Global warming makes Antarctic ice hit record levels

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan
Perhaps the arctic is melting because of lib hot air or maybe heat from Al Gore's jets and houses...

While the news focus has been on the lowest ice extent since satellite monitoring began in 1979 for the Arctic, the Southern Hemisphere (Antarctica) has quietly set a new record for most ice extent since 1979.
This can be seen on this graphic from this University of Illinois site The Cryosphere Today, which updated snow and ice extent for both hemispheres daily. The Southern Hemispheric areal coverage is the highest in the satellite record, just beating out 1995, 2001, 2005 and 2006. Since 1979, the trend has been up for the total Antarctic ice extent.
http://icecap.us/index.php/go/joes-blog/a_new_record_for_antartic_total_ice_extent

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Fewer people live in the Southern Hemisphere so obviously there would be less AGW.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
May 27, 2005

Antarctic Ice: A Global Warming Snow Job?

Filed under: Polar, Antarctic, Glaciers/Sea Ice, Sea Level Rise
Climate scientists have long suspected that warming the oceans around a very cold continent is likely to dramatically increase snowfall. Consider Antarctica. It’s plenty chilly, dozens of degrees below freezing, and it’s surrounded by water. The warmer the water, the greater the evaporation from its surface, and, obviously, the more moisture it contributes to the local atmosphere.
So, when this moisture gets swirled up by a common cyclone, do you think it’s going to fall as rain in Antarctica?
A recent study, no shocker to real climatologists (but perhaps to climate doomsayers), demonstrates this simple physics. It appears in the latest SciencExpress, and it shows that the vast majority of the Antarctic landmass is rapidly gaining ice and snow cover.

Obviously this moisture comes from the sea. And, being deposited in solid form on the land-way-down-under, this lowers the earth’s sea level.

http://tinyurl.com/bycv3

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
How much have those seas risen so far?

Exactly. As one who lives by the ocean I have made the following observations.

The same spots on the beach that I used to play in as a child are still there.

The seas have not risen.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Exactly. As one who lives by the ocean I have made the following observations.

The same spots on the beach that I used to play in as a child are still there.

The seas have not risen.
One of the best winters for snowmobiling since I was a teen.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
One of the best winters for snowmobiling since I was a teen.

I have not seen as much snow accumulation in my life. By accumulation I mean it did not melt. That means temps were so cold that the snow has been covering the ground since December. Unheard of.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Is the sea rising or is the land sinking?

I have not seen as much snow accumulation in my life. By accumulation I mean it did not melt. That means temps were so cold that the snow has been covering the ground since December. Unheard of.
The past decade has been normal for snowfalls with this year peaking. Just like it always has and the droughts have come and gone like they always have.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Is the sea rising or is the land sinking?

The past decade has been normal for snowfalls with this year peaking. Just like it always has and the droughts have come and gone like they always have.

Yes indeed. And my kids bundled up nice and warm to wait for the school bus on those bitter cold mornings.

Just like I used to at their age.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Just wait until spring for the floods. There is a damn good reason land on a flood plain is cheap and available.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Another book that says we eat too much meat, too many popcorn farts and we drive too much?

No more burgers and corn at the drive-in then I guess?

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
No, it's a dissection of the multiple strains of science from a skeptical thinker with three PhDs.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
If the models are correct and they have been so far Antarctica will see a massive reduction in ice very soon.

The signs are already there.