Green Agenda Going Too Far

DavidB

Nominee Member
Apr 24, 2006
www.akiti.ca
Is it just me, or does anybody else feel overdosed on the present “green” fad? Conserve electricity. Tax gasoline to the max. Charge fees on oil. etc. etc. Micromanage everybody’s life. I am starting to feel that it has gone too far–- to the point that it is being counterproductive.

What’s next?

<sarcasm>

Maybe we should petition Kraft Canada to change the cooking instructions for Kraft Dinner (in America, Mac ‘n’ Cheese).

According to the instructions on the box, the pasta should be added to 6 cups of boiling water. However, 6 cups is too much. I find that you only need enough water to cover the pasta. Four cups does fine; you could probably do it in three too.

Let’s say you use four cups, a savings of 2 cups of water every time you cook a box of Kraft Dinner.
2 cups = 0.0004731765 cubic Metres
Assuming a density of 1000 kg per cubic Metre, that equals 0.4731765 Kilograms.
0.4731765 Kilograms = 473.1765 Grams
Assuming a specific heat for water of 4.186 Joules per Gram per degree Celcius, and the temperature of the water is being raised from 20 degrees Celcius to 100 degrees Celcius, that equals 158457.34632 Joules.
Assuming sales of 5 million boxes of Kraft Dinner per year, that equals 792286731.6 kiloJoules per year–-enough to power a small city!!! All to boil water that just gets drained after “7 to 8 min. or to desired tenderness.”

Who’s with me? Let’s contact Kraft Canada and request that they change their recommended cooking instructions to use four cups of water instead of six.

</sarcasm>

Aaahhh. I feel so much better for having vented.

David

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
It might be going to far but the sad thing is the opposition keeps saying it is not enough. What would they think is enough?

snfu73

disturber of the peace
Oh boy....more complaining about environmentalism.

I hope and pray the current green "fad" is not a fad at all, and more and more measures are taken by governments all over the planet to reign in human behavior and the impact it makes on the environment.

typingrandomstuff

Duration_Improvate
A common reply... a comon answer

Ahh, the green fad. I doubt being green have a some sort of fad. I don't think you know what green is there, and why even people like green that much.

To tell you the truth, if we do not get a balance for nature, it is first nature dies. Then because we are part of nature, we die. It is just a matter of survival that "green" gets started. It's a reminder for people to have quality life style and clean fresh air.

Some people over do it and really, their definition of green isn't that green. If they keep on saving on specie, the other specie is lost. If you save a fox, you lose rodents. If you save rodents, you lose fox. To save habitat is great, but where will the people go? Are not we a part of the earth?

Therefore, I do not really think there is anything green when you say someone start a fad. If you want solutions, read the thread: 7-ways to save the world in this science and environment theme. If you are complaining, fine by me. Everyone need some time to let out their thoughts.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Go find more fresh water, arable land, species diversity and clean air.
I know, trivial concepts.
Warmer climate=more evaporation=more rainfall(fresh water). Warmer weather=longer growing season=more food. We are discovering more species on a regular basis. The air is cleaner now than it was in the 60's(check the records).

Last edited:

able

Electoral Member
Apr 26, 2007
Lake Erie, as an example, is now cleaner than it was 50 years ago. Having lived through many of these "emergencies", acid rain, etc,etc, I found the problems usually disappeared after a lot of money were thrown at them. Call me jaundiced, but I've seen too many money grabbing causes in my lifetime. After this, it will no doubt be our indiscriminate littering of Mars with various debris. Every idealist with an esoteric degree wants to feel useful, so, their mission has to be to convince the great unwashed that there is a fantastic tragedy imminent. Money comes in, silence is bought. We have not solved acid rain, cancer, heart disease, etc, lets throw billions of dollars at everything, it may not accomplish anything, but it will create a little peace and quiet.

Ali Khamsa

May 6, 2007
Let me get this straight. You in the "developed" world have destroyed the environment and now you want us in the "developing" world to stop building your toys and gadgets. You want us to stop building our economies and stay poor? I put it too you that this Kyoto crud is just another attempt to keep the power squarely in the hands of a few Infidels in the West. How is't that the "poor" in your countries don't rise up and stone the dogs?

