawyer, John P. Schmitt, released a statement Sunday saying they would not “dignify these allegations with any comment.” Full statement below:
Over the last several weeks, decade-old, discredited allegations against Mr. Cosby have resurfaced. The fact that they are being repeated does not make them true. Mr. Cosby does not intend to dignify these allegations with any comment. He would like to thank all his fans for the outpouring of support and assure them that, at age 77, he is doing his best work. There will be no further statement from Mr. Cosby or any of his representatives.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Cosby had been a great hero to many right wingers because he bashed black men and welfare moms:
So a black man with a long history of supporting black causes, including multi-million dollar donations to HBCUs, calling on black people to be more responsible, is bashing?

What next? Will Cosby be a racist as well as a rapist?

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
"bashing" ???

You might try asking him to answer that. After all, he gained lots of right wing fans with those words while losing a number of black fans.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
i100 ‏@thei100

Male TV host to alleged Bill Cosby rape victim: Did you try not to be raped?
http://i100.io/QKrbwdg

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
things are not looking good for him

and they are getting worse by the day

He settled because he had the big bucks and wanted to retain the reputation he made for himself as scholar/role model and America's "# 1 dad". Remember that these accusations were in several states (Florida, California, NY, Pennsylvania) and the alleged actions had similar patterns. Had any of this gone to trial, even if he were not found liable, his reputation would have tarnished beyond repair and that would have been the end of his lucrative Hollywood career.

yes the patterns are all the same and span decades

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Honestly.. you'd think someone with hundreds of millions in the bank and all the celebrity and adulation one can imagine.. doesn't need to drug teenage starlets.. for comotose sex. Sounds like something a sophomore fraternity member might engage in.

It really doesn't sound like that much fun. It seems to raise an the specture of a deeply insecure, predatory and sociopathic personality. I guess Dr. Huxtable was just a front.. for a much darker character.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Honestly.. you'd think someone with hundreds of millions in the bank and all the celebrity and adulation one can imagine.. doesn't need to drug teenage starlets.. for comotose sex. Sounds like something a sophomore fraternity member might engage in.

It really doesn't sound like that much fun. It seems to raise an the specture of a deeply insecure, predatory and sociopathic personality. I guess Dr. Huxtable was just a front.. for a much darker character.
good summation

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Well, I need quite a bit of substantial proof before I will turn on a man, but I have to think his silence on the matter isn't doing him any good!