‘You Can’t Cherry Pick the Worst Aspects of a Religion’

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Jon Stewart Slams Critics of Mitt Romney’s Mormon Faith

Jon Stewart is known for tackling some of the day’s toughest, most controversial issues from a comedic — and leftist — perspective. On Wednesday evening, he delved into Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney’s Mormonism, taking aim at some of the individuals who have attempted to make it an issue during the electoral season. While he went after critics of the faith, he also threw in a few digs at the GOP frontrunner.

“There’s nothing frightening about [Romney] being a Mormon to me,” Stewart said. “Apparently some in the Republican Party’s evangelical base think otherwise.”
Stewart played a number of clips from the past six months from people like Bryan Fischer of the American Family Association, the Rev. Franklin Graham and Pastor Robert Jeffrees. In each instance, these religious figures indicated that the candidate is not a Christian in the traditional sense. Then, the comedian characterized Jeffrees’ most recent endorsement of Romney as an example of: “I hate Barack Obama more than I love Jesus.”

more

Jon Stewart Slams Critics of Mitt Romney’s Mormon Faith | Video | TheBlaze.com

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
If you study the Church of Latter Day Saints, they are NOT Christian in any conventional sense of that word.

But, a persons religion should never be a political issue in the USA.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I watched that last night and he was doing comedy and satire and he used valid clips of
the faithful stating their own opinions. As for religion being a factor, the only people who
seem intent on making religion a factor is the born again crowd themselves. I guess to
be fair, the extreme elements of the born again crowd. If I were running for President,
I would not want these people in my corner. The religious groups and the Tea Party,
are making a mockery out of the Republican Party. Santorum is a religious nut, Newt
of a religious flim flam man, Ron Paul is a joke, and Romney is also an embarrassment.