Are these the claw marks that prove there's a panther on the prowl in Norfolk?

Blackleaf
There have been numerous sightings of supposed big cats throughout Britain over the years, creating rumours that animals such as panther (also known as puma) and lynx may be living wild in the British countryside.

And there have been two more pieces of evidence recently. Firstly, claw marks on a tree in Norfolk appear to have been caused by a panther.

Not only that, what appears to be a huge, black cat has been photographed in Buckinghamshire.

There have been more than 2,000 sightings of suspected big cats in counties including Yorkshire, Devon, Somerset, Cornwall and Kent.

Are these the claw marks that prove there's a panther on the prowl in Norfolk?

By Daily Mail Reporter
07th April 2009
Daily Mail

These claw marks could be the proof that a deadly panther is wandering the woods and fields of East Anglia, it is claimed.

A big cat was seen making the marks in the latest of a spate of similar sightings in Norfolk.

Shaun Baxter, 42, said he watched the animal in action as he was out shooting rabbits between North Walsham and Edingthorpe.

Claws for thought: Shaun Baxter says he saw a 'panther-like' animal making the marks on this tree near North Walsham, Norfolk

The sighting on Sunday afternoon came on the same day that a photograph emerged of what looked like a black panther in New Denham, Buckinghamshire.

Mr Baxter said: 'I was standing next to a tree in my camouflage gear and about 70 yards away was a big black panther-like cat.

'It was scratching on a tree, like a normal household cat would do at its scratching post.' The gouges reach about 4ft off the ground and cut half an inch into the wood.

Mr Baxter, an unemployed father-of-two, of Bowthorpe near Norwich, said they could not have been made by a domestic cat or dog and the beast he saw was much bigger than a husky.

He waited 20 minutes after the animal slid off into thick trees before he plucked up the courage to examine the scratches.

'My heart was thumping. I couldn't believe the marks on the trees,' said Mr Baxter.

So far in Norfolk this year a panther-like beast has been sighted in Hevingham, North Elmham and Aylmerton, as well as Hellesdon near Norwich.

Enlarge
The big cat snapped in Buckinghamshire

Is this blurry shot a panther in the park or just a furry toy?

By Ryan Kisiel
05th April 2009
Daily Mail

It could be a blurred snapshot taken somewhere on safari.

This creature, however, was not spotted in some far-flung wilderness but the rather more sedate British countryside.

Paul Keehn, who took the picture on his mobile phone, is convinced he spotted a panther roaming the fields of Buckinghamshire.

Real or just a toy? It's hard to tell what this blur is

Paul Keehn: Convinced he saw a 'big cat'

Some experts are now claiming the image, taken in New Denham, could be the most compelling evidence yet that big cats exist in Britain.

Mr Keehn, a 35-year-old electrician, said: 'I only took the photo to show my girlfriend because I thought she wouldn't believe me.

'I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

'It was a lot larger than your average cat - it had a huge head and looked like a panther to me.

'I'm gutted I didn't get a clearer picture but I didn't fancy getting any closer.'

However, Danny Bamping of the British Big Cats Society remains sceptical.

'It doesn't look life-like at all and the posture of the animal is far too much like the poses cuddly toys come in,' he said.

There have been more than 2,000 sightings of suspected big cats in counties including Yorkshire, Devon, Somerset, Cornwall and Kent.

dailymail.co.uk

Twila
Quote:

also known as puma

Actually that's wrong. A puma is also known as a cougar or Mountain Lion. Panthers are a different cat.

karrie
Quote: Originally Posted by TwilaView Post

Actually that's wrong. A puma is also known as a cougar or Mountain Lion. Panthers are a different cat.

'Panther' is a tricky term. It covers a lot of different big cats apparently, although, I've most commonly seen it used to describe black leopards.

Black panther - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

VanIsle
There have been numerous sightings of supposed big cats throughout Britain over the years, creating rumours that animals such as panther (also known as puma) and lynx may be living wild in the British countryside.

Dictionary description

pan∑ther
(panthr), n., pl. -thers, (esp. collectively) -ther, adj.
n.
1. the cougar or puma, Felis concolor.
2. the leopard, Panthera pardus.
3. any leopard in the black color phase.

I don't agree with it being called a Lynx as a Lynx is a Bob Cat, which is generally about the size of a medium sized dog (cocker spaniel size). Considerably bigger then a house cat but considerably smaller than a cougar. However, I believe that puma, panther, mountain lion and cougar are all classifed as one and the same.

karrie
And now that I can see the photo in the article, I've never heard of melanistic big cats having white chests... or looking so much like a stuffed animal.

Twila
proof that a dictionary's definition of a puma being a cougar can lead you astray...

Although if you are in north america and you yell "look out a panther" people will look at you like your crazy...

Yell out "look out a puma, mountain lion, or cougar" and people will look