Children with ADHD have some smaller brain regions, study shows


Johnnny
#1
Researchers suggest disorder should be considered a neurological condition and not simply a behavioural one

Children with ADHD have some smaller brain regions, study shows - Health - CBC News


Quote:

People with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder have distinct differences in their brain structure, a new study finds, suggesting the disorder should be considered a neurological condition and not simply a behavioural problem.

The research published Wednesday in Lancet Psychiatry was described by its authors as the largest-ever review of ADHD patient brain scans.

The scientists evaluated MRI scans and other data from more than 3,200 people, comparing 1,713 patients who had been diagnosed with ADHD to a control group. The patients ranged in age from four to 63.

The researchers found those with ADHD had smaller brain volume in five subcortical regions, as well as an overall smaller brain volume.

The phenomenon was greatest in children and less notable in adults.

The most noteworthy findings relate to the smaller amygdala and hippocampus in patients with ADHD, as those regions haven't previously been conclusively linked to the disorder.

"Both of those brain regions are associated with emotional processing. And those types of emotional symptoms [such as impulsivity] are very common in ADHD, but aren't given as much attention or focus as the cognitive symptoms that we see in the disorder," says Dr. Jonathan Posner, an associate professor of psychiatry at New York's Columbia University Medical Center.

Posner wasn't involved in the study, though he did publish a commentary in the same edition of Lancet Psychiatry based on the research.

The findings are important, he adds, because they verify the results of earlier studies considered too small to be conclusive.

And while the findings can't conclude whether brain abnormality is a cause of ADHD or the result of it, Posner says they suggest the behavioural problems in children with ADHD are actually neurological.

 
Curious Cdn
#2
That, of course, would explain why ADHD kids usually score on the high side of IQ curves.
 
Hoof Hearted
#3
Cannuck has a smaller brain region...does this mean he's ADHD?
 
Twila
+1
#4
ADHD is like having every single thing around you in your sight.

It's not about lack of attention, it's about having your attention grabbed by every single thing that passes your eyes.

It's about lack of dopamine. ADHD rarely walks alone. It usually comes with other issues.

ADHD is a great thing to have IF you're a hunter. If you work with animals. If you work with small children.

It's a terrible thing to have if your work doesn't thrill you. IT's horrible to have if you are forced to work like a NT (Neurotypical)

IF you can find a work around to those issues, you're a star. If you can't, life is hell.

This ^^^^^^ is from my personal experience having ADHD as an adult.
 
Curious Cdn
#5
ADHD is a great thing to have IF you're a hunter.


Well I've had a number of ADHD people around ..... Oh look! a Squirrel!!!
 
Twila
+3
#6  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious CdnView Post

ADHD is a great thing to have IF you're a hunter.


Well I've had a number of ADHD people around ..... Oh look! a Squirrel!!!

oh, we can hunt other things too. lol.

We're also excellent at brain storming. We can think outside the box. We don't think linear necessarily.

But if you need someone to sit still and be typical, forget about it. Ain't going to happen with us.
 
Johnnny
+1
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by TwilaView Post

It's a terrible thing to have if your work doesn't thrill you. IT's horrible to have if you are forced to work like a NT (Neurotypical)

Some adapt, especially if they were diagnosed early in life. NTers just have to realize that even though we are spastic we can think at their level.

Quote: Originally Posted by Hoof HeartedView Post

Cannuck has a smaller brain region...does this mean he's ADHD?

Im pretty sure more brain volume doesnt equal a higher IQ. If memory serves me right, we have the same brain to body ratio as mice.
 
Curious Cdn
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by TwilaView Post

oh, we can hunt other things too. lol.

We're also excellent at brain storming. We can think outside the box. We don't think linear necessarily.

But if you need someone to sit still and be typical, forget about it. Ain't going to happen with us.

I've decided that I'm mildly an undiagnosed ADHD. It has been a constant source of invention, for me.

Quote: Originally Posted by JohnnnyView Post

Some adapt, especially if they were diagnosed early in life. NTers just have to realize that even though we are spastic we can think at their level.



Im pretty sure more brain volume doesnt equal a higher IQ. If memory serves me right, we have the same brain to body ratio as mice.

I can't imagine what bearing that might be on human intelligence. That seems to reside in the folds of the Cerebral Cortex, not in the lower brain structures mentioned in your piece.
 
Danbones
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoof HeartedView Post

Cannuck has a smaller brain region...does this mean he's ADHD?

thats a NO brainer
 
Johnnny
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious CdnView Post

I've decided that I'm mildly an undiagnosed ADHD. It has been a constant source of invention, for me.



I can't imagine what bearing that might be on human intelligence. That seems to reside in the folds of the Cerebral Cortex, not in the lower brain structures mentioned in your piece.

Some people sometimes erroneously think volume equals to more capacity.
 
Curious Cdn
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by JohnnnyView Post

Some people sometimes erroneously think volume equals to more capacity.

...fat heads, mostly ...
 
Twila
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by JohnnnyView Post

Some people sometimes erroneously think volume equals to more capacity.

and different regions do different things, based on what other interactions with other parts of the brain are happening.

Also, studies most often do not include left handedness because if messes with the data, so....

IF the brain in every human is standard then learning about the brain would be much easier and we'd have a perfectly mapped out brain. We don't.

Intelligence can't be measured by brain size any more then the shape of the skull (phrenology).
 
Curious Cdn
+1
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by TwilaView Post

and different regions do different things, based on what other interactions with other parts of the brain are happening.

Also, studies most often do not include left handedness because if messes with the data, so....

IF the brain in every human is standard then learning about the brain would be much easier and we'd have a perfectly mapped out brain. We don't.

Intelligence can't be measured by brain size any more then the shape of the skull (phrenology).

I'm a musician. That's good for an extra fold.
 
Twila
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious CdnView Post

I'm a musician. That's good for an extra fold.

learning another language is excellent for the brain. Music is another language...

I've only mastered a couple of languages myself. Those being dog and sarcasm. My english could use some work. It's hard when it's your native tongue, but you still trip over words. lol
 
Curious Cdn
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by TwilaView Post

learning another language is excellent for the brain. Music is another language...

I've only mastered a couple of languages myself. Those being dog and sarcasm. My english could use some work. It's hard when it's your native tongue, but you still trip over words. lol

I speak a little Klingon, can read and write French, fairly well ... can't speak it worth merde, though.
 
Johnnny
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by TwilaView Post

learning another language is excellent for the brain. Music is another language...

I've only mastered a couple of languages myself. Those being dog and sarcasm. My english could use some work. It's hard when it's your native tongue, but you still trip over words. lol

Learning other languages are awesome. Im having a blast when im not hungover learning spanish. When i was a youngin that was knee high to a duck i knew enough Finnish to conversate with my dad but now i just have a strong vocabulary in that language.

I also have been told that ADHDers are good at learning languages...

On a seperate note though i was and still kinda am one of those people who are unsure about ADHD even though i technically have it. Ive known so many people get diagnosed with it or think they have it that i question it.
 
no new posts