Chimps are more evolved than humans

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Chimps are actually more evolved than humans

17th April 2007

A study has indicated that the forces of natural selection have had the greatest impact on our ape cousins

Chimpanzees are more evolved than humans, a study suggests.

There is no doubt that humans are the more advanced species. But a comparison of 14,000 human and chimpanzee genes shows the forces of natural selection have had the greatest impact on our ape cousins.

The researchers' discovery challenges the common assumption that our large brains and high intelligence were the gifts of natural selection.

Humans and chimps followed different evolutionary paths from a common ape ancestor about 5million years ago.

Both underwent changes as the fittest survived to pass their genes on to future generations. But the U.S. study shows that humans possess a 'substantially smaller' number of positively-selected genes than chimps.

This may be because the original human population was very small - which would have reduced the effectiveness of natural selection.

Instead, 'genetic drift' - the random survival of genetic mutations rather than their preservation by the laws of natural selection - was likely to have been more important in humans, according to the scientists, led by Dr Jianzhi Zhang from the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor.

"These observations refute the anthropocentric view that a grand enhancement in Darwinian-selection underlies human origins," they wrote in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

The researchers also found that positive selection acted on different genes in humans and chimps, and the selected genes were involved in different processes.

Surprisingly, many positively-selected genes in humans were involved in inherited diseases.

This may be because we live in a very different environment from the one our ancestors inhabited, said the scientists.

Adaptive changes that were positive for early hominids may not be so beneficial, or may be even harmful, today.

dailymail.co.uk

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I'd think that our advancement also has something to do with the evolutionary process. We don't need to adapt nearly as much as the less advanced species. Really that's our greatest evolutionary trait. Our bodies don't need to adapt, so long as we can create technology to circumvent any roadblocks. Heck, just look at the way we choose our partners now...

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
This is a list of apes of encyclopedic interest. It includes individual non-human apes (Bonobos, Chimpanzees, Gorillas, Orangutans and Gibbons) who are in some way famous or notable.
Note: This list does not include Monkeys, which are related to apes, nor fictional apes (see Related Topics), nor humans (who are considered apes by modern biologists, but are listed separately).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_apes

Our closest relative is probably the Bonobo. They are also the most promiscuous:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonobo#Sexual_social_behavior

lysyfacet

Life is good!
Apr 12, 2007
Brampton, ON
people say we evolved from chimps or which ever one of the "monkey" species. And yes they are very very smart. BUt see people who believe in evolution believe taht we evolved, i don't because i am a christian, but scientists have been studying and researching about where humans came from for years.

lysyfacet

Life is good!
Apr 12, 2007
Brampton, ON
We didn't evolve from Chimps, we're evolutionary cousins.

yes, thats what i meant. But i don't believe in the evolutionary myths or facts. As a christian i don't see it believable. God put me and everyone else here on the face of the earth. It says in the bible that he spent 7 days creating this world, and it was done by perfection. Thats what i believe, but everyone may think differently...no issues with that :).

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
the reason I know orangs are apes is that the librarian at the Unseen University in Terry Pratchett's Discworld books was accidentally turned into an Orang byt a magical accident and decided to stay as one, but violently assaulted anyone who called him a monkey. Don't say the M-word.
Apparently the most obvious difference is that monkeys have tails
I decided a long time ago that I am an ape. It's amazing how many people won't believe me

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
You take everything in the bible as literal truth, and not perhaps parables?

lysyfacet

Life is good!
Apr 12, 2007
Brampton, ON
You take everything in the bible as literal truth, and not perhaps parables?

no not at all, but there are things i read about from our human research, and then i read the bible. And basically somethings jst don't go together with my faith. I don't take the bible as literal truth at all...and the bible is filled with parables which have taught me alot of valuable lessons.
So i am not what some people say, "A bible thumper." I live my life like everyone does today, and at the sametime follow what god is teaching us from the bible and attendance at church.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I see, what I was getting at is why then does the creation story have to be literal? If it isn't then there is no reason why evolution doesn't fit the model. I know many Catholics who have no problems with evolution.

lysyfacet

Life is good!
Apr 12, 2007
Brampton, ON
I see, what I was getting at is why then does the creation story have to be literal? If it isn't then there is no reason why evolution doesn't fit the model. I know many Catholics who have no problems with evolution.

don't get me wrong, i'm not saying there is anything wrong with evolution. and i myself haven't done INDEPTH research enough to beable to say i strongly believe in it. Me as a person, doesnt believe in it, i'm not saying theres something wrong with it. And hey, i've thought about it alot, and some parts of evolution do fit into the model, just not enough for me. Its my opinion. I'm not saying i'm right or wrong, nor am i saying evolution is wrong either.