Astronomer Sir Patrick gets stamps of approval

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Sir Patrick gets stamps of approval

13/02/2007

A set of six stamps chosen by Sir Patrick Moore, 83, will go on sale today to celebrate 50 years of his astronomy programme The Sky At Night.

The BBC show is the longest-running programme in the world still boasting its original presenter.

The Royal Mail is honouring Sir Patrick Moore and his show The Sky At Night with a new collection of stamps

For the stamps, Sir Patrick chose five designs featuring nebulae — huge interstellar clouds of dust and gas.

The sixth stamp shows The Spindle, a galaxy 32 million light years away which holds a black hole about one billion times the size of the sun.

Sir Patrick said: "I feel deeply honoured. I would like to think that we have played a part in introducing astronomy to people who would otherwise have paid no real attention to the heavens.

"Many years hence, philatelists will still be admiring these stamps paying tribute, not to me, but to The Sky At Night."

Sir Patrick began presenting the monthly show, the BBC's longest-running programme, in April 1957.

telegraph.co.uk