Time to Think of Cutting Next Winter's Bills

CanadianLove

Electoral Member
Feb 7, 2009
Here is a link to a program in Ontario called Net Metering. They do not pay you for power that you produce, but excess power produced can be banked on the grid for up to 12 month to be used at a later date.

I plan on using this program if I ever settle down to one area and buy some property. Sent the re-new date for Spring. Have a wind mill and a solar panel to bank power on the grid while I am aay sailing all Summer and when I get off the ship in the Wnter the banked amount should be enough to heat a home at no additional cost with electricity. This saves a person a large amount of money from the saved cost of storage batteries, although the batteries are good in the event the power goes out.

Up to 500kW
Ministry of Energy and Infrastructure : Net Metering

Here also is a program for a medium size producer to 10MW. Solar is bought at $0.42/kWh in this program.
Ontario's Standard Offer Program

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
As long as you're married to the banking machine through the wire umbilical cords you will be working for them. Sweaters and slippers and thicker walls built further into the ground with the windows pointing south are a far better cost saving arrangement, and make it fifty per cent smaller> What the hell do you need six rooms for? Thermally efficient home design represents a huge untapped potential for radical reduction in houseing construction and maintenance costs. If you're going to generate homemade power convert it into domestic hot water.
Probably the biggest consumer rip off ever is power hungry consumer houseing. Buy one of the debt generating units at your peril, you'll slave there for decades trying to keep up with the money outflow. See Money Pit.
While I'm at it what do you think you're doing mentioning winter in june. We don't want to hear that word. What's next snowshoe maintenance tips? Why couldn't you have just kept it to yourself till July like most Canadians. I'll be cold all day now.:smile:

Last edited:

Trex

Electoral Member
Apr 4, 2007
Hither and yon
Here is a link to a program in Ontario called Net Metering. They do not pay you for power that you produce, but excess power produced can be banked on the grid for up to 12 month to be used at a later date.

I plan on using this program if I ever settle down to one area and buy some property. Sent the re-new date for Spring. Have a wind mill and a solar panel to bank power on the grid while I am aay sailing all Summer and when I get off the ship in the Wnter the banked amount should be enough to heat a home at no additional cost with electricity. This saves a person a large amount of money from the saved cost of storage batteries, although the batteries are good in the event the power goes out.

Up to 500kW
Ministry of Energy and Infrastructure : Net Metering

Here also is a program for a medium size producer to 10MW. Solar is bought at $0.42/kWh in this program.
Ontario's Standard Offer Program

Seems like a good idea.
Probably should be copied by other provinces.

I assume you know it will end up being more cost effective to just purchase power off the grid

Trex

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
With an eye to saving money next winter, I was prepared to chuck it all and head to the bush. Then, my wife reminded me we're already there.

:confused3:...........(me)

:sign3:............(wife)