Weight Loss.. How easy it can be!

Chiliagon

Prime Minister
May 16, 2010
Spruce Grove, Alberta
hey y'all.

I have been on a diet now (well I'll explain the word diet) for 11 weeks, or 77 days. and I have lost 31.4lbs since.

how?

I changed my eating ways. I decided to only eat certain kinds of foods and make it a habit of only eating so much. Basically I began to count calories.

In order to lose the weight at a respectable amt each week, I cut my calories down to 2100 (roughly, to Start) and presently I have a max daily amt of 1672 a day.

I also exercise on a regular basis, maybe missing 1 day in a week.

I don't drink regular coke or Pepsi, I don't drink energy drinks.

I have Diet Cranberry Juice, water and diet Soda occasionally.

I also have cut out all junk food, candy and unnecessary foods.

I have 1 day a week, which is optional for the day to have some stuff like chips, or alcohol.

I have another 14.8 lbs to go before I have reached my target. Then I need to figure out how to keep and maintain the weight.

So, the reason it's so successful? and how it will continue to work?

I am not considering it as a Diet. It's a change in life, stopping a bad habit or two and gaining some new habits. I now eat properly, maintain exercise.

It's true, "Diets" don't work.. because you go and eat all these special foods, yet when you reach your goal weight, people stop and tend to go back to the way they were and like that, you're back up again.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Your approach is 100% right, I support you all the way, you will win, you will
not gain it all back, and you'll enjoy your new eating style more and more,
and it will your new normal.

Congrats.

Fad diets are set up for failure, but they do make money for people who advertise them.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
You took the words right out of my mouth, Talloola, it's the little things you over the long haul that work. Just cutting back a couple of spoons of sugar a day will result in a couple of pound loss after a year. How hard can that be? If you walk 5 miles a day 6 days a week, you can pretty well eat what you like. I've just learned that sugar raises blood pressure, so I just made one change from drinking pop to drinking pure unsweetened apple juice and more water. Not only will that lower blood pressure but it helps in keeping weight off. I wish the young fellow well.

Last edited:

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
You took the words right out of my mouth, Talloola, it's the little things you over the long haul that work. Just cutting back a couple of spoons of sugar a day will result in a couple of pound loss after a year. How hard can that be? If you walk 5 miles a day 6 days a week, you can pretty well eat what you like. I've just learned that sugar raises blood pressure, so I just made one change from drinking pop to drinking pure unsweetened apple juice and more water. Not only will that lower blood pressure but it helps in keeping weight off. I wish the young fellow well.

Do yourself a favour and check the sugar content of that apple juice.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
hey y'all.

I have been on a diet now (well I'll explain the word diet) for 11 weeks, or 77 days. and I have lost 31.4lbs since.

how?

I changed my eating ways. I decided to only eat certain kinds of foods and make it a habit of only eating so much. Basically I began to count calories.

In order to lose the weight at a respectable amt each week, I cut my calories down to 2100 (roughly, to Start) and presently I have a max daily amt of 1672 a day.

I also exercise on a regular basis, maybe missing 1 day in a week.

I don't drink regular coke or Pepsi, I don't drink energy drinks.

I have Diet Cranberry Juice, water and diet Soda occasionally.

I also have cut out all junk food, candy and unnecessary foods.

I have 1 day a week, which is optional for the day to have some stuff like chips, or alcohol.

I have another 14.8 lbs to go before I have reached my target. Then I need to figure out how to keep and maintain the weight.

So, the reason it's so successful? and how it will continue to work?

I am not considering it as a Diet. It's a change in life, stopping a bad habit or two and gaining some new habits. I now eat properly, maintain exercise.

It's true, "Diets" don't work.. because you go and eat all these special foods, yet when you reach your goal weight, people stop and tend to go back to the way they were and like that, you're back up again.
I am cutting back on my food intake. I'm also watching sugar intake - a lot. I don't eat dessert anymore. I avoid things like french fries. I've only eaten them once in the past couple of months. I eat fruit if I am hungry or a few almonds. I don't eat white bread other than with a burger and my burger is a turkey burger from Costco. Very low in fat and calories. Sometimes I have it without the bun. Maybe I should say sometimes I have it with the bun. I eat salad everyday for lunch with cottage cheese (1%) because I don't like dry curd. I have one piece of dry brown bread with it. I usually have an orange or a banana with it now. If I have a yellow or orange pepper I eat half of it with the salad. Basically I've cut out sweets, cut portion size and I eat only a half cup of cereal in the morning with no fat Soy milk. Now I've eaten salad for lunch for years with cottage cheese. Something that people with high BP have to watch because it has a high sodium count. I used to snack on a bowl of cereal quite often before bed. I never do that now. When I'm an hour or so away from a meal or sometimes just a few min. and I feel really hungry I get a few almonds to eat. Depends on the length of time til' the next meal. If I've got an hour I may eat 6 - 7 of them. If I'm pretty much down to a few min. away then I have a couple of almonds. My son joined the local Biggest Losers program and he works out hard 6 days a week and he follows what they say he can eat. He has been on the program for almost 3 months now and he has lost 40 pounds. His BMI has changed dramatically. He will finish what he paid for in another 2 or 3 weeks. It was 3 months I believe. He's done so well that his wife is really pushing him to take at least the next course. I think it's the same thing over. She feels (and I agree) that 3 months is not long enough to keep you on a new path of eating. He is not allowed to have any alcohol either and he's not really happy about that. Summer is here and he likes to have a beer. We suggested to him that he could still take the program and if he feels like he wants a beer - just have one. He knows that once this is over he's going to have a beer now and then so one might as well be part of his diet.
I've lost weight. Not as much as I would like because I really don't exercise with it. I believe that if I was exercising as well, the weight would come off faster and in the right places. At my current weight, people always said I didn't need to lose weight even though I knew I really did need to lose. Right now I've lost between 20 -21 pounds and other than my face, no one seems to notice. I notice that my clothes are getting to be very loose.
It's good that you see it as a lifestyle change. I have a sister 11 yrs. older than me who has put on weight and because of it, her back is so sore she hardly moves. Now her heart is bad. I am trying not to be "her". She has always been my role model in the sense that I try hard not to do the things she does.

