Hawking backs possibility for humans to travel millions of years into the future

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
After saying last week that intelligent extraterrestrials almost certainly exist and Earthlings should avoid making contact with them, Cambridge University astrobiologist Stephen Hawking now says that it is possibly for humans to travel millions of years into the future - but not into the past.

Hawking, famous for his book A Brief History of Time, theorises that spaceships could, at some point in the future, travel at such huge speeds that time slowed down for those on board but not, say, for people back on Earth (although it could take as long as six years to reach 98% of the speed of light).

However, Professor Brian Cox, former keyboard player of pop band D:Ream and now a Manchester University physicist who recently hosted the popular BBC documentary Wonders of the Solar System, admitted there were significant impediments to realising Hawking's theories, although he backed the Cambridge scientist.

Hawking backs possibility for humans to travel millions of years into the future

By Scott Warren
2nd May 2010
Daily Mail

Stephen Hawking has claimed that humans might one day be able to use time travel to skip generations into the future.

The famous astrophysicist, speaking in a new documentary, said spaceships could one day be capable of such high speeds that time slowed down for those on board.

He admitted he had avoided talking about time travel previously ' for fear of being labelled a crank', saying the subject had once been 'scientific heresy'. 'These days I'm not so cautious,' he said.

Big ideas: Stephen Hawking believes humans are capable of time travel

Theoretically, such a space ship would allow the crew to repopulate the earth if they found our species had become extinct during their flight.

Stephen Hawking's Universe, in which he makes the comments, will be screened on Discovery next Sunday. In another part of the series he says alien life is likely to exist but that humans should avoid making contact.

Hawking said a spaceship capable of travelling through time - but only forwards - would breach Albert Einstein's theories of relativity.

Having taken six years to reach its full speed of 98 per cent of the speed of light (650million miles per hour), a day on board the ship would be equivalent to a year on Earth, he said, allowing those on board to reach the edge of the galaxy in just 80 years.

But the ship required for the journey would have to be massive to allow for the required fuel.

He dismissed the idea of travelling backwards through time, saying doing so would violate a fundamental rule that cause comes before effect and that such an act could allow people to make themselves impossible, such as if a person travelled back in time and shot their former self.

While backing Hawking's theories, Brian Cox, a Manchester University professor and the presenter of BBC's Wonders of the Solar System, admitted there were significant impediments to realising them.

'We can already see how time slows down for objects travelling at high speed by looking at what happens in paricle accelerators,' he told The Times.

Professor Brian Cox

'When we accelerate tiny particles to 99.99 per cent of the speed of light in the Large Hadron Collider at Cern in Geneva, the time they experience passes at one-seventhousandth of the rate it does for us.

'If we could build a spaceship that was fast enough, then it could reach other stars in the lifetime of the crew, but maybe 2.5million years would have passed by on earth.'

dailymail.co.uk

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
What Hawking is saying is nothing new, it has been known for decades, since Einstein’s theory of relativity.

I remember reading it in sci fi stories more than 30 years ago, the effect is well known. But I agree with Prof. Cox. While theoretically possible, practically it may be impossible to achieve.

Besides, we won’t know if we achieved it anyway. We can only send somebody into the future, he cannot return to the past to tell us if we succeeded, or if he died during the journey.

Incidentally, according to some versions of the String Theory, it is possible to travel back into time.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I think these guys drink too much koolaid. Somebody buy Stephen a Bulova.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
I think these guys drink too much koolaid. Somebody buy Stephen a Bulova.

What Hawking is saying makes perfectly good sense, Kreskin. When he was talking about intelligent life, he was talking away from his field, and therefore did not have the authoritative weight behind it.

But now he is talking of Physics, and what he says is very true. It is just that the effect has been known since the theory of relativity, it is nothing new. But Hawking is by no means wrong, he is right.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
A lot of things could happen. I could dump Les and marry George Clooney and Kate Beckinsale, too. :roll:
Merlin could be reincarnated and come back to show us the cheap method with which we could turn lead into gold.

I think wormholes would be more fun.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I think a few people have traveled millions of years into the future and arrived at our time.Some people call them knuckle-draggers.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
I think a few people have traveled millions of years into the future and arrived at our time.Some people call them knuckle-draggers.
Urban Dictionary: knuckledragger
A malicious term used to describe a person of African American descent. The term is used to compare African-Americans to apes, since apes are known to walk using their knuckles.
All them knuckledraggers are the same, stupid as **** and using foodstamps.

A really dumb redneck, country bumpkin
Larry The Cable Guy ain't nothin' but a knuckledragger

Republican, member of the GOP.
Do you believe the KNUCKLEDRAGGER we have in the Whitehouse??? Who voted for this IDIOT anyway.....

which do you mean?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
There's another meaning not included there: cavemen, implying uncivilized savages, which could include bigots of all stripes such as neo-Nazis, etc.