Pilots did everything right

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Juan, to say I was impressed, would be understating what I truly think.

Amazing, simply amazing.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Juan, to say I was impressed, would be understating what I truly think.

Amazing, simply amazing.

I think the pilots knew what they were going to do and ignored suggestions to look for an airport. As it turned out, they had just time enough to do exactly what they did. Bravo.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I think the pilots knew what they were going to do and ignored suggestions to look for an airport. As it turned out, they had just time enough to do exactly what they did. Bravo.
Bravo indeed!

A water landing, from my limited knowledge of flying, is an extremely difficult task to accomplish in a small plane, at best.

To do it in a commercial airliner, lose no one to boot!

Again...simply amazing. Awesome piloting.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007

And one can only imagine what would have happened had they chosen to look for an airport instead. How many lives(in the plane and on the ground) could have been lost?8O

Hazmart

Council Member
Sep 29, 2007
This still amazes me. Absolutely amazing.
lone wolf I was thinking the same, the pilot is so calm on the recording, you would never know anything was wrong. Amazing!

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
This still amazes me. Absolutely amazing.
lone wolf I was thinking the same, the pilot is so calm on the recording, you would never know anything was wrong. Amazing!

That is why I could never be a pilot. The pressure and (potential) pitfalls that they face each and every time they take flight is immense. With a car, you can at least pull off to the side of the road. With a plane...where can you go?

Kudos to the pilots.:cool:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I have some experience in much smaller jets but there is one rule that seems to apply to all. Airspeed, Altitude, and Ideas. You don't want to run out of them at the same time.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Thanks for the video Juan - Capt. Sullenberger (?) had nerves of steel - no matter how many times they rehearsed the drill....

Why can't they come up with some kind of screening for birdstrikes on the turbines?

Would it compromise the engines? There seem to be so many accidents caused by birds....

I wonder if he is back flying yet.

Curio

Last edited:

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
They used to have great protection. Propellers!

Well, kinda partly true, the propellers themselves don't prevent the ingestion of birds, (or other debris, small dogs, cats and such). The design and positioning of the engine inlet on many larger modern turboprops puts it out of the line of fire, so to speak, of incoming beasties. In other words, the intake is not aligned with the actual engine inlet so the inertia of the bird, or whatever, allows it to bypass the engine entirely, and often exiting through a bypass door, (though not in the same healthy condition in which it entered). Even with older or smaller, and other modern large turboprops that don't employ this feature, the engine inlet is a much smaller target than that of a turbojet or turbofan and less likely to eat a large fowl dinner.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
Thanks for the video Juan - Capt. Sullenberger (?) had nerves of steel - no matter how many times they rehearsed the drill....

Why can't they come up with some kind of screening for birdstrikes on the turbines?

Would it compromise the engines? There seem to be so many accidents caused by birds....

I wonder if he is back flying yet.

Curio

I don't know what drill they actually rehearsed, I sometimes think I worked for the only company that actually trained for a landing after a total power loss. It always came as a surprise, you had to identify that it was a multiple flameout, (not an electrical failure) there were memory actions to be completed, and the simulator was programmed so you could not get a relight and had to deadstick to a successful landing on the confines of the pavement you were aiming for, (BTW contrary to popular belief, commercial jetliners do glide quite well).

As for question one/two; a screen would never be strong enough, plus it would be highly conducive to icing, an even worse threat. There could be ways to deflect birds away from the engine, but no one has come up with anything practical yet, so we have to rely on the strength and integrity of titanium blades, these things can take a lot of abuse, but only to a point.

Wondering? Hell, if I had Million $$$ +++ book deals I'd hang up my wings in a New York minute.