Noah's Ark on the Moon.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Noah's Ark plan from top Moon man

By Pallab Ghosh
BBC Science Correspondent, at the BA festival

EU's first lunar probe is due to orbit the Moon in November

The European Space Agency's chief scientist has said there should be a "Noah's Ark" on the Moon, in case life on Earth is wiped out by an asteroid or nuclear holocaust.

Speaking exclusively to BBC News at the British Association Festival of Science, Dr Bernard Foing said the ark should be a repository for the DNA of every single species of plant and animal.

Dr Foing is head of Europe's Moon missions, so his thoughts on matters lunar should be taken seriously.

He is concerned that if the Earth were destroyed, there would be little or nothing left of the rich diversity of life on the planet. His solution is to build a DNA library on Earth's satellite.

"If there were a catastrophic collision on Earth or a nuclear war, you could place some samples of Earth's biosphere, including humans, [on the Moon]," he said.

"You could repopulate the Earth afterwards, like a Noah's Ark," he said.

For the time being though, Dr Foing is awaiting the arrival of Europe's first probe to the Moon.

The Smart 1 mission is due to arrive ahead of schedule in November. The spacecraft is testing a range of innovative technologies that should find their way on to many future European Space Agency probes.

It is the first of what he hopes will be a fleet of robotic spacecraft sent to the Moon. They would be used to build a lunar colony.

news.bbc.co.uk

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
It's an interesting idea.

In my opinion, though, forget a "Noah's Ark" concept; I think that the Moon should be a fully populated satellite. I think that once space travel to and from the Moon becomes more efficient and perhaps cheaper, we should colonize the moon with not only humans, but with other Earth-based organisms, too.

Mulder

Mar 9, 2006
Vancouver
www.canadianweather.org
Interesting concept for sure, and likely industry will lead the way for resources currently available on the moon. Not only industry will lead the way, but more than one country as China is vying very competitively with the U.S. to get to the moon for something called helium-3.

Colonizing the Moon won't be the first priority for humans, mining it for resources will be and default human presence will be the start of any Noahs Ark on the Moon, I think!

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
I'm okay with the idea of a DNA repository, on any body on the solar system or just flying though space. I'm actually much more excited about the idea of living and working in space. I see mars as a better prospect for colonization but the moon would make a good industrial base. The moon will probably ship platinum, deuterium and triterium to earth. It my also supply oxegen to space colonies around the earth.

Last edited:

Libra Girl

Electoral Member
Feb 27, 2006
I agree, Mars would be a better prospect for establishing a colony. Sorry the link wouldn't work, so I had to copy and paste.

Tuesday, 28 May, 2002, 11:27 GMT 12:27 UK
Ice reservoirs found on Mars

The findings were made by the Mars Odyssey spacecraft

By Dr David Whitehouse
BBC News Online science editor
Water-ice has been found in vast quantities just below the surface across great swathes of the planet Mars.
Ice shows up blue on the gamma-ray spectrometer

The finding by the American space agency (Nasa) is undoubtedly one of the most important made about the Red Planet.
It solves one of its deepest mysteries, points the way for manned exploration and reignites the question of whether life may exist on the planet.
Insiders suggest that, partly as a result of this finding, Nasa may now commit itself to a manned landing within 20 years.
Where the water went
The US space agency will make the dramatic announcement about the water-ice next Thursday. And full disclosure of the findings will come in the journal Science later that day.
The discovery was made by the Mars Odyssey spacecraft, which has been gathering data since late last year.
Mars water facts
Ice crystals less than one metre (three feet) below Mars surface

Located south of 60 degrees latitude

Melted, would create planet-wide ocean

It confirms early observations that also pointed to enormous reservoirs of ice just below the surface.
This finding will answer a question that has puzzled Mars researchers for decades: many lines of evidence suggest that the Red Planet was water-rich in the past, so where did all that water go?
The answer appears to be that it is in the regolith - the layer of loose rock and dust on the surface.
Mars Odyssey has been returning high-quality data about Mars' surface composition.
The spacecraft contains an instrument called a gamma-ray spectrometer that looks for gamma-rays (high-energy light) with a specific signature showing that they come from hydrogen less than one metre (three feet) beneath the Martian surface.
Astronomers believe that the hydrogen is locked up in crystals of ice.
Moon discovery
The same design of instrument was used on the Lunar Prospector spacecraft that discovered ice in the shadowed regions of the Moon's poles in 1998.
Also on board Mars Odyssey is a neutron spectrometer that registers evidence for underground ice in the same regions of the planet.
Researchers were amazed at the strength of the signal of the ice. They had expected to take a year to gather enough evidence but managed to do so in just a few weeks.
They announced preliminary findings in March but now have good data confirming large amounts of the water-ice just beneath the surface south of 60 degrees latitude.
Researchers suspect the same to be true of the northern hemisphere, but cannot make the appropriate observations until later this year due to the Martian winter in the north.
Nasa scientists were scheduled to hold a major news conference on Thursday when they would say that their earlier findings had been confirmed and extended. But this may be brought forward after a British newspaper leaked the news.
Look for life
The dramatic discovery may also guide the selection of future landing and exploration sites on Mars, and may suggest areas to look for evidence of past life.
The presence of such a vast amount of ice - if it were to melt it would drench the planet - will change profoundly the direction of future exploration.
The discovery may indicate areas on Mars where scientists can search for life forms

Although landing probes are planned - the European Beagle 2 and Nasa's twin Mars rovers next year - neither are targeted at the region where the ice may exist.
The Mars Polar Lander was to touch down in exactly the right spot in 1999 and would have undoubtedly detected the ice had it not malfunctioned on the way down.
Having water just below the surface will be an enormous boon to astronauts on Mars. Water is essential for life, so the discovery enhances the belief that Mars could have had life in the past and perhaps in the present as well.