Galaxy count may now top 2 trillion across universe

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Galaxy count may now top 2 trillion across universe
Marcia Dunn, THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
First posted: Thursday, October 13, 2016 03:24 PM EDT
CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. — Thought the universe was crowded with 100 billion to 200 billion galaxies? Try 1 trillion or even 2 trillion galaxies and more.
That’s the latest census, reported Thursday.
An astrophysics professor at the University of Nottingham in England led the international team that came up with the mind-boggling estimate of 2 trillion galaxies in the universe.
Professor Christopher Conselice says that represents a minimum tenfold increase. The scientists based their galaxy head count on deep-space surveys by the Hubble Space Telescope and ground observatories. They turned the images into 3-D and used new mathematical models for the update.
This image made available by NASA, ESA/Hubble on Thursday, Oct. 13, 2016 shows a portion of the southern field of the Great Observatories Origins Deep Survey to recalculate the total number of galaxies in the observable universe. (NASA, ESA/Hubble via AP)

Galaxy count may now top 2 trillion across universe | World | News | Toronto Sun

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I guess I'll have to adjust my calendar to be a bit longer for the 'explore the universe' plan.
Why do they always have to admit their 'proofs' are nothing more than wild speculation??

(in part)
There are an estimated 2 trillion galaxies sharing the known universe with ours, it was announced, and 90 percent of them are too faint and too distant to be observed by current telescope technology. Astronomers are pretty sure they’re there, however, through the use of models and other calculations.

Read more: https://sputniknews.com/society/201610141046316092-study-ten-times-more-galaxies/

Faith based science seems to be the trend for a long time now.

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Two trillion galaxies, ranging in size from a few billion stars to one hundred trillion stars (our galaxy, the Milky Way, has at least 100 billion stars). In between (I'm assuming) most or all of these galaxies is a vast expanse - it is two million light years between our galaxy the Milky Way and our nearest galactic neighbour Andromeda.

This just highlights just how mind-bogglingly vast the universe is.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Two trillion galaxies, ranging in size from a few billion stars to one hundred trillion stars (our galaxy, the Milky Way, has at least 100 billion stars). In between (I'm assuming) most or all of these galaxies is a vast expanse - it is two million light years between our galaxy the Milky Way and our nearest galactic neighbour Andromeda.

This just highlights just how mind-bogglingly vast the universe is.

Maybe, there are a trillion universes that each contain a trillion galaxies that each contain a trillion stars that each contain trillions (followed by MANY zeros) of atoms.

"Big fleas have little fleas
on their backs to bite them
and little fleas have lesser fleas
and so ad-infinitum."