Update on the risk of heartburn drugs

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Update on the risk of heartburn drugs

By Dr. W. Gifford-Jones, Special to Postmedia Network
First posted: Saturday, August 20, 2016 07:00 AM EDT
Pogo, the cartoon character, was right when he remarked, “We have met the enemy and the enemy is us.”
A report in the Canadian Medical Association Journal shows that North Americans are devouring PPIs (proton pump inhibitors). These drugs decrease the amount of hydrochloric acid in the stomach to ease heartburn. But, as always, medical consumers tend to overdo a good thing and trigger a number of unintended consequences.
Numbers tell the story. A few years ago doctors prescribed PPIs, such as Prevacid, Nexium and Priosec, to over 4 million Canadians and 15 million in the U.S. Now, the number is higher as some PPIs can be obtained over-the-counter. The cost? Over 80 billion! The winners are the owners of big pharma stocks.
PPIs have been available for years and used to ease the burning fire under the breastbone. This is caused by overindulgence in food and drink which pushes protein digestive enzymes and bile into the lower part of the esophagus (food tube). This, in turn, triggers gastrointestinal reflux disease, commonly referred to as GERD.
There have always been good and questionable ways to use prescription medications. For instance, some people taking nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs or steroids may require long-standing treatment with PPIs to decrease the risk of gastrointestinal bleeding.
So what’s the problem? It’s that PPIs were meant to be used as a crutch for short periods of time. But, as you might suspect, these drugs work so well that many people depend on them for the long haul. And when this happens, it increases the risk of PPI overdose. As has been aptly said, “too much of a good thing can be worse than none at all.”
So what goes wrong? Following a heart attack patients are often prescribed a blood thinner to decrease the risk of another coronary attack. One blood thinner, when used with a PPI, was associated with a 29% risk of causing another heart attack within 90 days. Not a good trade off.
Decreasing the amount of hydrochloric acid in the stomach can also cause a serious bowel infection. A study of 272,636 patients from around the world showed that the use of PPIs was associated with increased risk of developing Clostridium difficile. This intestinal infection can result in as many as 40 bowel movements daily and can be life-threatening.
Several studies have shown an association between PPI use and osteoporosis (brittle bones) in both men and women. It’s postulated that PPIs decrease the absorption of calcium and that increased production of parathyroid hormone leads to increased bone loss.
Most people are well aware of the importance of calcium. But they are unaware that magnesium is needed for 300 metabolic reactions in the body. Unfortunately, studies show that 32% of North Americans are deficient in magnesium even without the use of PPIs.
But one study showed that those who had been taking PPIs for eight years had an increased risk of fatigue, unsteadiness, numbness, tingling, seizures or an irregular heart rate. Once PPIs were discontinued all these symptoms disappeared.
It’s also known that an acid stomach is essential for the absorption of vitamin B12. Studies show that long-term PPI users have a 4 times greater risk of B12 deficiency. This can result in anemia, depression, decreased taste and tingling in the extremities.
During the last 25 years there’s been an alarming increase in esophageal malignancy. It’s due to repeated attacks of heartburn, resulting in chronic inflammation of the lower end of the esophagus, and the start of precancerous changes.
Chronic heartburn reminds us we are quite human. It’s a warning signal that it’s time to avoid the “all-you-can-eat” syndrome, and the belief that you can get away with overindulgence just by popping a few pills to decrease hydrochloric acid. Never forget that there is always a price to pay for prescription drugs.
My advice is to avoid GERD by limiting calories, losing weight, stop smoking, limiting the use of painkillers, and starting a sound lifestyle. Remember fools attempt this at the end of life, while smart people start at the beginning!
EDITOR'S NOTE: The column does not constitute medical advice and is not meant to diagnose, treat, prevent or cure disease. Please contact your doctor. The information provided is for informational purposes only and are the views solely of the author.
Update on the risk of heartburn drugs | Health & Fitness | Life | Toronto Sun

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
What the drug companies and everyone they pay off wants is
a nice bunch of complacent bloodbags they can snack on for lunch.
so they put this stuff on the TV which rots your brain....
advertising, they call it:
brainwashing...and anti depressants are the detergent

as a child they fatten you up with sugar cereal and pill candies, and digital couch reality.
and once you are on the side effects train...
heh heh heh, you can never get off.
mmuuuahahaha!

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Heartburn is a totally preventable situation. From what I see in the ads the heartburn relief companies run, and what the article states;

PPIs have been available for years and used to ease the burning fire under the breastbone. This is caused by overindulgence in food and drink which pushes protein digestive enzymes and bile into the lower part of the esophagus (food tube). This, in turn, triggers gastrointestinal reflux disease, commonly referred to as GERD.

I have never had heartburn because I am not a fan of hot spicy foods. That seems like a simple solution to not taking heartburn cures...........

