Peanut Allergies

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Speaking of conspiracy theories, no one had a peanut allergy until Jimmy Carter was President.

What gives with peanut allergies? When did this start and why? When I was a kid everyone ate peanuts. Now my kid can't even take something to school that could've been made anywhere near a peanut because of kids having allergies. It's bizarre.

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan
Maybe Jimmy owns lots of soybean stock too...since apparently you can make anything out of soybeans, from milk to armor plates.

Nevermind that soy milk tastes just like a dirty armor plate on a tank.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I don't know Kreskin. My daughter can't take anything to class with sesame seeds or flax in it.

The school my kids go to does have a 'peanut table' though, where kids can go to eat their peanut butter sandwiches, so long as the wash well and rinse their mouths after.

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
I know a young boy who has such sever allergies to peanuts he's at constant risk - he's run into very serious problems just for being in the same room peanut butter was in. Once he came to visit my sister in law and there was a knife in the sink that had been used for peanut butter - out came the epi-pen within minutes, and a trip to the hospital. Another time he touched a door handle that had a bit of peanut butter on it from the kid that lived there and he barely made it inside the door before he dropped to the ground. That one ended up being a fairly long hospital stay as I recall. It's some kind of scary, I'll tell ya. His poor mom is so paranoid and constantly on guard for possible exposure.

I do wonder what accounts for the dramatic rise in allergies and asthma amongst our kids - something's got to be causing it...

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I know a young boy who has such sever allergies to peanuts he's at constant risk - he's run into very serious problems just for being in the same room peanut butter was in. Once he came to visit my sister in law and there was a knife in the sink that had been used for peanut butter - out came the epi-pen within minutes, and a trip to the hospital. Another time he touched a door handle that had a bit of peanut butter on it from the kid that lived there and he barely made it inside the door before he dropped to the ground. That one ended up being a fairly long hospital stay as I recall. It's some kind of scary, I'll tell ya. His poor mom is so paranoid and constantly on guard for possible exposure.

I do wonder what accounts for the dramatic rise in allergies and asthma amongst our kids - something's got to be causing it...
It's perplexing. Was it just not diagnosed in the olden days or is this a new thing?

jenn

Electoral Member
Jan 13, 2008
it has always been there..but I think more people are aware of it now and people are being more diligent about it... when one child has an allergy it now affects the whole school.. eating areas are more common now.. one thing that ticked me off, one of my sons schools.. no peanuts.. no peanut butter sandwiches, cookies etc... yet they sold glossett peanuts at the concession....

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
I'm sure it was always there to an extent, but I don't recall ever seeing a serious incident with a food allergy amongst my school peers - and back then, peanut butter sandwiches were a staple in every second lunch bag. I really do think there's been an increase, which has of course led to increased awareness.

jenn

Electoral Member
Jan 13, 2008
oh defiantly... there are alot more kids as well as adults with allergies, exzemas, and asthma nowadays... I blame the enviroment... additives in the foods....

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
It's perplexing. Was it just not diagnosed in the olden days or is this a new thing?

One day some clever young researcher will discover that nut allergies are related to drinking pop with aspartame or something equally as dumb.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
A friend of mine who took a couple courses in immunology said one of the working theories is that kids are too clean. Lack of exposure to anything that sparks an immune response means that they end up with a hyper active immune system that overreacts to things. But, that was just one view.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
That makes a lot of sense,but then nobody has ever accused me of being overly clean and tidy:lol: No peanut butter allowed in any of our local schools either & it's one of my favourite snack foods[not that I go to school!]

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
This is one idea that the CSI franchises haven't used yet: Cause Of Death..inhalation of peanut butter fumes. Who needs the pro writers,eh?

Vereya

Council Member
Apr 20, 2006
Tula
I have a terrible allergy not only to peanuts, but to any kind of nuts - walnuts, hazelnuts, cashew nuts, any nuts. If I eat a nut, I will die. If I touch some food, like a cake, or a chocolate bar, that's got nuts in it, and then accidentally touch my face, my face gets swollen. If I get into the room where nuts are lying somewhere, I have difficulties breathing. That's so inconvenient...

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

The people who die of peanut allergies are often the ones who go into anaphylactic shock. I once saw a person almost die of a severe drug allergy in minutes. A peanut allergic reaction could have been diagnosed as a heart attack in earlier times.

harleyhunny

Time Out
Feb 25, 2008
International
Apparently according to the 'experts' we were given things like peanut butter too early in our growth. What we innocently did not know then, but no now. too late. I am allergic to peanuts, but not such a severe allergy. I hear they are going to have it so other kids cannot have thier beloved PBJ at school because of this, this is wrong, taking away others rights for those that can't do for themselves. I think this is unfair and again the government seeing only with tunnel vision. Those parents who have kids with such severe allergies should be teaching their kids to take their own safety into hand and not expect others too, or take selfishly away from others. Tell your kid to eat in another area, this is all that has to be done, no one else needs to be put out, or inconvenienced because others cannot think or do for themselves. I have a very strong reaction to people peeling oranges, am I going to stop them from doing that. NO. I will move to another spot if possible, or cover my nose.
There is no need to tell others they cannot have peanut butter in the schools, that is ridiculous. It seems these type of people want it their way and no other way, with no thought to anyone but themselves, and that is not fair or equal. The world is not all your way. Everyone has rights, no one has the right to take any of those away. I will send my kid to school with whatever I want to put in their lunch, and I have had words with teachers, and I continue to put in what I want in their lunch. My kids were also told not to share their lunch, my daughter one time years ago did not finish all her lunch and the teacher was going to give it to some kid whose lazy mother had not made him one. I told her she owed my daughter lunch. because we have a rule in our home, what you do not eat at school, can be an after school snack or taken home for the next day. I was not always rich, and certainly not when the kids were young. I worked two jobs to climb up the ladder. It is not my job to feed the damn neigborhood.
anyhow, I have many food allergies, I just deal with it.
People are allergic to starches, flours, etc. I am, and found out that one of the medicines I was taking for hives had starch in the pill, and most do, so I take reactine for the itch and hives that come from foods, dust, pollen, etc.
Reactine will help those bumps you get from touching foods that you are allergic to,then touch yourself, you get hives, reactine works great.
They should have different areas where kids with severe peanut allergies can eat in peace, and without taking the rights of others away. A democracy, isn't that novel. Equality for all (not just whiners, I know the squeeky wheel gets greased, but this is getting to be asinine), and even more novel idea.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Hmm, never heard of the peanut butter clause in any rights, but the right to life, that's definitely in there.

How does the person with the allergies know that the spot they move to isn't contaminated with peanut butter? Or in class students who ate peanut butter during lunch/recess may still have it on them. Pretty hard to know that. So don't allow it.

Don't like it? Quit your bitching. Right to life supercedes right to eat peanut butter.