Pilots did everything right

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I don't know what drill they actually rehearsed, I sometimes think I worked for the only company that actually trained for a landing after a total power loss. It always came as a surprise, you had to identify that it was a multiple flameout, (not an electrical failure) there were memory actions to be completed, and the simulator was programmed so you could not get a relight and had to deadstick to a successful landing on the confines of the pavement you were aiming for, (BTW contrary to popular belief, commercial jetliners do glide quite well).

As for question one/two; a screen would never be strong enough, plus it would be highly conducive to icing, an even worse threat. There could be ways to deflect birds away from the engine, but no one has come up with anything practical yet, so we have to rely on the strength and integrity of titanium blades, these things can take a lot of abuse, but only to a point.

Wondering? Hell, if I had Million $$$ +++ book deals I'd hang up my wings in a New York minute.

No ya wouldn't.... Ya'd be fixin' a turbo to a Norseman frame.... ;-)

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
While what Capt. Sully accomplished was acceptional, and I by no means wish to steal his thunder, we shouldn't forget the crew of Air Canada Flight 143, a B-767which landed in Gimli after fuel exhaustion, and that of Air Transat Flight 236, an A-330 which did likewise in the Azores. I don't think they got book deals, and I can be certain their names are hardly known outside the industry. Maybe because they're Canadian, eh?

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Nope, I'd be fixin' ta jest buys me a regular one, if there's any still left alive fer buyin'. Turbo's is ok, but there's nuthin' like the sound of one of them PW R1340 reciprocatin' round engines.:thumbleft:

Glad to hear it. I'm partial to radials myself....

Ever checked Arizona? I heard about a really nice Beaver rebuilt from there....

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
While what Capt. Sully accomplished was acceptional, and I by no means wish to steal his thunder, we shouldn't forget the crew of Air Canada Flight 143, a B-767which landed in Gimli after fuel exhaustion, and that of Air Transat Flight 236, an A-330 which did likewise in the Azores. I don't think they got book deals, and I can be certain their names are hardly known outside the industry. Maybe because they're Canadian, eh?

Bobnoorduyn

Thanks for your responses and answers - for all our exposure to flight these days we remain ignorant of procedures in place for all kinds of circumstances. I think the publicity given Capt. Sully and his crew was because they landed with no advertised injury (other than horrible flashbacks no doubt) to passengers and it happened in the middle of the New York metropolis where film and news were immediately available for on the scene reportage. The evacuation procedure utilized was text book - as the crew related in one of their post accident interviews by the press the next day or two. Also forgot about icing and screens...thanks!

News and information (or lack of it) in no way demeans all the wonderful landings we never hear of by flight crews all over our world....and for a flying public perhaps it is better that way - we were never meant to be aeronautical animals and if our machine fails, we are at the mercy of fate.

I honestly believe Scully could run that landing through in his sleep ... he appears to be one of those Boy Scout types who remains responsible to his job rather than seeking fame. Look at all the flights he has on his log which we have never heard of....because there were no incidents.

There was one flight attendant (the one at the far rear exit) I am concerned with - I believe she will not fly on duty again and may be suffering with trauma...at least the press have left her alone.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Juan

Thanks for that information on bird strikes... I had no idea of the scope of that problem....

They should be selling bird strike insurance to people...:-(

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
MIRACLE ON THE HUDSON: Survivor still counts his blessings 10 years later
Craig Robertson
Published:
January 10, 2019
Updated:
January 10, 2019 11:37 AM EST
WATCH ABOVE as Sun’s lifestyle editor Rita DeMontis talks to ‘Miracle on the Hudson’ survivor Dave Sanderson who is remembering the heroic achievement by pilot Sully Sullenberger ten years later.
What do YOU think?
Tweet and Facebook us!
And don’t forget to subscribe to our YouTube Channel.
http://torontosun.com/news/world/mi...vor-still-counts-his-blessings-10-years-later