Spanish Region to Ban Bullfighting?

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
The Spanish region of Catalonia is considering a bill to ban bull fighting. The bill cleared the first hurdle (first of many) when the lawmakers voted by 67 to 59 votes to elevate the bill for debate.

Of course, the ban on bull fighting is still a long way off. But if they succeed, Catalonia will become only the second region in Spain to ban bull fighting, after Canary Islands did so in 1991.

I wish them every success. Bull fighting is a national shame of Spain, The Spanish can do better than keep this barbaric tradition around. My hope is that eventually, region by region, all of Spain will ban bull fighting.

Anyway, I wish them good luck in their efforts to try to ban bull fighting.

The Associated Press: Spain's Catalans mull bill to ban bullfighting

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
The Spanish region of Catalonia is considering a bill to ban bull fighting. The bill cleared the first hurdle (first of many) when the lawmakers voted by 67 to 59 votes to elevate the bill for debate.

Of course, the ban on bull fighting is still a long way off. But if they succeed, Catalonia will become only the second region in Spain to ban bull fighting, after Canary Islands did so in 1991.

I wish them every success. Bull fighting is a national shame of Spain, The Spanish can do better than keep this barbaric tradition around. My hope is that eventually, region by region, all of Spain will ban bull fighting.

Anyway, I wish them good luck in their efforts to try to ban bull fighting.

The Associated Press: Spain's Catalans mull bill to ban bullfighting

Ernest must be rolling in his grave.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
For those who haven't seen a bullfight here is a rough description of what happens:

The first thing the bull sees is men on well padded horses with lances who stab the bull in the neck and shoulders to prepare the bull so the matador will have an easier time because the bull won't be able to move his head and horns as fast. If the matador doesn't like the bull he can call the guys out to stab the bull some more. Sometimes the bull doesn't survive this "preparation" and they have to get another bull. Finally they have other guys out to stick little spears in the bull probably to piss the bull off a bit more. Eventually the matador comes out and makes a few showy passes with the cape and ultimately dispatches the bull with the sword. All in all, a cruel, bloody, blood sport, where every effort is made to give the matador the advantage. We watched five bullfights and cheered for the bull in every fight. In the final fight of the day the matador was gored....I don't know if he survived or not.

Hemmingway eventually blew his brains out. I've never known exactly why....Too much Oozo????

Last edited:

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Juan, the matador is at very little risk during the fight itself. He waves the red rag at the bull. Bull is a short sighted animal, he doesn’t really see the matador (he may see him as a blur), he only sees the red rag. The bull charges towards the red rag. When matador has done this often enough, the bull gets tired and the matador moves in for a quick, easy kill.

It is only the really stupid, really imbecilic matador, who would get injured by the bull. If matador fought the bull fair and square (with bare hands, nothing more), with equal chances to both, it would be one thing, it would at least be a fair fight. But what happens during the bull fights is a ritualistic, systematic slaughter of the bull.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Juan, the matador is at very little risk during the fight itself. He waves the red rag at the bull. Bull is a short sighted animal, he doesn’t really see the matador (he may see him as a blur), he only sees the red rag. The bull charges towards the red rag. When matador has done this often enough, the bull gets tired and the matador moves in for a quick, easy kill.

Gosh Joseph......Isn't that what I just said?

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario

Gosh Joseph......Isn't that what I just said?

Quite so, I was simply agreeing with you (and I added more information to the mix).

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
For those who haven't seen a bullfight here is a rough description of what happens:

The first thing the bull sees is men on well padded horses with lances who stab the bull in the neck and shoulders to prepare the bull so the matador will have an easier time because the bull won't be able to move his head and horns as fast. If the matador doesn't like the bull he can call the guys out to stab the bull some more. Sometimes the bull doesn't survive this "preparation" and they have to get another bull. Finally they have other guys out to stick little spears in the bull probably to piss the bull off a bit more. Eventually the matador comes out and makes a few showy passes with the cape and ultimately dispatches the bull with the sword. All in all, a cruel, bloody, blood sport, where every effort is made to give the matador the advantage. We watched five bullfights and cheered for the bull in every fight. In the final fight of the day the matador was gored....I don't know if he survived or not.

Hemmingway eventually blew his brains out. I've never known exactly why....Too much Oozo????