I was thinking the same thing so I looked it up. It actually states that apple juice helps lower high cholesterol. JLM walks daily so the sugar content probably won't hurt too much but - that said, I know that the biggest problem with children's teeth is apple juice. Waaay too much sugar. I don't like juice.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

30 g. naturally occurring fruit sugar/ 250 ml. There is no added sugar.

I am cutting back on my food intake. I'm also watching sugar intake - a lot. I don't eat dessert anymore. I avoid things like french fries.I've lost weight. Not as much as I would like because I really don't exercise with it. I believe that if I was exercising as well, the weight would come off faster and in the right places. JLM walks daily so the sugar content probably won't hurt too much but - that said, I know that the biggest problem with children's teeth is apple juice. Waaay too much sugar. I don't like juice.

Good for you VanIsle, you'll feel so much better. Just one question- why avoid exercise? Actually exercise is a more important part of weight control than diet, diet only reduces weight and girth, does nothing to tone muscles or increase strength. You can start off easy with exercise like just do one mile in 20 minutes or so for the first week and then you can add 1/4 mile every week or so, until you reach 5 or 6 miles a day. I find a mile on flat ground in about 17 minutes is a good pace (for an old codger) If you can find some steep ground to walk on so much the better. Exercising gets to be a little addictive after awhile. Also with exercise you won't have to worry about counting minutes till supper and almonds. :smile:

There are only two kinds of apple juice that I buy- Sunripe pure apple juice (not from concentrate) and President's choice natural unfiltered apple juice. Kids don't need to be drinking apple juice, they can be drinking milk and water. If you allow the kid a pop on special occasions like Xmas and his birthday, then you could substitute apple juice for the special occasions. Kids eat/drink far too much crap these days. No wonder they can't concentrate in school. :lol::lol:

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
What a novel concept: in order to lose weight, you eat less, and exercise more.

That's so radical, I wonder how we can make money from it?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
What a novel concept: in order to lose weight, you eat less, and exercise more.

That's so radical, I wonder how we can make money from it?

Lots do and lots are stupid enough to fall for it. How many treadmills are sold? Right outside your back door are all kinds of inclined planes that can be used for free. How much fancy sportswear is sold when all you need is a good pair of boots? If you live in the city, how many public buildings are they with stairs to climb?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Lots do and lots are stupid enough to fall for it. How many treadmills are sold? Right outside your back door are all kinds of inclined planes that can be used for free. How much fancy sportswear is sold when all you need is a good pair of boots? If you live in the city, how many public buildings are they with stairs to climb?

Yeah, but people are made to feel that they shouldn't be out in public if they're overweight, let alone out exercising in it for everyone to mock them. If anyone had any idea how hard it is to subject yourself to that kind of attitude.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Yeah, but people are made to feel that they shouldn't be out in public if they're overweight, let alone out exercising in it for everyone to mock them. If anyone had any idea how hard it is to subject yourself to that kind of attitude.

Every time I go down town I see dozens of them walking around. :smile:

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Fat people end up in the box before skinny people.

If fat people eat less and walk more then they would end up as skinny people.

The problem with diets is eventually one goes back to the old foods so in order to lose weight eat less of the old foods and eat more of the empty foods and become more active.

Make a fist and that should be the volume you eat three times a day anything more will produce a weight gain.

Last edited:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The problem with diets is eventually one goes back to the old foods so in order to lose weight eat less of the old foods and eat more of the empty foods and become more active.

Make a fist and that should be the volume you eat three times a day anything more will produce a weight gain.

You have the right idea- Exercise is really the key, ideally you should try to get enough, so that what you eat isn't really much of an issue.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
3 fist sized meals a day? roflmao So it makes no difference whether these meals are made of pure lard or spinach? That's freakin hilarious.
cfl is on the right track, although a bit extreme, IMO. I see nothing wrong with having the odd burger, chunk of pie, or bag of cheesies as long as you keep track of your caloric intake. Eat a big fat steak with a stack of spuds and cauliflower or something if you like or even a salami sausage. Once in a while it doesn't hurt. But count the calories and increase the exercise to compensate for the extra ones. And try not to have too many occasional bites of processed foods. :D
It's not brain surgery. There's no mystical secret.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
3 fist sized meals a day? roflmao So it makes no difference whether these meals are made of pure lard or spinach? That's freakin hilarious.

Don't laugh- he's got the right idea- of course he'd be talking normal meals with a little bit of lard, a little bit of spinach and a little bit of other things in between- it's not rocket science. Just move the gams and you don't have to worry about any of that sh*t..............:lol::lol::lol:

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
follow the Canada food guide, as easy as that. 3 meals with 3 snacks per day. That means you eat 6 times per day. This is to keep your metabolism running at full bore so that your body doesn't think your starving and start storing fat.

As for fruit juices, they all pretty much have too much sugar. It is recommended that you get your fruit intake from whole fruit and your liquid intake from water.

Chiliagon

Prime Minister
May 16, 2010
Spruce Grove, Alberta
ya my sugar intake is way down. I'm also trying to eat more fruits and less fattening foods.

It's hard to eat something that has a lot of calories because it doesn't leave much room for other stuff.