Earth Is Tipping Because of Climate Change

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

The north pole is on the run. Although it can drift as much as 10 meters across a century, sometimes returning to near its origin, it has recently taken a sharp turn to the east. Climate change is the likely culprit, yet scientists are debating how much melting ice or changing rain patterns affect the pole’s wanderlust.

The geographical poles—the north and south tips of the axis that the Earth spins around—wobble over time due to small variations in the sun’s and moon’s pulls, and potentially to motion in Earth’s core and mantle. But changes on the planet’s surface can alter the poles, too. They wobble with every season as the distribution of snow and rain change, and over long stretches as well. Roughly 10,000 years ago, for example, Earth woke up from a deep freeze and the massive ice sheets sitting atop what is now Canada melted. As ice mass fled, and the depressed crust rebounded, the distribution of the planet’s mass changed and the north pole started to drift west. This pattern can be clearly seen in data from 1899 onward. But a recent zigzag in the north pole’s path (and the opposite movement in the south pole) suggests a new change is afoot.

Around 2000 the pole took an eastward turn; it stopped drifting toward Hudson Bay, Canada, and started drifting along the Greenwich meridian in the direction of London. In 2013Jianli Chen, a geophysicist at The University of Texas at Austin, was the first to attribute the sudden change to accelerated melting of the Greenland Ice Sheet. The result startled his team.

“If you're losing enough mass to change the orientation of the Earth—that's a lot of mass,” says John Ries, Chen’s colleague at U.T. Austin. The team found that recent accelerated ice loss and associated sea level rise accounted for more than 90 percent of the latest polar shift. Of course that includes ice lost across the world, but “Greenland is the lion's share of the mass loss,” Ries says. “That's what's causing the pole to change its nature.”

Earth Is Tipping Because of Climate Change - Scientific American

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Maybe there are 7B people on one side of the planet and only 1B on the other side and that is creating a minor wobble and the core is spinning at it's usual pace without missing a beat.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Maybe there are 7B people on one side of the planet and only 1B on the other side and that is creating a minor wobble and the core is spinning at it's usual pace without missing a beat.

There's probably more dangerous things to worry about somewhere on the planet! :) :)

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
The most dangerous thing on the planet is all the methane being released by 7 billion beasts farting ten or more times a day. It's global farting and it poses an immediate danger to the survival of our species not to mention the unpleasant aroma everyone will have to endure. I propose an immediate ban on Mexican food, Cabbage, Cauliflower and pickled eggs. Our survival depends on these measures.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Compared to the mass of the Earth, what fraction there
of is the mass of the crust, & ice, & water, and the human
population combined?

I'm betting it's a tiny, tiny fraction.

What generates the Earths magnetic poles? What geologic
dynamo is responsible, and how is it affected by global
warming/cooling/change?

Scientists believe the magnetic field is generated deep inside
the Earth where the heat of the planet's solid inner core churns
a liquid outer core of iron and nickel. The solid inner core is
thought to be a mass of iron about the size of the moon
that is heated to several thousand degrees Fahrenheit.

If this is so, & if global warming is a thing that is real,
and the average surface temperature warms or cools
a few degree's.....how does that matter in relation to
the previous paragraph?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The most dangerous thing on the planet is all the methane being released by 7 billion beasts farting ten or more times a day. It's global farting and it poses an immediate danger to the survival of our species not to mention the unpleasant aroma everyone will have to endure. I propose an immediate ban on Mexican food, Cabbage, Cauliflower and pickled eggs. Our survival depends on these measures.

Hang on there Lud- Cabbage supposedly prevents stomach cancer. Many were the times in my younger days when emissions were released after an evening of consuming a dozen beer and half a dozen pickled eggs. Not the most popular boy in the crummy! :) :)

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Compared to the mass of the Earth, what fraction there
of is the mass of the crust, & ice, & water, and the human
population combined?

I'm betting it's a tiny, tiny fraction.

What generates the Earths magnetic poles? What geologic
dynamo is responsible, and how is it affected by global
warming/cooling/change?

