Gene plays key role in embryonic, adult stem cells

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Humans are going down a path where control of everything will be nessessary. We alter our environment so much, we will need to 'evolve' ourselves to adapt to the changes we are making.

P.S. I don't care what those anuses say either.

Last edited:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Did anyone catch this this week? Lesbian couples could have their own babies.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6547675.stm
The article says something to the effect of 'the new law may be a stumbling block'. I gotta say, I'd have written that law up too once I heard about this! Stumble away! How terrifying to think of lab grown sex cells being used to create embryos which could have any of a host of problematic outcomes. What a heart break it would be for families thinking that it was their key to a child of their own genetic material.

By all means, prove a law isn't needed, but until it's proven through lab tests and studies, I'm glad someone's stepping in to say it can't be used yet.

It's so neat that science is taking research to such bizarre new heights.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Mmm, well many of these stem cell studies are quite a ways off yet from any proven results. I don't know that all that many have even made it to human trials yet

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Mmm, well many of these stem cell studies are quite a ways off yet from any proven results. I don't know that all that many have even made it to human trials yet

A lot of these really exciting ideas seem to fizzle away anyhow. Like the 2004 buzz around being able to get eggs to divide without fertilization. Everyone was so excited because it seemed like the perfect solution to the human rights issues surrounding use of embryos for stem cells... and then we never heard anything more!