Saturn, Neptune, their moons and beyond.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
Anyone else out there fascinated about the Cassini-Huygens mission to Saturn's moon Titan? If you are interested go to. Here
Titan is the largest moon of Saturn, the second largest in the Solar System (after Ganymede of Jupiter). It was discovered by Christiaan Huygens in 1655.

Titan's rotation period of about 16 days is synchronous to Saturn (meaning the same side always faces Saturn). It is the only moon in the Solar System known to have clouds and a thick, planet-like atmosphere.

I personally find this more fascinating than the Mars rover mission.(Titan looks more interesting) This took 7.5 years to reach Titan. Amazing how it could be done. It has gone where nothing has gone before.

There are pictures and sounds up. The terrain looks more interesting than mars, and similar to earth. Rivers and Oceans of methane, mountains. They said the spacecraft landed in "Sandy Like substance".

-180 C so thats cold but I wonder if they will ever plan a manned mission there in 70-100 years from now?

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
Anyone else out there fascinated about the Cassini-Huygens mission to Saturn's moon Titan? If you are interested go to. Here
Titan is the largest moon of Saturn, the second largest in the Solar System (after Ganymede of Jupiter). It was discovered by Christiaan Huygens in 1655.

Titan's rotation period of about 16 days is synchronous to Saturn (meaning the same side always faces Saturn). It is the only moon in the Solar System known to have clouds and a thick, planet-like atmosphere.

I personally find this more fascinating than the Mars rover mission.(Titan looks more interesting) This took 7.5 years to reach Titan. Amazing how it could be done. It has gone where nothing has gone before.

There are pictures and sounds up. The terrain looks more interesting than mars, and similar to earth. Rivers and Oceans of methane, mountains. They said the spacecraft landed in "Sandy Like substance".

-180 C so thats cold but I wonder if they will ever plan a manned mission there in 70-100 years from now?

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca

Giraldi_Theirrey

Electoral Member
Jun 23, 2004
RE: Titan

I only found 5 pictures of the inside of the moon. I am not sure if there are more.I wonder if there are pics of oceans ,lakes and rivers. So far only clouds and rocks have been shown. Anyway I have gotta say a few more things as I cannot resist:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Cool, so thats your home? You come from Titan, Andem comes from Mars and Peapod comes from Venus. Me? I come from good ol earth. Nice to meet you.

To tell you about myself I might appear very unique to you. You see, I have one head, 2 arms, 2 legs and a torso. A nose, mouth, ears, 2 eyes and hair.

Now this may seem very very unfamilar to you. Generally you guys have 2 or more heads and bigger fangs. To avoid confusion, we earthlings only have one head so we did not lose the other one as some of you might think. Anyways welcome to earth.

My body temperature is 37 degrees. Now you might think I am burning on fire but to tell you the truth this is normal earthling temperature. Wonder what is the body temperature of the folks here. I hope when we shake hands the temperature won't suprise you.

Giraldi_Theirrey

Electoral Member
Jun 23, 2004

I only found 5 pictures of the inside of the moon. I am not sure if there are more.I wonder if there are pics of oceans ,lakes and rivers. So far only clouds and rocks have been shown. Anyway I have gotta say a few more things as I cannot resist:
Cool, so thats your home? You come from Titan, Andem comes from Mars and Peapod comes from Venus. Me? I come from good ol earth. Nice to meet you.

To tell you about myself I might appear very unique to you. You see, I have one head, 2 arms, 2 legs and a torso. A nose, mouth, ears, 2 eyes and hair.

Now this may seem very very unfamilar to you. Generally you guys have 2 or more heads and bigger fangs. To avoid confusion, we earthlings only have one head so we did not lose the other one as some of you might think. Anyways welcome to earth.

My body temperature is 37 degrees. Now you might think I am burning on fire but to tell you the truth this is normal earthling temperature. Wonder what is the body temperature of the folks here. I hope when we shake hands the temperature won't suprise you.

Giraldi_Theirrey

Electoral Member
Jun 23, 2004

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca

Cassini Radar Images Show Dramatic Shoreline on Titan

PASADENA, Calif., Sept. 16 (AScribe Newswire) -- Images returned during Cassini's recent flyby of Saturn's moon Titan show captivating evidence of what appears to be a large shoreline cutting across the smoggy moon's southern hemisphere. Hints that this area was once wet, or currently has liquid present, are evident.

"We've been looking for evidence of oceans or seas on Titan for some time. This radar data is among the most telling evidence so far for a shoreline," said Steve Wall, radar deputy team leader from NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif

Read rest from above link.

I think its just a matter of time before we discover some form of life somewhere else.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca

Cassini captures icy plumes on Saturn moon

A teaser:

Saturn's moon Enceladus is spraying icy particles, a sign of geological activity, scientists say.

The Cassini spacecraft photographed the particles streaming from the moon's south pole.

"For planetary explorers like us, there is little that can compare to the sighting of activity on another solar system body," Carolyn Porco, the Cassini imaging team leader at the Space Science Institute in Boulder, Colo., said in a statement.

"This has been a heart-stopper and surely one of our most thrilling results."[/teaser]

Very interesting. A small but cool looking pic can be found at link.

bhoour

Electoral Member
May 10, 2005
earth
Re: Titan and other Moons of Saturn

Martian Genesis" tackles a controversial and exciting subject -- the evolution of the human race. Herbie Brennan links discoveries made by spacecraft in this century to hi-tech artifacts millennia old, ancient civilizations long dead, biblical descriptions often dismissed as mythology, and a picture of prehistory unlike anything you've ever read before. In this carefully researched and immensely readable in-depth survey of the scientific evidence, Brennan demonstrates that our race might have been seeded a hundred million years ago by creatures from the planet Mars.

