Denialists at it again, trying to drum up consensus

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
This is really pathetic. Some of you may remember a petition some years back from the Oregon Institute of Science and medicine. It was known as the "Oregon Petition," and famous for having approximately 17,800 signatures giving their "expert" support against the Kyoto Protocol. Scrutiny of that document revealed duplicate entries, and rather humorous entries like Geri Halliwell ( A spice Girl) and Perry Mason (TV lawyer.)

Well, now they are up to their old tricks again. They have mass-mailed out a package including an article from the Journal of American Physicians and Surgeons, a highly dubious Journal which in the past has accepted papers arguing that HIV does not cause AIDS, that abortions lead to breast cancer, and that Medicare is unconstitutional. After reading the article, they ask you to sign the new petition.

A perusal of the article Environmental effects of increased atmospheric carbon dioxide by Robinson, Robinson and Soon (basically a revamped version of the 1999 version) reveals the obvious errors. They go on at arms length how anthropogenic emissions have zero ( and the many incarnations of the concept that is nothing) effect on climate, but later on they admit that the tiny amount of CO2 output is dramatically changing the biosphere.

Perhaps what I find most hilarious, is the uneven nature that denialists will argue from. Discussing the IPCC and the consensus that exists in the climate studies community, they will tell you that science is not accomplished through consensus, that consensus is meaningless and that the climate community was proclaiming an imminent ice age (in actuality it was very few people saying this). Then, in other instances, we have this bull crap.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2007/10/8/20831/0086

Last edited:

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
All I know is I keep a "board" waxed and ready to go....

Global warming and rise in ocean levels....Surfs UP!

Global cooling......Fresh Snow.....Surfs UP!

It's all rather becoming something of a yawn.....

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Best just to keep an open mind on the matter. Climate trends can happen for various reasons. :smile:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
"consensus that exists in the climate studies community"

The consensus was wrong as usual, science rules. CO2 is beautiful stuff why should we hide it under green rugs. That won't adjust the sun. CO2 is the secret ingredient in the global kool aid.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
New nic for DaS. Necro Troll.

Sounds good...I might just use it:lol:

But Some people have already guessed that I'm trying my own brand of aversion therapy by using over-stimuli....

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
I can really kill some time using that similar thread thingy at the bottom. It really is aversion therapy when you realize, 'plus c'est change, plus c'est meme chose'. LOL