It was me who dreamed up Neil Armstrong's immortal line, says British scientist

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
It is one of the most famous utterances of the 20th Century, up there with Churchill's "We shall fight them on the beaches..."

In July 1969, Neil Armstrong said the words "One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind" as he became the first Earthling (at least that we know of) to step foot on the Moon.

Armstrong has claimed that he thought up the speech.

But now it turns out that a British scientist is responsible.

Gary Peach, 73, who sports the stereotypical boffin's beard, claimed he invented the phrase whilst working at a satellite tracking station in Australia.

Mr Peach was asked by his boss - who was in contact with the Apollo 11 mission team - what he thought the astronaut should say.

And Mr Peach suggested 'One small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.'

Mr Peach says it was probably a good thing that it was he, rather than Armstrong or another astronaut, who came up with the speech, mainly due to the fact the astronauts were Americans.

He says: 'I thought, being Americans, they might say, "Holy chicken s**t look at all that f***ing dust". I felt that would not be a suitable thing to be quoted in history books until eternity.'

When Armstrong's words were broadcast to 450million TV viewers around the world on July 20, 1969, only the word 'a' was missing.

Though today NASA who, like other Americans who claim British achievements as their own, still believe Armstrong invented the phrase.

Alongside England winning the World Cup and the realisation that Australia DID have electrical power, the Moon landing was one of the great events of the Sixties.

One giant speech for mankind: It was me who dreamed up Neil Armstrong's immortal line, says retired British scientist

By Julie Moult
21st July 2009
Daily Mail

When Neil Armstrong stepped on to the surface of the moon and declared, 'That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind' it became one of the most famous phrases in history.

He claimed to have given little thought to the off-the-cuff remark before climbing out of the Eagle lander to become the first man on the moon 40 years ago this week.

But in a quiet corner of Berkshire, a retired British scientist has claimed for the first time that he had made up the words while working at a satellite tracking station in Australia.

Wordsmith: Gary Peach, 73, was working at an Australian tracking station at the time of the Apollo 11 mission but has always kept quiet about his eureka moment

Gary Peach, 73, was asked by his boss - who was in contact with the Apollo 11 mission team - what he thought the astronaut should say.

The grandfather, from Newbury, says he suggested: 'One small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.'

When Armstrong's words were broadcast to 450million TV viewers around the world on July 20, 1969, only the word 'a' was missing.

Famous first words: Neil Armstrong on the Moon after uttering the iconic phrase

Mr Peach said: 'The day before the Apollo mission I was doing some final tests on the equipment.

'I was approached by the director, a Mr Monkton. He was an American who was in contact with Apollo. I told him I was worried about what would be said when they landed on the moon.

'I thought, being Americans, they might say, "Holy chicken s**t look at all that f***ing dust". I felt that would not be a suitable thing to be quoted in history books until eternity.

'He asked me what should be said. I had been thinking about this. I told him, "One small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind" - and I definitely said "a man".

'What he did with my suggestion I have no idea, but he did leave immediately and at a greater pace than he had entered the room.

'The idea was to let future generations know we were aware of what we were doing and were not doing it by accident. I heard the landings at work and when I heard what he said I was not displeased.

'But I just got on with my job. The rest is history.'

The microwave engineer had moved to Australia in the Sixties and started working at the Tidbinbilla tracking station in Canberra, Australia's capital, where he was involved with earlier space flights.

Armstrong - now a near recluse - has always insisted he came up with the phrase in the hours between the touchdown of the lunar module and his first steps on the moon's surface.

A spokesman for NASA said they stood by their man.

Vital work: Gary Peach at the Tidbinilla tracking station in Canberra, Australia in 1969

'For decades, Neil has publicly discussed the origin of his now iconic line and we fully support his account of that historic statement,' said John Yembrick.

When Armstrong was asked about the phrase in 2001, he said: 'I thought about it after landing, and because we had a lot of other things to do, it was not something I really concentrated on but was passing around subliminally.

'It was a pretty simple statement, talking about stepping off something. It wasn't a very complex thing.

'It was contrived in a way, and I was guilty of that.'

Referring to the missed 'a', he said he hoped 'history would grant me leeway for dropping the syllable and understand that it was certainly intended, even if it was not said'.

Jupiter has gained a mysterious 'black eye' as big as Earth after it was hit by a massive asteroid or comet.

The dark spot was punched into the planet's 600-mile deep atmosphere at the weekend and spotted by an amateur astronomer in Australia.

Nasa scientist Dr Glenn Orton said the object would have been travelling at up to 60 miles a second, adding: 'It could be the impact of a comet.'

He said the scar would last a couple of weeks. Jupiter is the solar system's largest planet, with a mass twice that of the other seven planets combined.

dailymail.co.uk

Last edited:

sirlorenzo

Electoral Member
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto
ahaha, It would be funny if the first words uttered on the moon were "holy f*%k look at all that dang dust!"