My latest attempt at science

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
I recently read about a demonstration and decided to try it out. I also got a kickass new camera and wanted to try that out, so i combined the desires and made a movie of my attempt. It was supposed to give a fireball but I quite like the slower result I got. I know how to improve it too, but i'll have to purchase some supplies.

I tried to upload the video to our video section but the upload wouldnt work no matter how long i left it.

YouTube - MVI 0046

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
It kinda looks like potassium in water. Neat popping effect Hermann. How much reactant was that?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
btw, am I the only one who keeps reading this as 'my latest attempt at suicide'?

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
Was phospher or magnesium used? Were the sparks plasma or less? Was the base water? What were you doing?

There is no such thing as "phosphor" (or phospher). There is such a thing as "phosphorus", but no, i didn't use that. Magnesium was used, yes. although not just magnesium.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
OK here is the procedure I used, but before I start I want to warn everyone that this is a dangerous reaction and should not be attempted by anyone without some serious forethought and hazard evaluation. It is not a reaction to be attempted by anyone without experience and chemistry knowledge.

I took some silicon dioxide, mixed it with magnesium turnings, heated it with a roaring blue bunsen flame until the magnesium reacted with the silicon dioxide (and the glass of the test-tube, since glass is essentially silicon dioxide too). I then allowed the resulting mixture to cool down somewhat before dumping it into 1 Molar hydrochloric acid.

The reactions are multiple. basically the test-tube contains leftover magnesium and silicon dioxide, also magnesium silicide, silicon and magnesium oxide.

the silicon dioxide and magnesium oxide both just dissolve. The magnesium reacts with the acid to form hydrogen which bubbles to the surface. The magnesium silicide reacts with the acid to form silane, which spontaneously ignites on contact with air, igniting the hydrogen. The silicon falls to the bottom, essentially pure.

I intend to try repeating the experiment with powdered magnesium which should make it faster and more spectacular. Perhaps even a fireball.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
In your video I see an institutional, painted concrete block wall with what looks like a periodic table taped to it. This leads me to believe the experiment was done inside a school of some sort. Now you are talking about creating a fireball. Will the school still be there after the fireball?...:smile:

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
college. and it wouldn't be the first one :0) the trick is to make the right SIZE fireball. Obviously too big and ceiling repairs are required.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
college. and it wouldn't be the first one :0) the trick is to make the right SIZE fireball. Obviously too big and ceiling repairs are required.

I enjoyed the experiment. Would have been neat to have a macro camera lense looking over the surface of the .....acid...It might have a sort of primordial Earth look to it....second thought it might not have done the camera a lot of good...;-)

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
I got the idea from here.

As you can my results aren't half as spectacular as the other fellow's. It's because i used magnesium turnings instead of magnesium powder.

My next trick will be this

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I got the idea from here.

As you can my results aren't half as spectacular as the other fellow's. It's because i used magnesium turnings instead of magnesium powder.

My next trick will be this

Isn't that the basis of the reaction for the glowing tomatoes you see on youtube?

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
:tard:.....Hey Herm; No danger of that there doin one a them congenital nuke u ler holocaustic things, with mushroomy clouds an all, eh.........an wipin out half er so o'the Rock??

Perish the thought. Where would DW live??

:lol:

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
Isn't that the basis of the reaction for the glowing tomatoes you see on youtube?

No. The glowing tomatoes you see on youtube have a basis in LED lights inserted into tomatoes.

They like to pretend that it's to do with white phosphorus, but they also state that they get that from matches, and no-one sells white phosphorus matches any more. it's illegal. They had a tendency to explode in people's pockets so they got phased out. Very quickly.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
:tard:.....Hey Herm; No danger of that there doin one a them congenital nuke u ler holocaustic things, with mushroomy clouds an all, eh.........an wipin out half er so o'the Rock??

Perish the thought. Where would DW live??

:lol:

not much danger of that, no. I don't have anything remotely radioactive apart from my bismuth, but that's got a half-life of several billion years so probably safe :0)