Ineresting Read.............By Herbie Brennan

Another point to think from........... :alien:

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
RE: Saturn, Neptune and t

US group proposes Neptune mission

A teaser:

Neptune and its largest moon, Triton, could be the targets of a major space mission in the decades ahead, if a group of US researchers gets its way.

The team has put together a concept for a "mothership" and probes that would investigate the ice giant which orbits some 4.5bn km from the Sun.

So far, only one spacecraft, Voyager 2, has visited Neptune - a flyby in 1989.

A mission like the one being proposed could cost $3-4bn dollars and would probably need international partners.

But it is Neptune's largest moon, Triton, which may be the big pull for science.

It has a surface of fascinating contrasts and geysers of nitrogen. It is probably not a natural satellite but a captured object which came in from the furthest reaches of the Solar System.

"The moon is geologically active - we've seen that from Voyager 2's pictures of geysers," said David Atkinson, a University of Idaho professor. [/end teaser]

Interesting. Too bad it won't be manned as I would volounteer.

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
Re: Saturn, Neptune and their moons.

Cool links, Important!

I've been fascinated by Jupiter's 4 large moons since I went to the observatory here in Victoria and saw them through a small telescope an enthusiast had set up outside. Io is my very favourite. I usually have one of them as a desktop pic.

You'll have to come across the pond one day and we'll hit the observatory! It's pretty awesome.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
Re: Saturn, Neptune and their moons.

The solar system gets crazier

A teaser:

A swath of space beyond Neptune is getting stranger all the time as astronomers find an ever-more diverse array of objects in various orbits and groupings.

A pair of discoveries this month along with a handful of others in 2005 have begun to reveal what some astronomers long suspected: The outer solar system contains a dizzying array of round worlds on countless odd trajectories around the sun, often with multiple satellite systems.

The problem is, current theories of the solar system's formation and evolution can't account for it all.

Several discoveries

What is now called the Kuiper Belt was proposed in the 1940s by Irish economist and astronomer Kenneth Edgeworth and separately by American astronomer Gerard Kuiper in 1951. The first object out there was found in 1992. Now several worlds a third as massive as Pluto and larger are known to roam the solar system's outskirts, including one revealed this year that is at least as big as Pluto and considered by some to be the 10th planet.

Meanwhile, discoveries of binary setups in the Kuiper Belt have led experts to estimate that at least 10% of large Kuiper Belt Objects (KBOs) have moons.[/teaser]

This to me, is absolutly fascinating.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
RE: Saturn, Neptune, thei

NASA Plans to Launch Its First-Ever Mission to Pluto Next Month

teaser:

Dec. 19 (Bloomberg) -- NASA plans to launch a piano-sized spacecraft next month on a decade-long, 4.7-billion-mile journey to Pluto in what will be the U.S. space agency's first-ever mission to the most distant planet in the solar system.

The agency's New Horizons spacecraft is scheduled to take off aboard an Atlas V rocket from Launch Complex 41 at Kennedy Space Center in Cape Canaveral, Florida, during a 35-day period beginning Jan. 17. It's scheduled to arrive at Pluto for a five- month study in July 2015.

New Horizon's seven scientific instruments will examine Pluto's surface, its geology, its composition and atmosphere. No spacecraft has ever visited the planet and the Hubble Space Telescope can't even see details of its icy, rocky surface. The probe will come within 6,200 miles of Pluto and should be able to take images of features as small as 200 meters across.

``We're going to be like kids in a candy shop when we arrive at a system like this,'' said Alan Stern of the Southwest Research Institute in Boulder, Colorado, the principal investigator for the mission, in a televised briefing with reporters from NASA headquarters in Washington today.

It will be the first planetary mission for the National Aeronautics and Space Administration since the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter took off in August. In 2004, a NASA spacecraft began orbiting Saturn, two robotic rovers landed on Mars and a mission to Mercury was launched. [/end of teaser]

Very interesting and intriguing.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Re: RE: Saturn, Neptune, thei

no1important said:
NASA Plans to Launch Its First-Ever Mission to Pluto Next Month

teaser:

Dec. 19 (Bloomberg) -- NASA plans to launch a piano-sized spacecraft next month on a decade-long, 4.7-billion-mile journey to Pluto in what will be the U.S. space agency's first-ever mission to the most distant planet in the solar system.

The agency's New Horizons spacecraft is scheduled to take off aboard an Atlas V rocket from Launch Complex 41 at Kennedy Space Center in Cape Canaveral, Florida, during a 35-day period beginning Jan. 17. It's scheduled to arrive at Pluto for a five- month study in July 2015.

New Horizon's seven scientific instruments will examine Pluto's surface, its geology, its composition and atmosphere. No spacecraft has ever visited the planet and the Hubble Space Telescope can't even see details of its icy, rocky surface. The probe will come within 6,200 miles of Pluto and should be able to take images of features as small as 200 meters across.

``We're going to be like kids in a candy shop when we arrive at a system like this,'' said Alan Stern of the Southwest Research Institute in Boulder, Colorado, the principal investigator for the mission, in a televised briefing with reporters from NASA headquarters in Washington today.

It will be the first planetary mission for the National Aeronautics and Space Administration since the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter took off in August. In 2004, a NASA spacecraft began orbiting Saturn, two robotic rovers landed on Mars and a mission to Mercury was launched. [/end of teaser]

Very interesting and intriguing.

fascinating.&fantastic . THIS Is the kind of stuff I want to keep hearing. Progress in the space programs, the excitment of each new discovery .