The meaning and scope of science

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Just wondering what is the full impact of science on our lives. Is science the most important aspect? Does it trump other aspects such as logic or human tendencies?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
S.J. something of interest re your definition of scientific theories........................Theories may be good, bad, or indifferent. They may be well established by the factual evidence, or they may lack credibility....................an excerp from Definition of Scientific Theory

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC
Just wondering what is the full impact of science on our lives. Is science the most important aspect? Does it trump other aspects such as logic or human tendencies?

Well, I just hated to see this one sitting here vacant. How about this?...

The application of science to the food industry has resulted in a deep, broad perversion of our food (I'm talking Canada and the U.S.) into things that are no longer as good for us as they once were. This application of science has found its way into many processed foods, animals, fruits & vegetables, and grains. We're looking at everything from very questionable genetically-modified plants all the way to over a hundred food additives derived from corn and found in many processed foods, to GMO corn itself, fed to cattle that shouldn't be eating it. Even that pretty jug of orange juice is a long way from orange juice, no matter how many nice words they put on the container. It's a looooong list of "food atrocities."

Why was it done? Bottom line results, of course.

What are the after effects? They're still piling up, but we might like to take a look at certain available stats and wonder why diabetes is on the rampage, as one clue.

I think it's a net negative impact on society when we talk about food and science in the same breath.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Well, I just hated to see this one sitting here vacant. How about this?...

The application of science to the food industry has resulted in a deep, broad perversion of our food (I'm talking Canada and the U.S.) into things that are no longer as good for us as they once were. This application of science has found its way into many processed foods, animals, fruits & vegetables, and grains. We're looking at everything from very questionable genetically-modified plants all the way to over a hundred food additives derived from corn and found in many processed foods, to GMO corn itself, fed to cattle that shouldn't be eating it. Even that pretty jug of orange juice is a long way from orange juice, no matter how many nice words they put on the container. It's a looooong list of "food atrocities."

Why was it done? Bottom line results, of course.

What are the after effects? They're still piling up, but we might like to take a look at certain available stats and wonder why diabetes is on the rampage, as one clue.

I think it's a net negative impact on society when we talk about food and science in the same breath.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: I have no argument with that. It comes under the heading of "simple things being screwed up by people (who think they know more) complicating things"

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: I have no argument with that. It comes under the heading of "simple things being screwed up by people (who think they know more) complicating things"

I don't like what's happened with the food, but perhaps I would feel better about it if I could hear a qualified opinion from someone who is more educated and knowledgeable than me on the subject of science. You wouldn't happen to know anyone like that, would you?

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
From what I have observed, diabetes is thriving and growing becausepeople eat too much, and in middle age become too fat.Most diabetes sufferers seem to be able to shake it if they lose weight,with exception of the younger folk who get it, of course, but evensome of them are too heavy, too out of shape, and eat all of thewrong foods. People have to be responsible for their own health, andnot blame everything on what is being done to the food we eat.I make it a bit of a habit, when waiting at grocery check out to havea look in some grocery carts and analyze what is in them, such awaste of money, and so many articles that are 'empty' foods, give yourheads a shake folks, eat real food that doesn't come prepared andhave a list of ingredients a mile long, you'll be much better off.And, get some excercise.Van Isle, you must be an expert at these observations.

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
From what I have observed, diabetes is thriving and growing becausepeople eat too much, and in middle age become too fat.Most diabetes sufferers seem to be able to shake it if they lose weight,with exception of the younger folk who get it, of course, but evensome of them are too heavy, too out of shape, and eat all of thewrong foods. People have to be responsible for their own health, andnot blame everything on what is being done to the food we eat.I make it a bit of a habit, when waiting at grocery check out to havea look in some grocery carts and analyze what is in them, such awaste of money, and so many articles that are 'empty' foods, give yourheads a shake folks, eat real food that doesn't come prepared andhave a list of ingredients a mile long, you'll be much better off.And, get some excercise.Van Isle, you must be an expert at these observations.

I think you hit the nail on the head with "real food."

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I don't like what's happened with the food, but perhaps I would feel better about it if I could hear a qualified opinion from someone who is more educated and knowledgeable than me on the subject of science. You wouldn't happen to know anyone like that, would you?