Scientists believe the magnetic field is generated deep inside
the Earth where the heat of the planet's solid inner core churns
a liquid outer core of iron and nickel. The solid inner core is
thought to be a mass of iron about the size of the moon
that is heated to several thousand degrees Fahrenheit.

If this is so, & if global warming is a thing that is real,
and the average surface temperature warms or cools
a few degree's.....how does that matter in relation to
the previous paragraph?

From the mantle upwards the mass is SFA. The deeper you go the higher the density.

Good old fashioned friction generates the magnetic poles and is the causation of global warming. During the last glaciation the magnetic pole was way the hell down in James pole

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
From the mantle upwards the mass is SFA. The deeper you go the higher the density.

Good old fashioned friction generates the magnetic poles and is the causation of global warming. During the last glaciation the magnetic pole was way the hell down in James pole

OK, so the older I get, the less hair I have on my head.

Or I can blame the annual thinning up top to creating
my aging? Does that make sense?

Does that sum up the O.P. in relation to your Answer?
Blaming a symptom for the cause?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
What a bunch of clap trap. The magnetic pole has been moving at irregular patterns throughout history. A little CO2 won't move it any more. The suggestion of this is a sign that there is no science behind any of the doom and gloom predictions of the kool aid crowd.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
What a bunch of clap trap. The magnetic pole has been moving at irregular patterns throughout history. A little CO2 won't move it any more. The suggestion of this is a sign that there is no science behind any of the doom and gloom predictions of the kool aid crowd.
Lemon lime is my favorite but cherry will do in a crunch .

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

Bald like a static charged balloon?

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Krackatoa
Perhaps it going off in the daytime (if it did) pushed the earth out of orbit just enough that the coming winter was worse because of that and not because of the dust in the air. The ash should stop the rain by warming up the upper atmosphere and that means it can hold more water vapor.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

The north pole is on the run. Although it can drift as much as 10 meters across a century, sometimes returning to near its origin, it has recently taken a sharp turn to the east. Climate change is the likely culprit, yet scientists are debating how much melting ice or changing rain patterns affect the pole’s wanderlust.

The geographical poles—the north and south tips of the axis that the Earth spins around—wobble over time due to small variations in the sun’s and moon’s pulls, and potentially to motion in Earth’s core and mantle. But changes on the planet’s surface can alter the poles, too. They wobble with every season as the distribution of snow and rain change, and over long stretches as well. Roughly 10,000 years ago, for example, Earth woke up from a deep freeze and the massive ice sheets sitting atop what is now Canada melted. As ice mass fled, and the depressed crust rebounded, the distribution of the planet’s mass changed and the north pole started to drift west. This pattern can be clearly seen in data from 1899 onward. But a recent zigzag in the north pole’s path (and the opposite movement in the south pole) suggests a new change is afoot.

Around 2000 the pole took an eastward turn; it stopped drifting toward Hudson Bay, Canada, and started drifting along the Greenwich meridian in the direction of London. In 2013Jianli Chen, a geophysicist at The University of Texas at Austin, was the first to attribute the sudden change to accelerated melting of the Greenland Ice Sheet. The result startled his team.

“If you're losing enough mass to change the orientation of the Earth—that's a lot of mass,” says John Ries, Chen’s colleague at U.T. Austin. The team found that recent accelerated ice loss and associated sea level rise accounted for more than 90 percent of the latest polar shift. Of course that includes ice lost across the world, but “Greenland is the lion's share of the mass loss,” Ries says. “That's what's causing the pole to change its nature.”

Earth Is Tipping Because of Climate Change - Scientific American

You got cause and effect backwards. Like most of your silly C&Ps.

So does this mean I'm going to have to start mowing my neigbour's lawn, or will he be mowing mine? He's south of me.

WEll according to flossy it will burn off shortly. Probably just after the NWP is ice free.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB

Perhaps it is like trying to growing grass on a busy street. Perhaps lots of hair is the tinfoil hat that slows your thinking down, would you have thought of this when you still had a full head of hair?