Castle by the seal-side

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
This is the moment more than 20 seals poked their heads out of the water - and stared directly at a photographer.

Geoff Chrisp was walking on the Northumberland coast with his wife when they came across 100 inquisitive seals.

As he lifted his camera with Lindisfarne Castle in the background, a pod of the mammals turned to face the lens.

Castle by the seal-side: Photographer insists his amazing photo is the real thing - despite the internet doubters

Geoff Chrisp was walking on Northumberland coast with his wife when they saw 100 inquisitive seals
As he lifted his camera with Lindisfarne Castle in background, pod of the mammals turned to face lens
Some critics online have claimed the image was digitally altered, but Mr Chrisp strenuously denies this

By MARK DUELL FOR MAILONLINE
30 September 2016
Daily Mail

This is the moment more than 20 seals poked their heads out of the water - and stared directly at a photographer.

Geoff Chrisp was walking on the Northumberland coast with his wife when they came across 100 inquisitive seals.

As he lifted his camera with Lindisfarne Castle in the background, a pod of the mammals turned to face the lens.

Looking at the lens: Geoff Chrisp, 58, was enjoying a day out on the Northumberland coast with his wife when they came across 100 grey seals on the shore - and he lifted his camera to take a shot with the iconic Lindisfarne Castle in the background

Pod life: Mr Chrisp from Hexham said he had been out with some friends who had been to Ross Sands in Northumberland before, and 'a lot of seals were bobbing with their heads out of the water'

Seals on the beach: Mr Chrisp, who has denied accusations that his photo of the seals with their heads out was a fake, said there were just one or two seals in the water when his friends were in the area before, 'so it was a real surprise to see so many'

Some critics on social media have claimed the image was digitally altered, but Mr Chrisp strenuously denies this.

The 58-year-old from Hexham, Northumberland, said: ‘We were out with some friends who had been to Ross Sands before.

‘When we got there, a lot of seals were bobbing with their heads out of the water.

‘They were all looking my way and I pressed the shutter of the camera at the right time. I got a great shot.

Around 40% of the world's grey seals live in the UK

Snaps: Mr Chrisp is a 58-year-old amateur photographer

‘I got a great shot. I’d say there were about 100 all together and about 50 of them were in the sea

‘They were very inquisitive and looking our way. I think they were just genuinely curious about the people walking along the beach.

‘We were just surprised at how many there were.

‘When my friends were there before, there were just one or two in the water, so it was a real surprise to see so many.’

However, social media users are now debating whether the picture is real or fake.

One observer, Graeme Donnelly, claimed: ‘In the photo of the sea, the horizon looks like it should be a lot higher than it is in the photo of the castle. Definitely three images combined.’

Angela Burn said: ‘Photoshop was my first thought too... the best and biggest seal exactly in the middle and a third upwards, perfect position... and the others surrounding it like that. If it’s real, it’s a great picture.’

But Mr Chrisp has hit back at the criticism, adding: ‘It’s definitely a real photograph.

'There were other photographers there on the day who will have taken similar pictures.’

Read more: Northumberland photographer insists his amazing photo of Lindisfarne Castle is real | Daily Mail Online

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Photoshop

I think it's sad that whenever a beautiful photo is taken nowadays some goon somewhere on the internet screams "It's a Photoshop!", as though it's no longer possible to make stunning pictures unless you digitally alter them.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Faked photo. The same seal over and over.

Nothing iconic about photo-shopped pictures.