Beijing At The Crisis Point as They Declare First Ever Red Alert for Pollution

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Beijing At The Crisis Point as They Declare First Ever Red Alert for Pollution

China’s capital has issued a red alert for air pollution for the first time ever, with a heavy cloud of dangerous smog blanketing the city. The massive blanket of pollution that’s currently covering much of China can be seen from space by NASA satellites.

China’s capital has issued a red alert for air pollution for the first time ever, with a heavy cloud of dangerous smog blanketing the city. The massive blanket of pollution that’s currently covering much of China can be seen from space by NASA satellites.

The unprecedented red alert is the most serious warning level on a four-tier system that was introduced in 2013.

Until the red alert is lifted school lessons have been cancelled, outdoor construction has been shut down, and some industrial plants have also been closed. In addition, half of Beijing’s privately owned cars will be forced off the roads, with locals being permitted to drive on alternate days depending on whether they have odd or even numbers on their licence plates. Up to 30 percent of government vehicles will also be parked.

“People should to the best of their ability reduce outdoor activities,” cautioned Beijing’s Environmental Protection Bureau on social media. “If you are engaging in outdoor activities you should wear a mask or take other protective measures.”

www.youtube.com/watch?v=S27ycsxUtRM

Last week’s dangerously high smog levels hit 20 times the designated “safe” limits set by the World Health Organization.

One resident said, “I’m already indifferent, it’s all a gas chamber anyway.”

source: Beijing At The Crisis Point as They Declare First Ever Red Alert for Pollution | UPRISER

Seems like a huge problem in Canada..

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
But it might slow down economic growth! I say slap a gas mask on everyone's face and build build build! No slacking, people!

I can see it already: gas mask chique. Pink masks, blue masks, green masks, red masks, for formal or informal, along with semi-formal.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
But it might slow down economic growth! I say slap a gas mask on everyone's face and build build build! No slacking, people!

I can see it already: gas mask chique. Pink masks, blue masks, green masks, red masks, for formal or informal, along with semi-formal.

You're back! I think that our unmentionable posts got foo yonged, though.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
You're back! I think that our unmentionable posts got foo yonged, though.

Still in Xiangyang for another day before heading to Wuhan. I'm thinking of buying a nice green semi-formal gas mask to go with most of my clothes and a white one to go with the rest for the next time I come to China.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Beijing continues to suffer from pollution, but Delhi's air quality is one-and-a-half times worse

While Beijing residents continue to struggle through a period of unusually high air pollution, similarly high smog levels are a fact of life for many in different parts of the world where Beijing-style warning systems aren't in force.

In the past week, during which Beijing's air pollution has been at its most severe, air quality has been one-and-a-half times worse in Delhi, India's capital, The Hindustan Times reports.

These figures are based on the particulate matter, or PM 2.5 levels, in both cities. The '2.5' refers to the particles' diameter of 2.5 micrometres or less. These tiny particles are considered to be the most deadly, as they penetrate much further into the lungs than larger pollution particles - seriously increasing the prevalence of respiratory diseases and the risk of lung cancer.

In the last week, the air in Delhi has had an average PM 2.5 concentration of 230.9 micrograms per cubic metre. By contrast, the average in Beijing over the same period was 139.8 micrograms.

Both cities have seen unusually high pollution levels recently, resulting in schools and businesses being shut down in Beijing as local authorities try to protect residents.

The average annual PM 2.5 level in Beijing is around 56. That's still far higher than the World Health Organisation's 'healthy' rating of 25, but much lower than Delhi's annual average of 153.

Of the top 10 most polluted cities in the world, six are in India, with three in Pakistan and one in Iran.

Beijing continues to suffer from pollution, but Delhi's air quality is one-and-a-half times worse | Environment | The Independent

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Only if your goal is to completely destroy the economy.

The alternative is to eat soot. I don't get out of breath easily, but I have a few times in the last few days after only moderate exertion, not even enough to start to break a sweat, just walking with light luggage!

Come and visit for a week.

As for completely destroy g the economy, high rises are going up everywhere I look.

Slower growth might be a good thing here.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I just can't understand this. For the last two years at least the progs and alarmists have been telling the world that China leads the way in alternative energy and green technology.

The alarmists couldn't have been lying to us all.... could they?

The alternative is to eat soot. I don't get out of breath easily, but I have a few times in the last few days after only moderate exertion, not even enough to start to break a sweat, just walking with light luggage!

Come and visit for a week.

As for completely destroy g the economy, high rises are going up everywhere I look.

Slower growth might be a good thing here.

Your posts have been well received. It is good to have a man on the ground in China from this forum to tell us how things really are.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Whe're heading for Hong Kong tomorrow and I can't wait. I have no idea what smoking a pack a day feels like, but if it feels anything like breathing the air I'm breathing now, it's sick. Here I am lying in bed at 2.08 am with an uncomfortable throat and feeling like my lungs aren't getting all the air I'd like them to, or at least not getting it as efficiently as I'd like them to.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
It's cyclical. Probably a temperature inversion or something like that. Happens now and then. No sense in letting the alarmists raise the red flag it ain't nuthin new don't let the libtards use it to make money and subsidize phony programs that will only break us good folk.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Time to go all electric.

From what source? Coal?

It's cyclical. Probably a temperature inversion or something like that. Happens now and then. No sense in letting the alarmists raise the red flag it ain't nuthin new don't let the libtards use it to make money and subsidize phony programs that will only break us good folk.

A temperature inversion? I feel like I'm living a post-apocalyptic nightmare and you attribute it to a temperature inversion!? I attribute it to burning too much fuel!

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I would think rooftop solar on the building that will utilize the power would be better than a central one and many transmission lines. and you plug in your car or bike. I'm quite sure a river's banks could be landscaped to allow 'water wheels' that keep the paddles in the water longer and that helps them produce lots of power in a small package. That design would rise and fall with the river level.

I attribute it to burning too much fuel!
Wouldn't they have the same level of pollution the whole year if that was the only factor?

This is LA.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I would think rooftop solar on the building that will utilize the power would be better than a central one and many transmission lines. and you plug in your car or bike. I'm quite sure a river's banks could be landscaped to allow 'water wheels' that keep the paddles in the water longer and that helps them produce lots of power in a small package. That design would rise and fall with the river level.

Wouldn't they have the same level of pollution the whole year if that was the only factor?

This is LA.

No they wouldn't because they consume more energy in the winter months.

The snag in that LA picture looks clean. You can see some distance through it.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Saturday, 12 December, 9.22 am, and now experiencing noise pollution from shops 7 floors down engaging in an advertising decibel competition with one another along with car horns galore in the chaotic rush hour traffic. All those decibels must burn lots of coal.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Still in Xiangyang for another day before heading to Wuhan. I'm thinking of buying a nice green semi-formal gas mask to go with most of my clothes and a white one to go with the rest for the next time I come to China.

The air is too thick to pour and too thin to plow?