Toronto Eaton Centre shooting kills 1, injures 7

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

Toronto police have confirmed that a Saturday evening shooting in the Eaton Centre has left one man dead and seven others injured.

Const. Victor Kwong said that one victim was pronounced dead at the downtown shopping mall. Kwong listed the genders and conditions of all eight victims and the ages of three, which are as follows:

Male, 25, dead
Male, 20, critical condition
Male, 13, critical condition
Female, no age given, serious condition
Male, no age given, serious condition
Female, no age given, serious condition
Pregnant female, no age given, went into labour after being knocked down
Female, no age given, grazed by bullet

"At this time we do not have the shooter," said Kwong. Investigators have not yet released a description of the suspect, nor clarified whether they are looking for more than one person.

Kwong added that the police have received conflicting reports and are still reviewing multiple videos submitted by the public.

Charlotte Holmgren, an eye-witness who was at the Eaton Centre at the time of the shooting and heard the shots, said that the incident took place in the mall's north end food court.

Toronto Mayor Rob Ford spoke to reporters outside the Eaton Centre at about 9:30 p.m. ET.

"As soon as I heard the news I got in my car," he said. "This incident tonight is absolutely terrible. We want to make sure these people are apprehended and arrested."

Ford expressed particular concern over the 13-year-old boy in critical condition.

"It really pulls on my heart strings when you hear something like that," he said, adding that he had spent the afternoon coaching football players around the boy's age.

"I really hope the young man pulls through."

Chaos erupts at the food court

Witnesses who were in the food court when the shooting began told CBC's Amanda Margison that shoppers abandoned everything from strollers to purses as they fled. Others hid beneath tables until police ordered a full evacuation.

One employee in a noodle store told Margison she heard at least five gunshots, as she and several others ran into the storage room and locked themselves inside.

The shopping centre was surrounded by emergency vehicles, as police cordoned off the section of Yonge Street between Queen and Dundas streets.

Videos posted to Twitter showed a man in a stretcher being loaded into the back of an ambulance in the aftermath of the incident, which took place at around 6:30 p.m.

A witness told CBC News that crowds of people ran from the scene with "terror" on their faces.

One witness described seeing at least one person shot, adding that she originally thought she was caught up in a shooting spree.

The Toronto Transit Commission has suspended subway service to Queen and Dundas stations. The Queen and Dundas streetcars were diverted at Church Street to the east and Bay Street to the west to avoid Yonge street.

Toronto Eaton Centre shooting kills 1, injures 7 - Toronto - CBC News

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Ah yes, more proof of just how much safer gun ownership makes us.

Don't be ridiculous.

First of all, you can never be safe.............nor can you be free if you insist on being increasingly protected from every eventuality.

You know as well as I do this was probably a gang-banger, outside the law, using a handgun smuggled from God-knows-where.

Now, explain to me how restricting my access to guns would have in any way effected this shooting???

Here, let me answer for you; It wouldn't.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Don't be ridiculous.

First of all, you can never be safe.............nor can you be free if you insist on being increasingly protected from every eventuality.

You know as well as I do this was probably a gang-banger, outside the law, using a handgun smuggled from God-knows-where.

Now, explain to me how restricting my access to guns would have in any way effected this shooting???

If they charge the gunmaker for the death of the person at the Eatons Centre then gun crimes would go down

MapleDog

Time Out
Jun 1, 2012
St Calixte Quebec Canada
If they charge the gunmaker for the death of the person at the Eatons Centre then gun crimes would go down
Too bad it can't be done,or we could also crge the brewries,bar tavern and auto manufacturers for the deaths on the road.

As for guns its too late for any laws like that,with all the guns that are available,and coming from other countries,guess to be safe we'll have to lock ourselves in our houses forever,or move to isolated island in the middle of the ocean.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Too bad it can't be done,or we could also crge the brewries,bar tavern and auto manufacturers for the deaths on the road.

As for guns its too late for any laws like that,with all the guns that are available,and coming from other countries,guess to be safe we'll have to lock ourselves in our houses forever,or move to isolated island in the middle of the ocean.

Yep, and we could charge knife manufacturers for stabbings, car manufacturers for drive-by shootings and for vehicular homicide attacks, sporting goods manufacturers for attacks with baseball bats and hockey sticks, skillet manufacturers for the woman that beats smacks hubby with the cast iron frying pan, pencil manufacturers for anyone stabbed with a pencil, wire manufacturers for garrottings, bath-tub manufacturers can be charged next time Mom drowns her kids,.....well, you get the idea.

And in five years you won't be able to but anything.....except maybe crayons.

MapleDog

Time Out
Jun 1, 2012
St Calixte Quebec Canada
Makes me think what was the point of this expensive gun registry bill,if Harper decided to flush it down the drain,as for weapons in jail they learn how to make weapons with anything,and if you can't buy a gun,now problem we have enough imagination to find other things/ways to kill.

"Human the most fraked up animal"

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
[youtube]Un7NdKHgKpg[/youtube]

I hope they catch the gunman soon.. with all the closed circuit camera's they should be able to track the idiot down.. I hope he puts up a fight when the police arrest him.. and saves the taxpayer the cost of a trial.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Don't be ridiculous.

My challenge to pro gun types still stands. Give me an example of an incident where firearms prevented a crime and I will match it with one that shows guns promoting one. The point is that gun ownership has no deterrent effect to crime anywhere that I know of.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
My challenge to pro gun types still stands. Give me an example of an incident where firearms prevented a crime and I will match it with one that shows guns promoting one. The point is that gun ownership has no deterrent effect to crime anywhere that I know of.

Wrong.

First of all, guns are inanimate objects, they neither promote nor prevent crime.....they are used by individuals to commit or to prevent crimes.

And they are used for defense much more often than you think.

Here is the definitive work on the subject:

Guns and Self-Defense by Gary Kleck, Ph.D.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
This is not a gun control issue, it is the issue of criminal intent that was
carried out. I think the laws we have must be enforced when it comes
to violent crimes like this. I have always been against the death penalty,
but today we have many more ways to prove whether or not someone is
guilty or not.
The death penalty is more about vengeance than justice really because like
gun control. whether or not we execute someone we will be no safer at the
end of the day. People who are going to commit murder like this don't
care about execution, they care about fame, they care about history.
If you really want to take the edge off serious crime, the first step is to make
sure the name of the criminal is not mentioned. make sure his or her picture
is never published. All the world hears is a moron has been found guilty
of the murder of a who ever. Once there is no camera, no printers ink and
no mention of the criminals name the incidents might even stop.
People who do this feel so insignificant the only way they will be remember is
for an act of violence. If they won't be remembered there is no point in doing
the crime is there.
Oh and to his credit Mayor Ford handled himself well on the medial outlets today.