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
funny enough I never ate chilli powder for most of my life
for exactly the reasons you just stated

now they are the main drug I use to mitigate the symptoms of aspergers
( the capsacin mitigates the hyper sensitive pain response created by insufficient serotonin, which triggers the nociception responce ( a pain flinch ), in this case from just a whisper of a touch, by releasing a chemical called "substance p"
this is why capsacin works on some types of back pain

I am schooling the doctors, they really don't have a clue
and I have results and the peer reviewed science to justify this too

its ALL about neurotransmitters which can be fixed mostly with nutrition and lifestyle
and not with antidepressants that cause school shootings

Incidentally ginger helps mitigate any discomfort and moves trapped serotonin out of the gut, which is why it mitigates seasickness, further reducing the simptoms of aspergers, and both also cause the body to release chemicals that repair heart attack damage
As I also last winter showed the doctors

ten days after I should have been dead they could only find evidence of my heart attack in the hospital records

Last edited:

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
there are grosseries and then there are groceries
eat all the lettuce you want
if you don't wash the pecticides and herbicides and fungicides off with your antidepresant filled tap water
you get that action in your body on all the parts made from billions of individual lifeforms
(ssris for example totally screw up the gut function, thats where 95 % of your serotonin is made by gut flora and fauna)
which is why suposedly healty lifestyle choice people are going round the bend, and or dropping like flies
just like everyone else

in my case
its inherited
I am still in the top 15 percent healthwise for my age group when tested for the usual metrics

Last edited:

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
there are grosseries and then there are groceries
eat all the lettuce you want
if you don't wash the pecticides and herbicides and fungicides off with your antidepresant filled tap water
you get that action in your body on all the parts made from billions of individual lifeforms
(ssris for example totally screw up the gut function, thats where 95 % of your serotonin is made by gut flora and fauna)
which is why suposedly healty lifestyle choice people are going round the bend, and or dropping like flies
just like everyone else

in my case
its inherited
I am still in the top 15 percent healthwise for my age group when tested for the usual metrics
Thank you for that uplifting report.:).

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
it is what it is
lol

end result for me is semi retirement and enjoy it
best therapy ever

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
GERD isn't caused by spicy food-that idea is what old Tom Larscheid called 'a laugher'.

I've had GERD for some time-it took eight doctors to diagnose it but that's another story-and since I cut my alcohol intake to a couple Beer or glasses of Wine a year it's completely manageable.

I used to use a couple large jugs of Tums a year now I have maybe 2 pills every 6 months the last jug I bought should do me onto death.

So what goes wrong? Following a heart attack patients are often prescribed a blood thinner to decrease the risk of another coronary attack. One blood thinner, when used with a PPI, was associated with a 29% risk of causing another heart attack within 90 days.

Yet another scenario the author pulled out of his nether regions.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I have acid re-flux, have had it all my life and at one point I could not even eat a banana without ending up with stomach acid in my mouth. Tums and Rolaids did not work,. Baking soda didn't work. Milk didn't work. Even Zantac only gave temporaray relief.

This medical issue is from my mother's side of the family. My Uncle had it all his life, didn't even take Rolaids and eventually ended up with throat cancer which ended his life.

I have had two upper GI's and when I eased of my prescription of Pariet, the acid that came up my throat and scarred my esophagus so badly that the ENT was alarmed to the point that he sh!t all over me.
He asked me if I wanted to get throat cancer as well.
I replied that I did not.
He said, take the damn pills.
Call me a sell out to big pharma, but I will continue this prescription until I am dead.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
I have acid re-flux, have had it all my life.... when I eased of my prescription of Pariet, the acid that came up my throat and scarred my esophagus so badly that the ENT was alarmed to the point that he sh!t all over me....Call me a sell out to big pharma, but I will continue this prescription until I am dead.
Glad to hear it works for you-I've taken Nexium a couple times it's somewhat effective- the drug is fiendishly clever but not perfect there's more to the condition than just acid production.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
Modern medicine is not always the answer
Sometimes there are alternatives and lifestyle changes that can be made, but if its not a financial boon for someone else, you may have to dig up the answers your selves

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Amen to the sell-out to Big Pharma. Rabeprazole isn't even exotic ... but it works much better than the big bottle of Tums I'd eat in a couple of days. Between painkillers (more than I should have but whatever kept me relatively comfortable out on the road) and a history of acid reflux, Doc told me I had the worst case of esophagitis he'd ever seen that hadn't gone cancerous. I don't miss the battery-acid-in-the-sinus-cavity experience of a sleepytime upchuck

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
My wife was on Pantoprazol for years but last year the doc switched her to Domperidon twice a day.... half an hour before meals and it works just as well....
My last little bout with heartburn was about 3 years ago because of the Demerol pills the doc gave me after a complex hernia surgery, After I figured out the pain-killers were causing it and I flushed them down the toilet, it took two days and two bottles of Gaviscon tablets to get rid of it....I had forgotten about that one in my previous post...

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
yeah opiates screw up the gut function, thats for sure, as do SSRIs
they mess with the serotonin and H3 histamine receptors
asprin messes things up too
not ginger though, its a cox 2 inhibitor
makes you feel better and heals the gut area instead of tearing it a new a$$holes like aspirin can