What is going on south of 49?

Liberalman
Quote: Originally Posted by MowichView Post

Makes you wonder, doesn't it Gilbert.........considering the fact that my 5 sisters and I not only survived but helped Dad with the seeding and harvesting and all the other various farm chores with nary a scratch.

You do realize that without the help of 'children' many farmers would not have been able to farm. Children having been working on farms for generations, liberalman..........so get a grip.

I understand that and in other countries the sweatshop owners would not be able to run their businesses if not for the cheap labour of the children

Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Forced?

Yes forced

Most helpful post: The members here have rated this post as best reply.
petros
+2
Forced how? My fondest childhood memories are of working with my dad and grandad and when all was said and done going to the CO-OP to buy myself something cool with the money I made.

Liberalman

Forced how? My fondest childhood memories are of working with my dad and grandad and when all was said and done going to the CO-OP to buy myself something cool with the money I made.

If you would have said no I am sure going to the wood shed would be your fate

Mowich
Quote: Originally Posted by LiberalmanView Post

The kids who take drugs want to but the kids on the farm are forced to do the chores by their parents so no comparison

I have no idea where you get your info from, liberalman..........but we weren't 'forced' to do anything. We grew up understanding that running big farm was a 'family' business and that everyone pitched in to help.

petros
+1

Nooooo my fate would have been not getting jack **** from CO-OP with the money I made and not being able to be like my dad and grandad by working hard. I earned the respect and pride of my dad and grandad by manning up and doing what men do.

Mowich
+1

You simply have absolutely no understanding of what growing up on a working farm means, liberalman. You don't get decent work out of anyone who is 'forced' to do so............nor do you get kids who are aware of the dangers of working around farm machinery as angry kids don't pay attention to what they are doing and are much more prone to 'accidents'.

Nooooo my fate would have been not getting jack **** from CO-OP with the money I made and not being able to be like my dad and grandad by working hard. I earned the respect and pride of my dad and grandad by manning up and doing what men do.

petros
It must have really sucked for guys like Liberal man to have to wait until they were 15 and 1/2 to learn to drive.

Mowich
+1

It must have really sucked for guys like Liberal man to have to wait until they were 15 and 1/2 to learn to drive.

LOL! Isn't that the truth.............I can remember my friends in the city being soooo jealous that I got to drive big trucks long before they could even get their learners permits.

petros
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by MowichView Post

LOL! Isn't that the truth.............I can remember my friends in the city being soooo jealous that I got to drive big trucks long before they could even get their learners permits.

I had the split axle 10 speed 10 ton mastered by the time I was 12

Liberalman

I guess then one can say that about the children that work in the sweatshops for pennies because they just want to have the respect of the owners by providing cheap labour

I had the split axle 10 speed 10 ton mastered by the time I was 12

Thats nice and you are lucky you weren't killed

petros
We have kids working in family owned and run sweatshops in Canada?

Mowich

I guess then one can say that about the children that work in the sweatshops for pennies because they just want to have the respect of the owners by providing cheap labour

There is no comparison, none, nada, nil. But hey, don't let that stop you from being obtuse about the truth of kids working on the family farm.

We have kids working in family owned and run sweatshops in Canada?

I give up, petros..........this guy has his own agenda and neither truth nor facts will sway him. I'm outa here.........got work to do.

petros

Why would I get killed? I had real men teach me how to do it safely.

DaSleeper
+1
Part of the problem with the new "gimme" generation is beeing coddled while growing up instead of learning the value of work at home.

Cliffy
+1
I was lucky. I had the best of both worlds. We lived in suburbia and had a farm in the Eastern Townships that we spent weekends and holidays on. I learned to work hard and enjoy what the other half got to have. Working on the farm came in real handy when I moved to the bush.

gerryh

You REALLY don't have a clue, do you. I'll lay odds though that when the corporations take over all the family farms and finally have their monopoly on food production, you'll be one of the first to bitch and complain about the prices at Safeway.

EagleSmack

Yes forced

Is ensuring my kids pick up after themselves, help in the yard, and help out around the house abuse?

karrie
Does the US have 4H?

Some of my most major personal growth during childhood centred around raising cattle and helping out on the farm. Auctions were a treat, and when it was our 4H club's show and auction, it was doubly so.

I can agree to a certain degree about needing to draw a line... I knew too many young men missing fingers, arms, legs, due to farm accidents... but I don't think prohibiting children from learning a business is any kind of answer. Because why single out farms? Why not prevent Tommy from being allowed to work on cars if his dad's a mechanic? Why not disallow Suzie from baking if that's her mom's trade? I see no reason to single out farming while still allowing kids to do shop class or home-ec or trades based schooling like the welding programs or cosmetology programs that run in some high schools.

Tonington
Quote: Originally Posted by The Old MedicView Post

The ratio of children being killed or badly injured while operating farm equipment is so low as to be virtually non-existent.

Really? Children under the age of 16 comprise 20% of all farm fatalities...That's not really so low 'as to be virtually non-existant.'
www.hicahs.colostate.edu/Docu...nonthefarm.pdf (external - login to view)

karrie
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

Really? Children under the age of 16 comprise 20% of all farm fatalities...That's not really so low 'as to be virtually non-existant.'
www.hicahs.colostate.edu/Docu...nonthefarm.pdf (external - login to view)

Screw statistics....one's obviously never lived in a farming community if they haven't seen the evidence of farm injuries.

taxslave

Probably not. Unless there was wood to split or stack. A more likely punishment for not helping with the chores would be a lack of a place at the table come meal time.
I started logging and working in the family sawmill when I was about 10. Thats when I was big enough to control the machines. And no citiot would have been able to keep me away from it. I could run the sawmill when I was 13 as well as fall a tree without getting hurt. My son would load a truck with an excavator when he was 6. Took him long enough for us to have a beer but he got it done.
So what can your average city kid do at 13? play video games and hang out at the mall? Boring.

Locutus
UPDATE: Obama flips on farm chores for children... (external - login to view)

Under pressure from farming advocates in rural communities, and following a report (external - login to view) by The Daily Caller, the Obama administration withdrew a proposed rule Thursday that would have applied child labor laws to family farms.

Critics complained that the regulation would have drastically changed the extent to which children could work on farms owned by family members. The U.S. Department of Labor cited public outcry as the reason for withdrawing the rule.

“The decision to withdraw this rule — including provisions to define the ‘parental exemption’ — was made in response to thousands of comments expressing concerns about the effect of the proposed rules on small family-owned farms,” the Department said in a press release Thursday evening. “To be clear, this regulation will not be pursued for the duration of the Obama administration.”

Read more on the flip floppery: Children | Farm Labor | Regulations | Withdrawal | The Daily Caller (external - login to view)

captain morgan
Liberalman will not be happy with this interesting turn of events

EagleSmack
+1
All right you rug rats.... back to work!

L Gilbert
Nah, let's not make kids do anything. Then they can get that really funny looks on their faces when they leave home and are faced with real work and learn the value of that work. That should be downright hilarious.

You want your kids to be safe doing farmwork? I'd suggest following these guidlelines:

http://www.nagcat.org/nagcat/default.aspx?page=nagcat_guidelines_posters (external - login to view)

We have those posted in our community centers around here. Seems to work well.
Last edited by L Gilbert; Apr 29th, 2012 at 02:03 AM..

Liberalman
The bigger the family, the bigger the farm and kids who live on farms have to pull their own weight by doing chores for room and board and bragging rights cheap labour at it's best.