Harper won't rule out staying in Afghanistan past 2014 .

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Better run that program again.
"When you become an adult you understand that some things you just have to do because you are told."

Totally right, being an adult means you get to say what is going to happen. On the National level the bills would be referendum items, on the minor things the changes could be quite quick, big changes would take awhile, almost like the biggest got put on simmer so there were few regrets and the pitfalls had lots of time for discussion.

Patriot bill = 11 years in discussion, just a suggestion from someone who still waves with all 5 fingers.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Can Capitalism and Democracy even be expected to work side-by-side, if war and conflict is the main industry then you want a system that creates lots of 'opportunity' for a war to take place. If the ones in control were deliberately engineering that very thing when an alternative was much better for the majority of people in the area. I doubt any sane or even insane person is going to vote on war in their area as being the best way to improve the local economy and end up with a higher living standard for the locals.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Any system that seeks to 'organize' society will have its pluses and minuses.That fact applies to all ideologies, political/governmental systems and societal arrangements. There will always be some form of inequality and from that, stress or strife is the potential.

In terms of the suggestion that a society that bases it's primary function (or one of) on engineering wars, well, my personal opinion is that this statement is not accurate. To that point, the only nation/government that I believe that would be applicable to might have been North Korea under their former leader.

With all this said, I fully agree that no sane person would seek to use militaristic ambitions to bolster an economy. However, as it stands, there are many nations that participate in this endeavor in an indirect manner as a means to prop-up industry. The manufacture of arms and equipment is a global industry, but what I have really observed is that it is the nations that do not have the manufacturing capacity are the ones that are consuming the products and waging many of the wars.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
The wars of this century and pretty much all of last century were damn close to being full manufactured. A trend that came from being heavily involved as being the owners of the industries that supply, ..... wait for it, ...... weapons that are only good for war.

That today, wind the cl;ock way, way back to when trade first came about. Some things were nice to find and other things were in the luxury class, bobbles and beads were the trade for very valuable furs just because the one selling the furs saw something that was unique and would look pretty on some costumes used in various ceremonies, basically garbage good in the nation that ended up with the furs. Should they be dealt such a deal as that 100 year war would be fully justified. Spices and such are nice to have and at a 'fair-trade' mode they benefit both buyer and seller and the one transporting the goods only gets cost plus a few % . With crooked transporters you get both buyer and seller being ripped of and the transporter is the only one getting any benefits and that is by their design alone. There is a cure but little incentive to implement the changes, lots of energy for fake changes though. Crooks are as old as time minus 1 generation.

I find it hard too get an accurate picture of the economy over the last 100 years but some changes seem to be warranted if looking at the next 100 years is possible and some things should be carried that far in outlook. Moving all agriculture out of America and moving it to Africa would give them the same raw land that was the growing belt in North America. Rather than kill off the herds box them up and ship them to the deserted farmland of America and tourism would be the industry for the next 100 years as the soil was rebuilt. That would have to be a world effort and two very big wars in one generation shows that bug public work projects are possible. It goes nowhere where a bank authorizing it which is really stupid because having money moving around is how they stay in 'need' when no money is moving they can all be fired as there is no need of them anymore

Last edited: