Gun Control is Completely Useless.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Gun control is not the same as gun prohibition. Do you think the government is trying to take away your car because you need to get a license to drive?

Nice knee jerk reaction though.
Yes I do. 8O $75.00 at a time every 5 years. The cost of D.L.'s and the cost of the Gun registry - cash grabs no matter how you slice it. Useless expenses to everyone but any government.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
A single shot maybe, but that shouldn't make you disrespect the .22. Remember that the Mossad armed their operatives with Barettas in .22LR to dispach certain subjects involved in the Munich massacre, and they were quite effective.

Actually, I believe they were Beretta Minx pistols, in .22 Short !!!!!!!!!!!

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
You obviously just don't get it. People dead on the street are rarely put there by law abiding gun owners, and if they are it is a result of self defense. No, the dead people on the streets are put there by thugs with guns, knives, fists, or whatever weapon happens to be handy. More often they are put there as a result of being denied the means to defend themselves by meddling do-gooders; you cannot legally carry any non lethal thing that can be deemed a weapon without risk of being charged with a criminal offense, this includes a knife, screwdriver, hammer, bear spray, hockey stick, baseball bat, etc., unless you appear to be using for a lawful purpose, (the best potential legal weapon is a large MagLite).

Newsflash, criminals don't care about laws. They are the ones who get away with it. Now tell me, where on earth can anyone get the idea that disarming law abiding citizens will actually make the streets safer?

Jeebuz; Liberaldork keeps trolling and people keep biting. Too funny.

He's probably got a handgun for every day of the week.

:lol:

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Gun registry is a key component to reducing the crime rate and according to the police statistics gun registry has helped significantly.

Only thugs want to get rid of the gun registry and thugs are out there typing up all kinds of misinformation just to get it cancelled and unfortunately the Conservatives swallowed it hook line and sinker.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
First of all, I didn't give up on it, I just stopped belabouring it, it is not erroneous, I owned vehicles, air, and watercraft without them being registered, you just can't do anything with them until they are, they don't throw you in jail because they aren't.

This is where you have it a bit backward, a pistol is designed to get you out of a bad spot, not to get yourself into one. A pistol is designed as a reactive weapon, if you are looking for action, you take some friends, and a tank.

I don't, but a criminal doesn't really care, his main concern is getting what he wants and not getting caught. I don't want to shoot him, but if it is a challenge between me and him, I at least want to level the playing field.

Remember, criminals don't play by the rules, they'll kill you, your children, spouse, or anyone else they want, that's a chance I'm not willing to take. And believe it or not, armed defense is most often met with the assailant fleeing with no shots fired, provided the defender knows how to handle themselves, they also have to be ready to make that deadly decision, been there, done that.

Either the ownership papers were transfered and said transfer was registered, or you owned them illegally. The fact that you may have broken the law and got away with it is in no way proof that the law does not exist. The legislation I posted is quite clear that all motor vehicles must be registered.

End of story. If you want to try to deny the legitimacy of the legislation, feel free. Criminal.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Yes I do. 8O $75.00 at a time every 5 years. The cost of D.L.'s and the cost of the Gun registry - cash grabs no matter how you slice it. Useless expenses to everyone but any government.

Then might I suggest the use of Zyprexa. You are clearly suffering from paranoia.

The registry of vehicle ownership is a useful tool in the fight against organized crime. Namely the car theft industry. The registry of motor vehicles (permits to be on the road) is a useful tool for ensuring (modulo unscrupulous inspectors) that the vehicles on the road are safe and will not often suddenly run over a group of school children crossing the streets because the brakes failed.

Although the government may be sometimes corrupt or institute stupid legislation which is bad and/or costly, thinking that they are trying to disarm you with a long-gun registry puts you into the same boat as people who think Elvis is still alive, people that they have been abducted by aliens, or people who think that a secret organization is in charge of the world.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Then might I suggest the use of Zyprexa. You are clearly suffering from paranoia.

The registry of vehicle ownership is a useful tool in the fight against organized crime. Namely the car theft industry. The registry of motor vehicles (permits to be on the road) is a useful tool for ensuring (modulo unscrupulous inspectors) that the vehicles on the road are safe and will not often suddenly run over a group of school children crossing the streets because the brakes failed.

Although the government may be sometimes corrupt or institute stupid legislation which is bad and/or costly, thinking that they are trying to disarm you with a long-gun registry puts you into the same boat as people who think Elvis is still alive, people that they have been abducted by aliens, or people who think that a secret organization is in charge of the world.
Think I'll just suggest to you that you lighten up and get a little sense of humour.8O

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Gun registry is a key component to reducing the crime rate and according to the police statistics gun registry has helped significantly.

Only thugs want to get rid of the gun registry and thugs are out there typing up all kinds of misinformation just to get it cancelled and unfortunately the Conservatives swallowed it hook line and sinker.
Liberalman - thugs don't care about the gun registry. They don't use it. It isn't stopping them.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
Perfect reason to own a gun.

