Olympic chat

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
IOC bans a remembrance sticker at the Olympics because they don't condone political statements.

But they DO allow for rampant patriotism roflcopters.

IOC bans Sarah Burke memorial stickers from helmets - The Globe and Mail

There's always going to be people who impose "rules" because it's the only way they can feel important, having no other skills.

those types definitely didn't get the memo explaining how to be a complete competetor, they are losers.
one can see them at every type of sporting event, the human race definitely has its flaws.

One of the guys is one of the top bowlers in Vernon, like about a 250+ average, so no one says anything.

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Sochi 2014: Jack Whelbourne falls in 1,500m short track final

BBC Sport

Britain's Jack Whelbourne crashed and injured himself in the 1,500m short track speed skating final at Sochi 2014 but hopes to skate on through the pain.

The 22-year-old had defied his world ranking to reach the final but twisted his ankle mid-race and did not finish.

"It's very sore but hopefully I'll be OK for the other two distances," the Nottingham skater told BBC Sport.

Canada's Charles Hamelin won the race ahead of China's Han Tianyu as Viktor Ahn won bronze for hosts Russia.

Ahn won three gold medals and a bronze at the Turin Games eight years ago while competing for South Korea as Ahn Hyun-soo, but switched nationality to Russia and changed his name ahead of competing in Sochi.

Earlier on Monday, British duo Elise Christie and Charlotte Gilmartin came safely through their 500m heats to reach Thursday's quarter-finals.

Whelbourne had created history as the first Briton to reach an Olympic 1,500m short track final.

But, having raced a perfect semi-final to reach the showdown for gold, he rolled his ankle on a black rubber block - used to mark the course - which had become dislodged. "It can be quite common in the sport," he said.

Team GB officials later said Whelbourne had been taken for a precautionary x-ray of his right ankle, which revealed no fracture.

BBC Sport - Sochi 2014: Jack Whelbourne falls in 1,500m short track final

The country which gave the world curling (as it did most other sports) have had a bit of a mixed bag of results:

Sochi 2014: Great Britain curlers have mixed results

BBC Sport

Great Britain's men won but their female counterparts lost on the opening day of curling at the Sochi Games.

David Murdoch's rink scored four points in the sixth end as they beat Russia 7-4.

The women lost a tough match, 6-4, to reigning Olympic and European Champions - and medal rivals - Sweden.

Skip Eve Muirhead was off her game, with a shot accuracy of 61% whereas Sweden skip Margaretha Sigfridsson was higher at 80%.

Britain, considered strong gold medal contenders, have plenty of time to make amends with eight more matches in the round-robin stage of the competition, with the top four advancing to the semi-finals.

GB's male curlers did better than their female compatriots

Muirhead said: "It is always disappointing to lose the first match. It was always going to be a tough one anyway, playing the European champions and world runners-up.

"They are one of the favourites but the game could have gone either way. We got off to a bit of a slow start, managed to claw it back to all square but they played a fantastic shot in the seventh end that gave them that step ahead."

GB men have a second match on Monday, against Sweden at 15:00 GMT.

WINTER OLYMPICS FACT OF THE DAY

The tiny British island of Ailsa Craig, located in the Firth of Clyde and measuring just over 219 acres, provides the world with curling stones. The island's granite has been used to make curling stones - curling is a Scottish sport - since the 19th Century and still is today. Around 70% of all the world's curling stones today were once part of Ailsa Craig.

BBC Sport - Sochi 2014: Great Britain curlers have mixed results

Last edited:

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Alex Bilodeau wins Gold in Men's Freestyle Moguls and Michael Kingsbury takes the Silver. Rock on guys!

Last edited:

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Apparently, for the first time in Olympic history, Canada currently leads in the medal count. Wahoosie.........Rock on Canada!:canada:

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

Dara Howell on the left won Gold in the Ladies Slopestyle Skiing Event and Kim Lamarre on the right took the Bronze for Canada. Rock on Ladies! :canada:

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
The tiny British island of Ailsa Craig,
located in the Firth of Clyde and measuring just over 219 acres, provides the
world with curling stones. The island's granite has been used to make curling
stones - curling is a Scottish sport - since the 19th Century and still is
today. Around 70% of all the world's curling stones today were once part of
Ailsa Craig

That's interesting.. i was unaware of that.. and a bit surprising since Canada contains the largest exposed precambrian granite rock mass in the world.. the Canadian Shield.. but i suppose there is a unique consistency of quartz, mica and felspar that make the Ailsa Craig Rock special.

