Gun Control is Completely Useless.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
lol Good point.

I think the issue in Canada is more of a disagreement in why the Glibs foisted this registry on us rather than focusing on issues like gang violence and why the occasional shooting spree by some whacked out Canuck in Montreal or some other city.

All things considered, I think city people are more likely to be violent than the rural types.

The first step in reducing gang violence in Canada is to go to the US and say: "Legalize drugs, and stop selling so many firearms." It will never happen.

The first problem is that the US is willing to spend more money than us fighting drug selling organizations. Because of this, it makes sense for many drug organizations to produce in Canada and ship to the US: one can think of this as exportation of crime, from the US to Canada. We cannot possibly spend the same amount of money, even with an equivalent GDP, our population is lower.

Next, the majority of illegal firearms orginate from the US due to our lax border controls. As opposed to tightening the border (I think it is prohibitively tight) we should just convince them to have better gun control. Seriously, a handgun is designed to kill humans, not animals. There should be some more regulations on something like that.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
What no one seems to get is that I can own cars, trucks, airplanes, helicopters, jet fighters, submarines, (though useless unless in water, which we cannot own), I do not need a license for them. They do not need to be registered provided they not leave my property, the only thing I have to be licensed to own and have registered are firearms.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
What no one seems to get is that I can own cars, trucks, airplanes, helicopters, jet fighters, submarines, (though useless unless in water, which we cannot own), I do not need a license for them. They do not need to be registered provided they not leave my property, the only thing I have to be licensed to own and have registered are firearms.

Vehicles always have registered owners. This is even more true with helicopters, airplanes and especially war machines such as fighter jets and submarines.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
the majority of illegal firearms orginate from the US due to our lax border controls. As opposed to tightening the border (I think it is prohibitively tight) we should just convince them to have better gun control. Seriously, a handgun is designed to kill humans, not animals. There should be some more regulations on something like that.

Since you put you locale as Berlin I would assume that you have lax border controls. The vast majority of illegal firearms would then come from Russia. The Kalashnikov is the most prolific of all illicit arms worldwide because so many of them were, and are still made. All firearms were made to kill humans, they were then adapted to kill animals, something which is harder to do. In actual fact, handguns are the least powerful and least effective at doing either.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Since you put you locale as Berlin I would assume that you have lax border controls. The vast majority of illegal firearms would then come from Russia. The Kalashnikov is the most prolific of all illicit arms worldwide because so many of them were, and are still made. All firearms were made to kill humans, they were then adapted to kill animals, something which is harder to do. In actual fact, handguns are the least powerful and least effective at doing either.

Don't be lazy. My nationality is Canadian and this is easily identified by a small Canadian flag at the top of every one of my posts, or by reading my profile.

By design a rifle is built to kill animals and a handgun is built to kill humans, the fact that the very first gun might have been designed to kill a human is irrelevant to either fact. It is far easier to kill a person with a handgun than a rifle, because someone will call the police as you walk down the street with a rifle, but nobody will notice a handgun. Again, the power is irrelevant.

It only matters if you wish to use it or sell it, you aren't liable for time in a federal correctional institution if it isn't registered.

In fact:

Transfer of vehicle

43 (1) The owner of a motor vehicle for which a certificate of registration is required hereunder shall not sell or transfer his interest in or to the vehicle unless he has obtained a certificate of registration thereto nor unless having procured a certificate of registration he in every respect complies with the requirements of this Section and any person who violates this Section shall be guilty of an offence.
(2) Whenever a certificate of registration has been issued in respect of a motor vehicle the owner who sells or transfers his interest in or to the motor vehicle shall execute an assignment of his interest in or to the motor vehicle in the form provided on the reverse side of the certificate of registration for the vehicle and the owner shall deliver the certificate of registration to the purchaser or transferee at the time of delivering the vehicle.
(3) The transferee except as provided in subsection (4) shall thereupon present the certificate endorsed and assigned as aforesaid to the Department and make application for and obtain a new certificate of registration for the vehicle.

Vehicles must always be registered. Always.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
The first step in reducing gang violence in Canada is to go to the US and say: "Legalize drugs, and stop selling so many firearms." It will never happen.

