Is the world starting to turn against Bill Cosby?

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
The man once known as “America’s Dad” is too radioactive for daytime television.

Bill Cosby, who was scheduled to appear as a guest on “The Queen Latifah Show” to promote his new comedy tour, is no longer going to be on the show.

TMZ initially reported producers rescinded the invitation, but updated the story with a statement from the show’s spokesman saying Cosby’s appearance was “postponed at his request.” The change came just days after the Daily Mail published Barbara Bowman’s account of the alleged sexual abuse she said she suffered at Cosby’s hands.

These allegations have been reported for years — before Bowman spoke to the Daily Mail, she spoke to Newsweek in February. Cosby has said almost nothing about the accusations. His publicist told Newsweek: “This is a 10-year-old, discredited accusation that proved to be nothing at the time, and is still nothing.”

Tamara Green spoke to Matt Lauer on the “Today” show in 2005 about her alleged experiences and in February to Newsweek. In 2004, Andrea Constand filed suit against Cosby for battery, assault, and intentional infliction of emotional distress, alleging that Cosby had drugged and raped her. Thirteen women came forward with their own allegations and agreed to testify as witnesses if the suit went to trial. Cosby settled in 2006.

more

Is the world starting to turn against Bill Cosby? - The Washington Post

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Again I reserve judgement until the evidence in placed before a court of law
or dismissed for not being true, either way I'll wait. By the way I never did like
his show it this has no effect on me one way or another

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Thirteen women came forward with their own allegations and agreed to testify as witnesses if the suit went to trial. Cosby settled in 2006.

scuse me?

I am likely one of the few in the world who wasn't a huge fan...he's okay but he's become edgier as he has aged and I prefer him more now

that's a lot of women...and he settled, why?

Again I reserve judgement until the evidence in placed before a court of law
or dismissed for not being true, either way I'll wait. By the way I never did like
his show it this has no effect on me one way or another

I just read your reply now...that is quite a number of women

I didn't like the show either

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
I agree with DG - prove it or not in court.

That he settled puts the question of validity - at least to me - on both him AND the woman.

My question to the woman would be: If he did such a horrible thing, why the heck settle?! Get him out of society, FFS.

My question to him would be: why did you settle; guilt, truth of the claim or (and this is so very not likely) pity for the woman?

Anytime anyone settles out of court for something this serious, I question both parties and the truth of it all.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I agree with DG - prove it or not in court.

That he settled puts the question of validity - at least to me - on both him AND the woman.

My question to the woman would be: If he did such a horrible thing, why the heck settle?! Get him out of society, FFS.

My question to him would be: why did you settle; guilt, truth of the claim or (and this is so very not likely) pity for the woman?

Anytime anyone settles out of court for something this serious, I question both parties and the truth of it all.

I would not want to go up against someone with that amount of power via his wealth and influence.

Although, others went up against the RC church and won so that is likely no excuse.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Sal; said:
scuse me?

I am likely one of the few in the world who wasn't a huge fan...he's okay but he's become edgier as he has aged and I prefer him more now

I just read your reply now...that is quite a number of women

I didn't like the show either

He settled because he had the big bucks and wanted to retain the reputation he made for himself as scholar/role model and America's "# 1 dad". Remember that these accusations were in several states (Florida, California, NY, Pennsylvania) and the alleged actions had similar patterns. Had any of this gone to trial, even if he were not found liable, his reputation would have tarnished beyond repair and that would have been the end of his lucrative Hollywood career.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
He settled because he had the big bucks and wanted to retain the reputation he made for himself as scholar/role model and America's "# 1 dad". Remember that these accusations were in several states (Florida, California, NY, Pennsylvania) and the alleged actions had similar patterns. Had any of this gone to trial, even if he were not found liable, his reputation would have tarnished beyond repair and that would have been the end of his lucrative Hollywood career.

Also a possible reason for the lawsuit in the first place. Always weary when the victim pursues a civil retribution against a celebrity rather than a criminal charge.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC

scuse me?

Whether he thought he would lose or not, the reputational damage, as we are now seeing, was worth paying a lot to avoid.

It's the same as people who ask "Well, if (whatever) about Obama isn't true, why isn't he suing for libel?" If the rich and famous litigated every lie told about them, they wouldn't be rich and famous for long.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
America's # 1 dad has taken quite a spill - my, how the mighty have fallen!

I always thought Al Bundy was a , more representative Father figure........

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Having $350 million dollars in the bank probably helps a bit.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Whether he thought he would lose or not, the reputational damage, as we are now seeing, was worth paying a lot to avoid.

It's the same as people who ask "Well, if (whatever) about Obama isn't true, why isn't he suing for libel?" If the rich and famous litigated every lie told about them, they wouldn't be rich and famous for long.

Okay fair enough, that makes sense. I would never be able to sit on a jury for this man, I would have to immediately recuse myself.

He and Julie Andrews make me want to hurl. It's for sure just an energy thing but our energy just never mixed well from the get go. Everyone always LOVED the two of them...I was a kid and I never trusted either. Not saying I was right for everyone else but my space didn't like their space and I trust my gut.

Now from a rational perspective, sometimes squeaky clean is attacked because we frequently project ourselves onto others and we know in our heart squeaky clean may not be us. So I am well aware I may be projecting, but blek...

Now that he is edgier he seems more human to me. Maybe he was just a good people reader and knew the melieu of the time, a black man in a white world clawing his way up, that I could handle. And that I could give, the benefit of the doubt. But then people are never just what is presented by the media.