Apparently, for the first time in Olympic history, Canada currently leads in the medal count. Wahoosie.........Rock on Canada!:canada:

It'd be difficult to outdo Vancouver in winning the most Golds.. and outdo the Norwegians in Cross Country Skiing of the Dutch in Speedskating.. there are some events that i always focus on.. Individual Figure Skating.. 4 Man Bobsled.. Alpine Skiing.. (all of which are dominated by the Europeans of Americans)... but there is Curling (about the only time i watch the sport).. and of course.. there's that Hockey thing. :)

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Canada again demonstrates grace and understanding. Man done good. Made Canada proud
Sochi 2014 - CBC Sports - Canadian cross-country coach Justin Wadsworth lends ski to Russian skier

Justin Wadsworth may be the head coach of the Canadian cross-country team, but that doesn’t mean he won’t help a rival skier in need.

When Russia’s Anton Gafarov crashed and broke a ski during a semifinal heat in the men’s cross-country sprint, Wadsworth was right there to help.

Gafarov was clearly out of the race, but still wanted to finish in front of the home crowd. But his ski was too badly damaged in the crash and he took another tumble into the snow.

That’s when Wadsworth went to help. The Canadian coach ran onto the slope, spare ski in hand, and quickly fastened it to Gafarov’s boot, drawing a cheer from the crowd.

"It's kind of like seeing an animal in a trap," Wadsworth said. "I just couldn't let him sit there."

Though the Russian was three minutes behind his competitors, he still finished the race thanks to the Canadian coach’s help.

It brought back memories of the 2006 Olympics in Torino, when Norwegian coach Bjornar Haakensmoen helped out Canadian cross-country skier Sara Renner in the team sprint event. Renner broke her ski pole halfway through the race, and Haakensmoen provided her with a new one.

Ironically, the move prevented Norway from winning a medal in the event, as Renner and Beckie Scott won silver, while the Norwegians finished in fourth. As a token of their appreciation, fans across Canada donated five tonnes of maple syrup to Haakensmoen as a thank you gift.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Canada again demonstrates grace and understanding. Man done good. Made Canada proud
Sochi 2014 - CBC Sports - Canadian cross-country coach Justin Wadsworth lends ski to Russian skier

Justin Wadsworth may be the head coach of the Canadian cross-country team, but that doesn’t mean he won’t help a rival skier in need.

When Russia’s Anton Gafarov crashed and broke a ski during a semifinal heat in the men’s cross-country sprint, Wadsworth was right there to help.

Gafarov was clearly out of the race, but still wanted to finish in front of the home crowd. But his ski was too badly damaged in the crash and he took another tumble into the snow.

That’s when Wadsworth went to help. The Canadian coach ran onto the slope, spare ski in hand, and quickly fastened it to Gafarov’s boot, drawing a cheer from the crowd.

"It's kind of like seeing an animal in a trap," Wadsworth said. "I just couldn't let him sit there."

Though the Russian was three minutes behind his competitors, he still finished the race thanks to the Canadian coach’s help.

It brought back memories of the 2006 Olympics in Torino, when Norwegian coach Bjornar Haakensmoen helped out Canadian cross-country skier Sara Renner in the team sprint event. Renner broke her ski pole halfway through the race, and Haakensmoen provided her with a new one.

Ironically, the move prevented Norway from winning a medal in the event, as Renner and Beckie Scott won silver, while the Norwegians finished in fourth. As a token of their appreciation, fans across Canada donated five tonnes of maple syrup to Haakensmoen as a thank you gift.
I heard about this today. How absolutely awesome!!! I was so proud when I heard, it was the right thing to do ♦

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I heard about this today. How absolutely awesome!!! I was so proud when I heard, it was the right thing to do ♦

When Justin Wadsworth was interviewed by CTV, he told the reporter that he wanted to see the Russian skier finish the race, in front the hometown fans, with some dignity. Great examples by both men of the spirit of the Olympic Games.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
When Justin Wadsworth was interviewed by CTV, he told the reporter that he wanted to see the Russian skier finish the race, in front the hometown fans, with some dignity. Great examples by both men of the spirit of the Olympic Games.

Yep, I was "moved" when I saw that on Global News tonight.