Hemmingway became increasingly depressed at the passing of his massive strength with age, and with the rapid degradation of his equally impressive intellect.......so much so that his actions became increasingly irratic, until he was placed under the care of a psychiatrist in hospital....

Now, in my opinion you might as well consult a dude with a bone through his nose that seeks diagnosis in the entrails of recently slaughtered chickens as consult a psychiatrist today....much more so 50 years ago........

Anyway, the good Doctor released Ernest over the pleas of wife and friends....and he proceeded home and shot himself forthwith.

A great, great man. Also a man who had faced the bulls. A good friend of the greatest Matador in all of Spain, and a rabid fan of the bull ring.

Exactly.......despite the attempt to weight the match in favour of the man, he is outweighed and outclassed in ferocity.....and all Matadors worth the name are, at one time or another, seriously injured in the ring.

I am VERY divided over this issue.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

It is only the really stupid, really imbecilic matador, who would get injured by the bull. If matador fought the bull fair and square (with bare hands, nothing more), with equal chances to both, it would be one thing, it would at least be a fair fight. But what happens during the bull fights is a ritualistic, systematic slaughter of the bull.

As usual, stunningly incorrect.

Juan, even in your desciption, you noted that the Matador was gored, hardly a rare occurance.

A interesting piece from 60 Minutes: Bullfighting's Blood Brothers - 60 Minutes - CBS News

The boys grandfather was the friend of Ernest Hemmingway, was the greatest Matador of his time, and was repeatedly gored.

the boys father died in the ring.

The grandsons....well read it, and watch the film, especially at the end......

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
As usual, stunningly incorrect.

Juan, even in your desciption, you noted that the Matador was gored, hardly a rare occurance.

A interesting piece from 60 Minutes: Bullfighting's Blood Brothers - 60 Minutes - CBS News

The boys grandfather was the friend of Ernest Hemmingway, was the greatest Matador of his time, and was repeatedly gored.

the boys father died in the ring.

The grandsons....well read it, and watch the film, especially at the end......

It was a different time Colpy. I was in Pamplona in 1960. This is where they have the running of the bulls. The crazy people run through the streets to the stadium with the bulls running after them. I watched it all from a second floor balcony. Bullfighting involves a lot of bravado and bullshi t. Later at the bullfights the matador whom we saw gored had turned his back on the bull in a gesture of defiance to the Gods or whatever. The bull took two strides and hooked him into the air like a beanbag and got him again a few times when he came down. There is danger in bullfighting but it is a stupid, senseless danger and the bull always dies. I wouldn't go to a bullfight again.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
It was a different time Colpy. I was in Pamplona in 1960. This is where they have the running of the bulls. The crazy people run through the streets to the stadium with the bulls running after them. I watched it all from a second floor balcony. Bullfighting involves a lot of bravado and bullshi t. Later at the bullfights the matador whom we saw gored had turned his back on the bull in a gesture of defiance to the Gods or whatever. The bull took two strides and hooked him into the air like a beanbag and got him again a few times when he came down. There is danger in bullfighting but it is a stupid, senseless danger and the bull always dies. I wouldn't go to a bullfight again.

Bull fighting reminds me of the brave, fearless, great white hunters of the yesteryear, who would go tiger or lion hunting in Asia or in Africa.

They would have the whole paraphernalia, a big staff of servants with them. They would tie up a cow or a sheep some place in the jungle and wait for the tiger or the lion to come to it. As soon as it did, the mighty hunter would shoot him dead; he has made his kill, his hunt,

There was absolutely no danger to the hunter; it probably was as easy as shooting clay pigeons. But the mighty hunter feels good about himself, he feels he has committed a great act of bravery and everybody applauds him as a brave, fearless warrior. In the process, of course he has killed a fine, magnificent specimen of tiger or lion (and in the case of lion, he probably has also killed the cubs of the pride, which would inevitably happen when another male took over the pride). With one shot, he has killed one male and probably five or six lion cubs.

The whole thing was sick, perverted, same as bull fighting.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Most animal rights activists support abortions

Bull fighting is a graceful sport and can be changed into a safe sport.

Dehorn the bull and use the spears with a sticky substance so the spear stays on when it’s thrown.

If everything goes well the Calgary Stampede will have a bull fighting event in 2010.

