Yukon River Disappeared In A Day Because Of Climate Change

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

WASHINGTON — Scientists have witnessed the first modern case of what they call "river piracy" and they blame global warming. Most of the water gushing from a large glacier in northwest Canada last year suddenly switched from one river to another.

That changed the Slims River from a three-metre deep, raging river to something so shallow that it barely was above a scientist's high top sneakers at midstream. The melt from the Yukon's Kaskawulsh glacier now flows mostly into the Alsek River and ends up in the Pacific Ocean instead of the Arctic's Bering Sea.

It seemed to all happen in about one day — last May 26 — based on river gauge data, said Dan Shugar, a University of Washington Tacoma professor who studies how land changes. A 30-metre tall canyon formed at the end of the glacier, rerouting the melting water, Shugar and his colleagues wrote in a study published in Monday's journal Nature Geoscience.

The term "river piracy'' is usually used to describe events that take a long time to occur, such as tens of thousands of years, and had not been seen in modern times, especially not this quickly, said study co-author Jim Best of the University of Illinois. It's different from something like the Mississippi River changing course at its delta and it involves more than one river and occurs at the beginning of a waterway, not the end.

The scientists had been to the edge of the Kaskawulsh glacier in 2013. Then the Slims River was "swift, cold and deep" and flowing fast enough that it could be dangerous to wade through, Shugar said. They returned last year to find the river shallow and as still as a lake, while the Alsek, was deeper and flowing faster.

"We were really surprised when we got there and there was basically no water in the river," Shugar said of the Slims. "We could walk across it and we wouldn't get our shirts wet. It was like a snake-shaped lake rather than a river."

What had been a river delta at the edge of the Slims River had changed into a place full of "afternoon dust storms with this fine dust getting into your nose and your mouth," Best said.

The lack of water in the Slims wasn't because of changes in rainfall, Shugar said. They know that because it's a river fed mostly by glacial melt, not rain, and the Alsek increased in amounts similar to what disappeared from the Slims.

The Kaskawulsh glacier covers about 25,000 square kilometres, about the size of Vermont. The front of the glacier has retreated nearly 1.9 kilometres since 1899, Shugar said.

The scientists calculate that there is only a one in 200 chance that the retreating glacier and river piracy is completely natural without man-made global warming. They used weather and ice observations and a computer simulation that models how likely the glacier retreat would be with current conditions and without heat-trapping greenhouse gases.

Several outside scientists praised the study as significant and sensible.

"This is an interesting study and reconfirms that climate change has large, widespread and sometimes surprising impacts," Pennsylvania State University glacier expert Richard Alley, who wasn't part of the study, said in an email.

source

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
It went to Colorado. they got seventy feet of snow this winter. The water on earth is moving arround like it did when I was first here, it's not the end times cuz time never ends for humans, the records indicate human habitation of earth measured in the millions of years , geological time, what's in the rocks, the coal, the fossiles and the CNC rock work littering the planet, right now I would board a long boat with my spear and head for Englands sunny warm shores for seasonal pillage, but this is not that century and I have to wait for the tarty Sun. I'd like to sail to Cuba and stay there, nice beachs, lots of fish and the beer is okay.

I've had enough of this godamned ice age.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006

WASHINGTON — Scientists have witnessed the first modern case of what they call "river piracy" and they blame global warming. Most of the water gushing from a large glacier in northwest Canada last year suddenly switched from one river to another.

That changed the Slims River from a three-metre deep, raging river to something so shallow that it barely was above a scientist's high top sneakers at midstream. The melt from the Yukon's Kaskawulsh glacier now flows mostly into the Alsek River and ends up in the Pacific Ocean instead of the Arctic's Bering Sea.

It seemed to all happen in about one day — last May 26 — based on river gauge data, said Dan Shugar, a University of Washington Tacoma professor who studies how land changes. A 30-metre tall canyon formed at the end of the glacier, rerouting the melting water, Shugar and his colleagues wrote in a study published in Monday's journal Nature Geoscience.

The term "river piracy'' is usually used to describe events that take a long time to occur, such as tens of thousands of years, and had not been seen in modern times, especially not this quickly, said study co-author Jim Best of the University of Illinois. It's different from something like the Mississippi River changing course at its delta and it involves more than one river and occurs at the beginning of a waterway, not the end.

The scientists had been to the edge of the Kaskawulsh glacier in 2013. Then the Slims River was "swift, cold and deep" and flowing fast enough that it could be dangerous to wade through, Shugar said. They returned last year to find the river shallow and as still as a lake, while the Alsek, was deeper and flowing faster.

"We were really surprised when we got there and there was basically no water in the river," Shugar said of the Slims. "We could walk across it and we wouldn't get our shirts wet. It was like a snake-shaped lake rather than a river."

What had been a river delta at the edge of the Slims River had changed into a place full of "afternoon dust storms with this fine dust getting into your nose and your mouth," Best said.

The lack of water in the Slims wasn't because of changes in rainfall, Shugar said. They know that because it's a river fed mostly by glacial melt, not rain, and the Alsek increased in amounts similar to what disappeared from the Slims.

The Kaskawulsh glacier covers about 25,000 square kilometres, about the size of Vermont. The front of the glacier has retreated nearly 1.9 kilometres since 1899, Shugar said.

The scientists calculate that there is only a one in 200 chance that the retreating glacier and river piracy is completely natural without man-made global warming. They used weather and ice observations and a computer simulation that models how likely the glacier retreat would be with current conditions and without heat-trapping greenhouse gases.

Several outside scientists praised the study as significant and sensible.

"This is an interesting study and reconfirms that climate change has large, widespread and sometimes surprising impacts," Pennsylvania State University glacier expert Richard Alley, who wasn't part of the study, said in an email.

source

There's something wrong with that river.

What are the little cones in the picture? Are they asperigus?

Lakes Agassiz, Algonquin and Iroquois disappeared because of climate change too....

The climate moves us arround with the rest of the amimals.

Birds butterflys and bacteria. But us umans end up on top of the food chain every time, the universe is merciful.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
If i was a liberal id say you just blew my mind....

Wait... im a liberal already... Ummm my head didnt explode? Am i a traitor?

Are they going to label me excommunicate traitoris now?

I might be late to this conversation, but, congradulations on your heads intactredness. There have been very few exploding heads at CCC. I believe our safty recor5d speaks for itself, Would you like a link to it?

When was the last exploding head at CCC? What year at least?

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015

Yeah, 120 year old climate change!
;)
man made eh?

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Twenty-thirteeen? When was that?

The easiest way to remember is by recalling the time when Al Gore and David Suzuki offered their collective wisdom to the world.

Sadly, I was not lucky enough to meet Mr Suzuki when he came through my neck of the woods.

It is a beautiful bus with a 12 cyl diesel engine, more than enough power and space to transport himself and 2 assistants

That's NUTHIN'! OBAMA BROKE UP PANGAEA!

They were always my favorite band.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
The blacks being of hammered into superior stuff should assume power and save us endangered whites. Maybe we could be fenced and fed in preservations forests. Those who once ruled, DNA reserves, just in case homo needs the white blanket again, yes we have contributed despite poopular opinion,

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Its not like a braided stream haa ever changed their discharge exit point before....
Not global warming

It is nothing to do with a braided stream. River capture is when the headwaters of one stream cut into another stream and steal all of its water. It is a natural phenomena that has occurred thousands of times. However, this one is special as it appears to have been caused by the melting of a glacier that was separating the two streams.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stream_capture