Monday’s supermoon extra super; closest in nearly 69 years

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Monday’s supermoon extra super; closest in nearly 69 years
Marcia Dunn, THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
First posted: Thursday, November 10, 2016 02:02 PM EST | Updated: Thursday, November 10, 2016 03:07 PM EST
CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. — The moon doesn’t get much bigger and brighter than this.

On Monday, Earthlings will be treated to a so-called supermoon — the closest full moon of the year.

Monday’s supermoon will be extra super — it will be the closest the moon comes to us in almost 69 years. And it won’t happen again for another 18 years.

NASA says closest approach will occur at 6:21 a.m. EST when the moon comes within 221,523 miles (356,508 kilometres). That’s from the centre of the Earth to the centre of the moon. Full moon will occur at 8:52 a.m. EST.

NASA planetary geologist Noah Petro is urging everyone to step outside and soak in the view. At the time of closest approach, the moon will be setting and the sun rising, at least on the U.S. East Coast, so prime viewing will be Sunday and Monday nights there.

“Ultimately, people should be more geared toward just getting outside and enjoying it,” Petro said.

Supermoons can appear 14 per cent bigger and 30 per cent brighter in the night sky. But it takes a real expert to notice the difference.

Petro, deputy project scientist for the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter circling the moon, said Thursday that even he won’t be able to see much difference in size and luminosity. What counts, he said, is getting people “talking, thinking and caring about the moon.”

Weather permitting, it’s a sky show the entire planet can enjoy.

“Everyone gets to see the moon,” Petro said. “It’s a great shared resource for all humanity.”

The last time the moon was so close — actually, 29 miles closer — was in January 1948. That’s the same year the Cleveland Indians last won the World Series, Petro noted, “a big year,” at least there.

In 2034, the moon will come even closer, within 221,485 miles. That, too, will be a supermoon.
Monday’s supermoon extra super; closest in nearly 69 years | World | News | Toro

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Looks like clear skies tonight for the Supermoon........going to take my little buddy and go to a high open spot that overlooks Canim Lake..............might even let out a howl or two. :lol:

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
yeah, i volunteer at the local shelter / soup kitchen
we tossed out several freakin'ers - tonight was way crazier then usual

the local mental health profession leaves a lot slip through the cracks
the moon seems to light them right up too

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
Looks like clear skies tonight for the Supermoon........going to take my little buddy and go to a high open spot that overlooks Canim Lake..............might even let out a howl or two. :lol:

I love what we called in the old days a harvest moon.Just sit and stare at the lesser light for hours.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I love what we called in the old days a harvest moon.Just sit and stare at the lesser light for hours.

I grew up in Saskatchewan - one of our prairie provinces, Ludlow. Our Harvest moons could stop you in your tracks. They appeared to be so close you could almost reach up and touch them. Always thought they were magical. Looking forward to howling at tonight's celestial offering.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Well that was so much fun.............stunning moon...........howls echoing over the valley returned by every single dog in the neighborhood it seemed :smile: ........I feel so much better now. Glad some of you got to enjoy it.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
You and I are going to have to work out some reciprocity, spam........I am deeply in your debt. :smile:
no probs. :)

PHOTOS: Supermoon lights up the sky
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
First posted: Monday, November 14, 2016 09:19 AM EST | Updated: Monday, November 14, 2016 09:47 AM EST
BEIJING — The brightest moon in almost 69 years is lighting up the sky in a treat for star watchers around the globe.
The phenomenon known as the supermoon reached its peak luminescence in North America before dawn on Monday. Its zenith in Asia and the South Pacific was Monday night. Across the international dateline in New Zealand, it was to reach its brightest after midnight Tuesday local time.
The moon orbits the Earth in an oval shape. The moon will be at its brightest this week because it is coming closer to the Earth along its elliptical orbit than at any time since January 1948. The supermoon will also bring stronger than usual high tides, followed by plunging low tides the next morning.
Viewers can expect to see a moon about 14 per cent larger in diameter and about 30 per cent brighter than when it’s at its furthest distance from the earth. It won’t be as big and bright again for another 18 years.
NASA says its closest approach will occur at 6:21 a.m. EST (1121 GMT) Monday when the moon comes within 221,523 miles (356,508 kilometres). That’s from the centre of the Earth to the centre of the moon. Full moon will occur at 8:52 a.m. EST (1352 GMT).
According to the astronomy website earthsky.org, the term supermoon entered usage five years ago when the closest full moon fell on March 19, 2011. The scientific term is perigee full moon.
In 2034, the moon will come even closer, within 221,485 miles (356,456 kilometres). That, too, will be a supermoon.
PHOTOS: Supermoon lights up the sky | World | News | Toronto Sun