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Let me get this straight. You in the "developed" world have destroyed the environment and now you want us in the "developing" world to stop building your toys and gadgets. You want us to stop building our economies and stay poor? I put it too you that this Kyoto crud is just another attempt to keep the power squarely in the hands of a few Infidels in the West. How is't that the "poor" in your countries don't rise up and stone the dogs?

They get 3 square meals a day. Never bite the hand that feeds you.

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
Lake Erie, as an example, is now cleaner than it was 50 years ago. Having lived through many of these "emergencies", acid rain, etc,etc, I found the problems usually disappeared after a lot of money were thrown at them. Call me jaundiced, but I've seen too many money grabbing causes in my lifetime. After this, it will no doubt be our indiscriminate littering of Mars with various debris. Every idealist with an esoteric degree wants to feel useful, so, their mission has to be to convince the great unwashed that there is a fantastic tragedy imminent. Money comes in, silence is bought. We have not solved acid rain, cancer, heart disease, etc, lets throw billions of dollars at everything, it may not accomplish anything, but it will create a little peace and quiet.

Pine trees grow better in acidic soil. Acid rain is not bad for the entire ecosystem.

Ali Khamsa

May 6, 2007
"3 square meals a day". Is that really enough? In the end can they really look in the mirror and say I led my life as best I could? How about, "I left my family with more than I started with"?
Now that the West is rich they expect the rest of the world to just accept the status quo. That is not going to happen.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Well, the idea is actually "don't make the same mistakes we did, you'll pay for it as we did".

And, China didn't listen, it got wealthy.. but it also developed the same amount of waste the west did, only it happened in a 20 year period so nature couldn't even begin to shrug it off.

And ho boy, the social ills. A wealthy consumerist civilization requires longer working hours and an absense of long lunches, and a requirement to start on time with no excuses that "life happened". (anyone who does business with many parts of the world knows that most places don't have the same concept of punctuality we do, its much, much laxer to make way for human behaviour).

There is a reason western nations have declining birthrates, but that is something the "developing world" doesn't want.

They want the large families and the time to actually see their family and have a family life, but they also want the wealth which can only be large scale attained by sacrificing that. You want the bread, but you don't want to make it, as the old story goes. If the developing world truly wanted to be wealthy we wouldn't need to harp on them for reforms.

Women would already have the right to work because you need everyone working to generate this level of wealth, so we wouldn't need to complain about womens rights.

Minorities would already be treated fairly equally, since ethnic or nationalistic drives only impede the economy.

And we sure as hell wouldn't have to talk about sustainable population growth, you'd already engage in it.

So its not like anyone is holding back anyone who wants to make wealth. Its not all about pollution and needing higher technology.

Ali Khamsa

May 6, 2007
Zzarchov:
You can't honestly believe what you just wrote do you?

Here is how I would paraphrase your statement:

-don't do what we did
-China did and is rich now
-we have a better work ethic than you do
-you have too many kids to support
-spoiled NA women complain about their rights how come yours don't?
-foreigners in your country need to be treated better than the average citizen
-some American concept of "sustainable growth" that only applies to a handful of central African countries
-we aren't actually trying to hold you back. its your own fault.

Do you realize how terribly narrow minded you sound? You just don't get it do you?
I was sent to school in Europe and Canada to learn your ways. You know nothing of the ways of others on this planet. It is no wonder you have so many problems.
Open your eyes and broaden your mind. It may save you some day.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
"3 square meals a day". Is that really enough? In the end can they really look in the mirror and say I led my life as best I could? How about, "I left my family with more than I started with"?
Now that the West is rich they expect the rest of the world to just accept the status quo. That is not going to happen.

What's the better way, to rise up and replace the government with some brainwashed religious nuts?

Ali Khamsa

May 6, 2007
He is also a puppet to the Christian Neo Right. Don't accuse others of doing something you have already done yourself.