Apart from S.J. nobody really............:lol::lol:

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
As long as humans have curiosity about what things are, why they are the way they are, what makes them work, etc. there will be science. It is as much a part of life as hunting, gathering, and cooking food. I don't think it trumps much of anything except religion as a tool to describe life and what life deals with. We need logic to use science and science can describe "human tendencies" (behavior) but comparing science with logic or behavior is like comparing an ash tree with an aardvark.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I can't help wondering if there is a connection between cancers and all the chemistry doctors prescribe. Is cancer so common in places where they take a more natural approach to healing?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

You shouldn't really get me started on this Talloola, as I do most of the grocery shopping in this house I see a lot and then I come home and turn on the local T.V. channel, and hear the requests for food hampers for the needy (which I've been known to contribute to) I know it's a delicate subject (and I know there are a lot of legitimate people and kids out there suffering. The amount of money being taken in daily by these grocery stores for absolute garbage, boggles my mind and I suspect a lot of it from those who can least afford it. I bet a ton of salt goes through the till daily in potato chip bags at $3 or $4 a shot. Your comments (and Art Hister's this morning on Global news) tie in with the tons of sugar going through the till each day. Education is needed far worse than food hampers.

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
I can't help wondering if there is a connection between cancers and all the chemistry doctors prescribe. Is cancer so common in places where they take a more natural approach to healing?

It's a good question. I've heard so-called anecdotal evidence regarding these things but it's hard to get a grip on the facts. One of the things I have heard is that cancer is virtually unknown in some "primitive societies" but once again, which ones?

Speaking of cancer, I'm wondering how many dollars have been spent on cancer research over say, the last 40 or 50 years? Does anyone know?

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
Concerning food, science has been used to get rid of pests that like the same food as we do (I sprinkle lime in the holes when I plant my potatoes, for instance), we use it to get rid of plant diseases, some businesses misuse science to control what we eat so they can make profit. Like pretty much anything else, science can be used for good or bad. Even radiation. It can be used for bombs or cancer cures.

BTW, Tonington knows quite a bit about the science of food. I would hardly call pompass an authority on science. He said he's an engineer, but he's also said that the speed of light cannot be changed. The speed of light through space is different than the speed of light through water, for instance.

Yep, lime in the 'tater holes works well. I think it beats pouring a few thousand gallons of round-up on a canola field to eradicate every living thing in the field except the (GM) "round-up ready" canola.

But I'm not a scientist and I can prove it...the only thing I know about the speed of light is that Silver (The Lone Ranger's horse) could run at that speed. Or was that Superman's flying speed. Gawd, there you go...too many facts to remember! :lol:

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I would think cancer research has gone through tens of billions, but it's hard to say.

Nationmaster might be able to help concerning which peoples have smaller rates of cancer:
Death from cancer by country. Definition, graph and map.
It looks incomplete to me, but perhaps the cancer rates in countries other than North American, European, and Oz have neglegible cancer rates.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Yep, lime in the 'tater holes works well. I think it beats pouring a few thousand gallons of round-up on a canola field to eradicate every living thing in the field except the (GM) "round-up ready" canola.

But I'm not a scientist and I can prove it...the only thing I know about the speed of light is that Silver (The Lone Ranger's horse) could run at that speed. Or was that Superman's flying speed. Gawd, there you go...too many facts to remember! :lol:
v of light = 186,000 miles per second in a vacuum approximately. lol That is about 14,500 times the speed of sound.

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
v of light = 186,000 miles per second in a vacuum approximately. lol

Sorry, having me participate in a scientific discussion would be like finding a turd in your punch bowl...just doesn't belong there!

But damn, that horse was fast! Didn't they always say, "With a cloud of dust, at the speed of light, and a hearty heigh-yo Silver", just before that cool music started (The William Tell Overture)? Never mind...off topic! :lol::lol::lol:

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Sorry, having me participate in a scientific discussion would be like finding a turd in your punch bowl...just doesn't belong there!
No worries. Learning something new every day should be a delight. :D

But damn, that horse was fast! Didn't they always say, "With a cloud of dust, at the speed of light, and a hearty heigh-yo Silver", just before that cool music started (The William Tell Overture)? Never mind...off topic! :lol::lol::lol:
I don't know. I can't remember seeing a show like that.

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
No worries. Learning something new every day should be a delight. :D

I don't know. I can't remember seeing a show like that.

What?!! Must be nice to be so young! :cool: Maybe JLM would know 'bout this...I'm not sayin' he's old, just experienced. And a guy. And we're still on topic too, because we're discussing the possibility of a horse being able to run at 186,000 miles per second. In a vacuum.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Wasn't radio populated mostly by vacuum tubes then?
Some still are. Vacuum tubes are supposed to enable radios to reproduce the best sound. (Stereos, too).
I dunno how you'd get a horse inside one, though.