The first problem is that the US is willing to spend more money than us fighting drug selling organizations. Because of this, it makes sense for many drug organizations to produce in Canada and ship to the US: one can think of this as exportation of crime, from the US to Canada. We cannot possibly spend the same amount of money, even with an equivalent GDP, our population is lower.
Yeah, it couldn't possibly be due to the large unpatrolled gaps in the border. lol

Next, the majority of illegal firearms orginate from the US due to our lax border controls. As opposed to tightening the border (I think it is prohibitively tight) we should just convince them to have better gun control. Seriously, a handgun is designed to kill humans, not animals. There should be some more regulations on something like that.
A silhouette gun (among others) is designed for shooting targets. A starter pistol is designed for starting races. A Very pistol is designed for shooting signal flares. Try killing a human with a .22 target pistol.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Yeah, it couldn't possibly be due to the large unpatrolled gaps in the border. lol

A silhouette gun (among others) is designed for shooting targets. A starter pistol is designed for starting races. A Very pistol is designed for shooting signal flares. Try killing a human with a .22 target pistol.

Yes, I agree. Try killing a person with a set of nunchaku; at least you can still own a flare gun in Canada. Not every aspect of weapon control will make sense, as with any given set of legislation. (I assume that these pistols you are talking about are considered "restricted firearms").

There are other similar things which are restricted because of their "dangerous" uses. Many household cleaning products are forbidden in Canada because of the ease with which someone can make a bomb out of them.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Oh right, the border. Well in principle the border is not a problem. There is no "border controls" between Nova Scotia and New Brunswick, for instance, and this doesn't cause any problems. The problem is the differences in laws across borders, not that the borders are controlled incorrectly.

From the way I look at it.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Here's a handgun designed specifically for hunting animals:

No, I would say that is a handgun modified to make accuracy slightly better. For a fixed caliber, a rifle will always have superior accuracy and so anyone who wants the best equipment for the situation will not invest in a short barrelled gun.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
No, I would say that is a handgun modified to make accuracy slightly better. For a fixed caliber, a rifle will always have superior accuracy and so anyone who wants the best equipment for the situation will not invest in a short barrelled gun.
Then no-one would go bow-hunting. It's a challenge. Some hunters simply like challenges. And you are wrong, that handgun is custom built specifically for shooting game. Google Image Result for http://www.hofmeistercustomshop.com/images/custom_singleshot_wscopemnt.jpg

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
Don't be lazy. My nationality is Canadian and this is easily identified by a small Canadian flag at the top of every one of my posts, or by reading my profile.

Well, la tee da, I was going by your locale, my bad :roll:

By design a rifle is built to kill animals and a handgun is built to kill humans,

Boy, are you wrong, by a long shot. Rifles were designed to kill humans at a distance beyond what a bow and arrow would do, pistols were designed for close combat. Look at what the folks were using back in the 1600's, and what they were using them for, you need a couple of history classes.

It is far easier to kill a person with a handgun than a rifle, because someone will call the police as you walk down the street with a rifle, but nobody will notice a handgun. Again, the power is irrelevant.

And you know this as a fact? You have absolutely no experience with firearms, do you? You have no idea of the power a rifle has and the trauma it can deliver. Why then do you think they issue C-7's in .223 to our military rather solely 9mm pistols? My neighbour has been shot 6 times with a 9 mm on two seperate occasions and still made it to his court appearances, (he's been since locked up, again). I can certainly post some autopsy photos showing the difference in trauma caused by rifle and pistol wounds that the mods would edit out.

And just to add salt to the wound, no one called police when Marc Lapine walked into L'ecole Polytechnique with a rifle.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County

top one looks like a Thomson Contender. Nice pistol, very accurate, I shot one in .257 Roberts, kicked like a buck but out shot a 30.30 rifle in accuracy at 100 yards, at least during that particular shoot.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Well, la tee da, I was going by your locale, my bad :roll:

Boy, are you wrong, by a long shot. Rifles were designed to kill humans at a distance beyond what a bow and arrow would do, pistols were designed for close combat. Look at what the folks were using back in the 1600's, and what they were using them for, you need a couple of history classes.

