With new CANDU developments should we sell?

sputnik

Dec 8, 2009
Canada
"Earlier this week Atomic Energy of Canada Ltd. (AECL) announced that it had successfully burned a fuel bundle that uses Natural Uranium Equivalent (NUE). NUE is fuel is made by mixing recovered uranium from spent fuel of light water reactors with depleted uranium from enrichment plant tails. According to AECL President and Chief Executive Officer, Hugh MacDiarmid “This commercial demonstration of NUE fuel is a first-of-a-kind advanced fuel collaborative effort for the parties and highlights the beginning of the engineering application of CANDU advanced fuel cycles, It establishes CANDU’s ability to utilize alternative fuel cycles and demonstrates the strong synergy between CANDU technology and light water reactor technology.”

Why are we selling this off? E N V I R O G Y

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
It may have something to do with the fact that few nuclear projects in Canada have ever come in on budget and any future project will almost certainly require large government subsidies. Not only that, but many reactors have had to shut down much earlier than originally forecast, greatly adding to their expense. It may just be time for the Canadian taxpayer to get out of this mess and let the private sector lose money on its own.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
It may have something to do with the fact that few nuclear projects in Canada have ever come in on budget and any future project will almost certainly require large government subsidies. Not only that, but many reactors have had to shut down much earlier than originally forecast, greatly adding to their expense. It may just be time for the Canadian taxpayer to get out of this mess and let the private sector lose money on its own.

Name me one government project that has come in on budget - and been in line with current or near future needs when completed.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Name me one government project that has come in on budget - and been in line with current or near future needs when completed.

Come on. That would be too easy. Thousands of government funded projects come in on budget every year, especially in the areas of local infrastructure. But just to make you happy here is one. TASK Construction Management comes in under budget at Oliver Woods Community Centre – Journal of Commerce

I am sure that you understand that the private sector also experiences numerous cost overruns.

In any case, attempting to justify further budget overruns in the case of nuclear energy is a non-sequitur. Justifying a wrong by pointing out another is not logical.