Winnipeg Jets - Western Canada's Team

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
So with the Vancouver Canucks on the down slide and looking to rebuild, the Flames looking to get rid of the one or two of their players that know how to play and the Oilers failing in every way to live up to even mediocre expectations, it's time to officially name the Winnipeg Jets Western Canada's team. I would call them Canada's team but that would turn the thread into a pissing match between Habs and Leaves fans (who both think hockey begins and ends with their teams). So we will leave eastern Canada (irrelevant as it is) to the easterners and focus on the only team in Western Canada that is moving in the right direction.

Not only are they superior on the ice, it seems that everything they do is a class act.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
So with the Vancouver Canucks on the down slide and looking to rebuild, the Flames looking to get rid of the one or two of their players that know how to play and the Oilers failing in every way to live up to even mediocre expectations, it's time to officially name the Winnipeg Jets Western Canada's team. I would call them Canada's team but that would turn the thread into a pissing match between Habs and Leaves fans (who both think hockey begins and ends with their teams). So we will leave eastern Canada (irrelevant as it is) to the easterners and focus on the only team in Western Canada that is moving in the right direction. .[/QUOTE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
i am a good follower of all western canadian teams, and winnipeg can thank paul maurice for the
resurrection of the jets, as they were going nowhere, and constantly playing without structure at all,
while having a good team individually.

no, i can't name them or any other team, western canada's team. we, in western canada have to stick together,
with our teams, and support all of them, and when one rises while some others fall, keep supporting
all of them. I love the oilers, and their day is coming, they are patiently playing each season with
all of the young talent, while slowly building around them, and all of that young talent will mature
together, and make their mark. calgary are looking like a fun team right now, full of energy and desire,
and they need to add some scoring punch, and keep on keeping on, and they will start to win too.
canucks are starting their transition, can't score right now, and like any team in any sport, time goes
on, players get older, and teams need to tweak and change and regroup and start again. maybe kesler and
one or two others will leave, and gillis can bring in different players, and the team can start to build
some scoring touch again, they have a great young goalie, and on they go.

yeah, lets leave toronto/montreal out of the equation, they are unimportant, it is the east.
their biggest weaknesses is fighting through their feeling of their own importance thinking
they are canada's teams, let them argue that out with each other, while we, in the west quietly
show just how that works.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
No.

Naming a team "Canada's Team" or now "Western Canada's Team" is a bunch of pretentious horse crap. I shake my head every time the media does this with a Canadian team in the playoffs... but when you look at the roster, their American based counterparts have more Canadian players.

If you like the Jets, the Canuknuckle-heads, the Flames, the Oilers or whoever else, go ahead and cheer for them, but don't try and push your bias on me.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
How can "Canada's Team" or "Western Canada's Team" be this if it is not in a position to make the playoffs?

2013-2014 Wild Card Standings - NHL.com - Standings

They are in a position to make the playoffs. They just haven't secured the position. If they play in March like they played in February, they will be in the playoffs. They are one of the hotter teams in the league of late which is more than we can say for the rest of the western Canadian teams.

If you like the Jets, the Canuknuckle-heads, the Flames, the Oilers or whoever else, go ahead and cheer for them, but don't try and push your bias on me.

Then don't come to this thread because you'll get a lot of "bias pushing"

Winnipeg Jets get win as Ondrej Pavelec shuts down Nashville Predators | National Post

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
How can "Canada's Team" or "Western Canada's Team" be this if it is not in a position to make the playoffs?

2013-2014 Wild Card Standings - NHL.com - Standings

Ever since their coaching change, they've been a totally different team. They actually seem to be playing like a team now. I do think they'll be able to make it into the playoffs. Probably no higher than 6th, but that is still a pretty big achievement considering how bad they were playing early in the season.

Even though I root for the Maple Leafs, I do hope that all the Canadian teams make it into the playoffs. That won't happen this year as Edmonton and Calgary look to be too far back to be able to even squeak in.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Ever since their coaching change, they've been a totally different team. They actually seem to be playing like a team now. I do think they'll be able to make it into the playoffs. Probably no higher than 6th, but that is still a pretty big achievement considering how bad they were playing early in the season.

Even though I root for the Maple Leafs, I do hope that all the Canadian teams make it into the playoffs. That won't happen this year as Edmonton and Calgary look to be too far back to be able to even squeak in.

yeah, for sure, that coaching change did wonders, they are much more structured now.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
yeah, for sure, that coaching change did wonders, they are much more structured now.

Sometimes that makes all the difference, sometimes there is too much "baggage" on a team for that to be the fix to their problems.

I should add that I didn't mind Paul Maurice being the Head Coach of the Leafs way back when.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I don't like any of the western teams with the exception of the Jets.
Canucks are useless they were first in a weak division and they
have a ten million dollar backup goalie. Calgary is dysfunctional
Edmonton has outlived its est before date and I still cheer on the
Montreal Canadians always did and always will

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
It's a little early but the Jets, Flames and Nucks are a pleasant surprise. I didn't expect the Flames to score as much and who would have thought the Jets would be in the top ten in goals allowed

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Actually, having lived in Winnipeg for a while and attending a few original Jets games, I've been a fan ever since. I'm still a Leafs fan at heart but Winnipeg is such a close second I don't care who wins the few times they play each other.

I think the only reason the Leafs get called "Canada's team" is because no matter what arena they play in, there's usually a fairly noticeable number of Leaf fans at the game. Other than that...

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
...Not only are they superior on the ice, it seems that everything they do is a class act.

Wow how things have changed in a couple years. The Canucks are struggling and need to do a serious rebuild (no matter how much Benning denies it), the Oilers seem to be resurgent with Connor McDavid rising into the league's echelon of top tier talent, the Flames are an enigma (are they good or not? who knows, not me...) but the Jets have turned into a bunch of head hunting thugs. There's a lot of outrage today over Tom Sestito's cheap shot last night when the Jets "hosted" the Penguins but much of it ignores that the Jets initiated the garbage when they met last month in Pittsburgh, with cheap shots taking out Oli Matta (who is still out) and Justin Schultz.

I hope Sestito gets a lengthy suspension for his hit on Tobias Enstrom: that garbage has no place in hockey anymore, but at the same time unless the NHL acts on ALL hits, such as the missed on the Matta among others, there will be a vigilante aspect to hockey that leads to these acts.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
The Winnipeg Jets have the second coolest logo in the league after the famous "Center Hice" Habs badge.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Forget western Canada. They are Canada's team this year.

Sweet game last night. Despite being riddled with injuries, down two of their top three centers and two of their top D-men they still managed to top the Bolts. I picked them as cup favorites in 2019 but they sure look like serious contenders this year

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009