As for the animal rights people they are against dog shows where the people have to work harder to make the dogs look good.

Last edited:

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Bull fighting reminds me of the brave, fearless, great white hunters of the yesteryear, who would go tiger or lion hunting in Asia or in Africa.

They would have the whole paraphernalia, a big staff of servants with them. They would tie up a cow or a sheep some place in the jungle and wait for the tiger or the lion to come to it. As soon as it did, the mighty hunter would shoot him dead; he has made his kill, his hunt,

There was absolutely no danger to the hunter; it probably was as easy as shooting clay pigeons. But the mighty hunter feels good about himself, he feels he has committed a great act of bravery and everybody applauds him as a brave, fearless warrior. In the process, of course he has killed a fine, magnificent specimen of tiger or lion (and in the case of lion, he probably has also killed the cubs of the pride, which would inevitably happen when another male took over the pride). With one shot, he has killed one male and probably five or six lion cubs.

The whole thing was sick, perverted, same as bull fighting.

Uh-huh.

Once again, you are absolutely without the slightest knowledge of the subject.

YouTube - Tiger attacks guy on elephant full video
Yeah, if you think playing paddy-cake with a 400 lb tiger in a houdah is "no risk"....well, think again. And yes, this happen often in the old days of hunting....in fact there were houdah pistols (single shot, rifle caliber) made just for close quarters encounters on the backs of elephants.....

YouTube - Lion attack hunting safari Africa
No risk lion hunting either......

YouTube - Lion Attacks Safari Hunter
In case you think that was a one-off.

Could someone SJP actually sees pass this on?????

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

oh and BTW, while you're being wrong on everything else.....bulls are colour blind.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
They are not, as you indicated with parenthesis, "hunts", and they have nothing to do with the subject at hand.....and I don't really have a problem with some of them....and I do have a problem with some.....

Their relationship with the subject at hand is in the theater atmosphere where all advantage is weighted in human favour ... and called "sport"

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Their relationship with the subject at hand is in the theater atmosphere where all advantage is weighted in human favour ... and called "sport"

Fair enough.

I have absolutely no problem with say....stocked pheasants or quail for example, although the sport involved in their harvest would more properly be called "shooting" (like the Brits) rather than hunting.

Actually, I have no problem with the slaughter of any animal on a game farm.......I mean, talk about "free range"....it just isn't hunting, and I would not participate in taking big game on a ranch......

Unless, like some ranches in Texas, the area is HUGE............

As well, some species are actually guaranteed future existence on game farms.....

So I guess I don't really have a problem.....

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

My knowledge of bullfighting stems mainly from Hemmingway, I am hardly an expert......so I clarified a couple of things:

First, the Matador is expected to turn his back on the bull. Initially, the matador comes out just with the cape and some long knifes with streamers on the end. And everytime one knife sticks in the bull, the crowd jumps to their feet and cheers on the matador, who takes a bow and turns his back to the bull,. Then after planting about 6 of these knifes in the bull, the matador goes to the side of the ring to get his sword. Not risky?? hmmmmm.

Secondly, the bull, if extremely aggressive, can be spared on the appeal of the crown to the ring "President". The bull is then put out to stud. They don't always die.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
My knowledge of bullfighting stems mainly from Hemmingway, I am hardly an expert......so I clarified a couple of things:

First, the Matador is expected to turn his back on the bull. Initially, the matador comes out just with the cape and some long knifes with streamers on the end. And everytime one knife sticks in the bull, the crowd jumps to their feet and cheers on the matador, who takes a bow and turns his back to the bull,. Then after planting about 6 of these knifes in the bull, the matador goes to the side of the ring to get his sword. Not risky?? hmmmmm.

Secondly, the bull, if extremely aggressive, can be spared on the appeal of the crown to the ring "President". The bull is then put out to stud. They don't always die.

We saw bullfights in Madrid and later we went to Pamplona to see the running of the bulls. What really turned me off was when a bull didn't survive the Picadors who lance the bull to make it "easier" to fight for the matador.

I read Hemmingway's "The Sun Also Rises" and I can appreciate how a young person might be attracted to the "Sport", and the hero worship that young person might feel for the greatest Matadors but I would hope this so-called "sport" will die out in the next five or ten years.