And you know this as a fact? You have absolutely no experience with firearms, do you? You have no idea of the power a rifle has and the trauma it can deliver. Why then do you think they issue C-7's in .223 to our military rather solely 9mm pistols? My neighbour has been shot 6 times with a 9 mm on two seperate occasions and still made it to his court appearances, (he's been since locked up, again). I can certainly post some autopsy photos showing the difference in trauma caused by rifle and pistol wounds that the mods would edit out.

And just to add salt to the wound, no one called police when Marc Lapine walked into L'ecole Polytechnique with a rifle.

You really are getting the point completely backwards. But at least you gave up on your erroneous assumption that you could own a vehicle without registering it. My point is this: the sole design of a hangun is an easily concealable and portable weapon. That is why they are made; a rifle is always more accurate, so why else would you shorten the barrel? The fact that rifles are still superior for accurately killing people at a distance is not the point. The point is that handguns are easily concealable: there design goal is to make it easy to get to close range so that accuracy is not an issue.

This is why their use is restricted.

You aren't listening to me at all, are you? It was exactly my point that rifles are more powerful and also more accurate. As for the salt on the wound, don't make me lecture you in the basics of statistics, Mr. Anecdotal-Evidence.

Seriously. You and I, we cannot have any dialog unless you are willing to think about what I am saying: some weapons are more regulated in Canada simply because of their design. Why would you ever want to be able to walk around with a handgun unless you wanted to shoot a person? If it were for sport, you could leave it at a range.

Simply put, not all weapons are treated equally, and you do not seem to understand why most people think it should be more difficult to acquire a machine gun than to acquire a pellet gun.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
top one looks like a Thomson Contender. Nice pistol, very accurate, I shot one in .257 Roberts, kicked like a buck but out shot a 30.30 rifle in accuracy at 100 yards, at least during that particular shoot.
Yup. That's it alright.
As I mentioned earlier, it'd be ludicrous to try killing a human with a single-shot .22. There are Glocks, Hi-Powers, SIGs, and whatnot around. Or saw off a part of the buttstock and the barrel of a 12 gauge. Or even run over the critter when he crosses a street.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
You really are getting the point completely backwards. But at least you gave up on your erroneous assumption that you could own a vehicle without registering it.

First of all, I didn't give up on it, I just stopped belabouring it, it is not erroneous, I owned vehicles, air, and watercraft without them being registered, you just can't do anything with them until they are, they don't throw you in jail because they aren't.

The point is that handguns are easily concealable: there design goal is to make it easy to get to close range so that accuracy is not an issue.

This is where you have it a bit backward, a pistol is designed to get you out of a bad spot, not to get yourself into one. A pistol is designed as a reactive weapon, if you are looking for action, you take some friends, and a tank.

Seriously. You and I, we cannot have any dialog unless you are willing to think about what I am saying: some weapons are more regulated in Canada simply because of their design. Why would you ever want to be able to walk around with a handgun unless you wanted to shoot a person?

I don't, but a criminal doesn't really care, his main concern is getting what he wants and not getting caught. I don't want to shoot him, but if it is a challenge between me and him, I at least want to level the playing field.

Remember, criminals don't play by the rules, they'll kill you, your children, spouse, or anyone else they want, that's a chance I'm not willing to take. And believe it or not, armed defense is most often met with the assailant fleeing with no shots fired, provided the defender knows how to handle themselves, they also have to be ready to make that deadly decision, been there, done that.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
So. How many commentators in this thread have fired their weapon yet this hunting season?

What did you bag?
I got a couple grouse with the .22. :)We still have moose and elk left over from last year. One of us might bag a deer this year. (That's a matter of a few minutes walk up the hill and waiting till one comes by). Les came close to nailing a skink but the critter scooted before he could grab something to shoot with.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
As I mentioned earlier, it'd be ludicrous to try killing a human with a single-shot .22.

A single shot maybe, but that shouldn't make you disrespect the .22. Remember that the Mossad armed their operatives with Barettas in .22LR to dispach certain subjects involved in the Munich massacre, and they were quite effective.