91-year-old man confronts, holds home intruder at gunpoint in Lake Worth FL

By Michael LaForgia

3:00 PM EDT, September 19, 2009

LAKE WORTH FL

A burglar early this morning clambered over a backyard fence on a quiet block on the city's west side. He picked the wrong house.

He made it maybe a couple of steps before Rettt the dog, a mixture of Rottweiler and Doberman pinscher, charged, tearing the intruder's shirt from his back in a ferocious growling attack.

This gave homeowner Robert E. Thompson, 91, time to jump out of bed, grab his gun, a .38-caliber revolver loaded with hollow-point bullets, and to phone the police.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sfl-home-invasion-091909-story,0,3132206,print.story

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
A single shot maybe, but that shouldn't make you disrespect the .22. Remember that the Mossad armed their operatives with Barettas in .22LR to dispach certain subjects involved in the Munich massacre, and they were quite effective.
Close range, targets aren't moving. I agree. 20 meters away or even 10, moving target .... it's pretty much useless. You'd have to rely on luck because unless you are lucky and hit a vital spot your target will likely scoot or retaliate.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net

Right. And horses sit in hot tubs with a beer in one hoof and a cigar in another hoof. Clown.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Close range, targets aren't moving. I agree. 20 meters away or even 10, moving target .... it's pretty much useless. You'd have to rely on luck because unless you are lucky and hit a vital spot your target will likely scoot or retaliate.

Yeah, and my understanding is they hit the target in a group, at least three who were in touching range, and emptied their guns into the target.......probably several delivered through the soft spot in the back of the skull....

There is, however, the story of the Israeli hit man who almost missed an opportunity at a former Nazi concentration camp commandante in Argentina, I believe......he set up an ambush by himself, only to have the target (unawares) not approach.....so he fired one shot out of his rested .22 pistol and killed the guy.....at 100 yards range.

Short barrels are actually more acurate than long barrels....they are stiffer, less vibration.....the problem with handgun accuracy is the stability of the shooting platform, and the proximity of sights to each other; it is not inherent accuraccy.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Perfect reason to own a gun.

91-year-old man confronts, holds home intruder at gunpoint in Lake Worth FL

By Michael LaForgia

3:00 PM EDT, September 19, 2009

LAKE WORTH FL

A burglar early this morning clambered over a backyard fence on a quiet block on the city's west side. He picked the wrong house.

He made it maybe a couple of steps before Rettt the dog, a mixture of Rottweiler and Doberman pinscher, charged, tearing the intruder's shirt from his back in a ferocious growling attack.

This gave homeowner Robert E. Thompson, 91, time to jump out of bed, grab his gun, a .38-caliber revolver loaded with hollow-point bullets, and to phone the police.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sfl-home-invasion-091909-story,0,3132206,print.story
He phoned the cops with a .38? wow Hand held gadgets these days really are multifunctional, huh?

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Yeah, and my understanding is they hit the target in a group, at least three who were in touching range, and emptied their guns into the target.......probably several delivered through the soft spot in the back of the skull....
Well if you have a 14 shot clip, you can empty the 14 shots about the 5th or 6th rib up, the sound is muffled and you've done pretty much irreparable damage to lungs at the very least. The sidearm can be relatively invisible to bystanders that way. If you raise it up to shoot into a head it becomes visible.

There is, however, the story of the Israeli hit man who almost missed an opportunity at a former Nazi concentration camp commandante in Argentina, I believe......he set up an ambush by himself, only to have the target (unawares) not approach.....so he fired one shot out of his rested .22 pistol and killed the guy.....at 100 yards range.

Short barrels are actually more acurate than long barrels....they are stiffer, less vibration.....the problem with handgun accuracy is the stability of the shooting platform, and the proximity of sights to each other; it is not inherent accuraccy.
Yeah, that's why I can put 10 rounds from our .22 LR target rifle into a 7inch circle at 300 yards, and do the same with my single action revolver (scoped) from 500 yards. :roll: The bull-barrel on my rifle is like rubber it wobbles so much. lmao

Last edited:

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
Even more useless at 10 or 20 yards with moving targets.

If I ever carry a weapon (which is rarely), I found that a Walther P-22 is quite adequate, light, comfortable to carry. It will definatly get someone's attention, but It is pretty much useless beyond 20 yards as you said.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
Actually, I believe they were Beretta Minx pistols, in .22 Short !!!!!!!!!!!

I thought of it later, (I was just on my to bed at the time), but yes, a friend of mine knows intimate details of the mission and they did use .22short. I don't know the model for sure, the agents would just use them and lose them anyway.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County

I'm not saying it would be my weapon of choice, but I still wouldn't want to be on the noisy end of one at 20 yards just the same.