Plastic bag use has plummeted in England

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Plastic bag use has plummeted in England since the introduction of a 5p charge last year, the government has said.

In the six months after the levy was brought in last October 640 million plastic bags were used in seven major supermarkets in England, it says.

In 2014, the waste reduction charity Wrap estimated the same shops had used 7.64 billion bags over the full year.

If that trend were to continue over the year this would be a drop of 83%.

It follows the pattern seen in the rest of the UK since the introduction of charges for bags.

Wales introduced a levy in 2011, followed by Northern Ireland in 2013 and Scotland in 2014. They saw reductions in bag use of 76%, 71% and 80%, respectively, in the first year after the fee was established.

The charge means all retailers with more than 250 full-time employees are required to charge a minimum of 5p to customers for single-use, plastic carrier bags, but paper bags are exempt

Environment Minister Therese Coffey said the reduction in the number of bags being used was "fantastic news".

"It will mean our precious marine life is safer, our communities are cleaner and future generations won't be saddled with mountains of plastic taking hundreds of years to break down in landfill sites."

This reduction in plastic could benefit the environment, especially the oceans.

A report published in the journal Science in 2015 estimated that about eight million tonnes of plastic ends up in global waters each year.

Plastic bag use plummets in England since 5p charge - BBC News

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
They first stared that here about 20-25 years ago, at 2-3 cents
a bag....started in the SuperStores....saving the planet & all that.

First time they tried to charge me for bags, I told them, "Not a
chance" & argued. That got me no place but gave me time to
think things through. I had about 10 items, so I said, "Fine, I'll take
200 bags then!
" Then they where arguing with me about not selling
me bags. Go figure...had the Cashier, & another, and three Managers
having a huddle at that Till.

The sold me my 200 bags for $4 or $6 or whatever, & told me they'd
only do that ONCE!! Told them "they're either selling them, or they
aren't. One or the other, but pick one
."

I have dogs. One bag over the hand, & another to toss the poo into.
A lap once a day. I was set for more than 3 months with only $4-$6...
Still a steal at $0.05 per bag. Sixty bags is still only $3. Yard stays
clean. Everyone is a winner.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
They first stared that here about 20-25 years ago, at 2-3 cents
a bag....started in the SuperStores....saving the planet & all that.

First time they tried to charge me for bags, I told them, "Not a
chance" & argued. That got me no place but gave me time to
think things through. I had about 10 items, so I said, "Fine, I'll take
200 bags then!
" Then they where arguing with me about not selling
me bags. Go figure...had the Cashier, & another, and three Managers
having a huddle at that Till.

The sold me my 200 bags for $4 or $6 or whatever, & told me they'd
only do that ONCE!! Told them "they're either selling them, or they
aren't. One or the other, but pick one
."

I have dogs. One bag over the hand, & another to toss the poo into.
A lap once a day. I was set for more than 3 months with only $4-$6...
Still a steal at $0.05 per bag. Sixty bags is still only $3. Yard stays
clean. Everyone is a winner.

You.reoneof those obstinant counterculture warriors aint you?

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Forcing people to put their produce in filthy cloth bags.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
An absolute rip-off that, since last year, we in England are being charged 5p just for a bloody plastic bag everytime we get some shopping in from the supermarket.

We customers go into ASDA or Sainsbury's or Morrisons or Tesco or Co-op or Waitrose or Farmfoods or Iceland and spend our money buying the products they are selling so it would just be common decency and courtesy and good manners if the supermarkets would provide with FREE plastic bags to put in the goods we have purchased from them. It's scandalous that, since last year, we have been charged for their resilient receptacles.

The supermarkets say it's to help save turtles, but it isn't. It's just a scam to help them make more money. I'm thinking of organisation a mass protest outside Westminster.

Last edited:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Perhaps Blackloaf doesn't realize that the 5p doesn't only cover the cost of production of the bag but also to repair environmental damage they cause like getting wrapped around ducks' necks. :)

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Perhaps Blackloaf doesn't realize that the 5p doesn't only cover the cost of production of the bag but also to repair environmental damage they cause like getting wrapped around ducks' necks. :)

Bull****. All that "Oh, it's to help save turtles!" is just bull****. It's just an excuse for the supermarkets to make more profit.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
It's true. Don't be so naive.

Well, aren't supermarkets there in the first place to make a profit? There is such a thing as biodegradable bags, I think they may be the answer and a charge of 10 p to produce them and protect the environment would be a stellar idea. :)

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
5p! That's 10¢!

Nuts to that. Hoots, mon!

By the way, Walmart has just started charging for their (really crummy) bags. I'm sure that it has nothing to do with saving the planet. It's just that Sam Walton isn't making enough money, yet.