Remember freon?

10larry

Electoral Member
Apr 6, 2010
Niagara Falls
Not so good for ozone layer so political fly weights and learned science types sang the praises of cfcs' replacement hfc but now hfc is condemned as 100x more challenging to the atmosphere.
John Kerry urges ambition as HFC talks go into extra time | Climate Home - climate change news
In the last frantic hours, US negotiators are trying to soothe concerns about the costs of substitutes, many of which are being developed under patent in the US and Europe.
Social engineering using carbon as a token currency has not gone so well save the birth of a few billionaires in developing nations and suzuki and gore types in developed nations so it appears the u.s. and eu will try another appproach.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
R410a, developed in tandem between dupont and Carrier corp. Carrier holds the patent and rights to the name "Puron". It is not harmful to the environment. Unfortunatley, places like the middle east still use R22 which is a HCFC and harmful to the ozone. Canada and the U.S. have banned the manufacture and sale of R22 starting in 2020.

10larry

Electoral Member
Apr 6, 2010
Niagara Falls
Didn't phrase my thoughts well at all, cfc and hfc are ozone friendly but like livestock are not ghg friendly. Meat along along with air conditioning have in the main been tolerated because they make our lives bearable, no sleeping in the basement, tofu steaks or meatless pasta sauces but now hfc is an issue.
If puron is current, environmently and I assume cost friendly I wonder what new coolants are being developed and why nations are concerned over the possible costs.