Storm Desmond: England's highest waterfall flows for first time in living memory

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Heavy rain and flooding have caused water to tumble down the most famous cliff in the Yorkshire Dales for "the first time in living memory".

Water flowed over the top of the white limestone rocks of Malham Cove on Sunday, briefly making it England's highest unbroken waterfall.

It may be the first time since the 18th century that the waterfall has flowed.

Footage of the occurrence has been seen online more than 100,000 times.

Storm Desmond: Malham Cove waterfall flows again amid heavy rain

BBC News
7 December 2015

How Malham Cove in North Yorkshire usually looks

Heavy rain and flooding have caused water to tumble down the most famous cliff in the Yorkshire Dales for "the first time in living memory".

Water flowed over the top of the white limestone rocks of Malham Cove on Sunday, briefly making it England's highest unbroken waterfall.

Footage of the occurrence has been seen online more than 100,000 times.

Stuart Gledhill, who filmed the sight, said: "The waterfall drop was surveyed earlier this year by cave divers.

"It was found to be 70.06m (230ft), making it briefly the highest single drop waterfall in England above ground."

Christopher Scaife took a photo of the waterfall from the top of Malham Cove in the Yorkshire Dales in North Yorkshire

The famous limetone pavement above Malham Cove

Malham Cove in North Yorkshire

Christopher Scaife was meant to be taking part in a caving club trip, but he headed to Malham for a walk after it was cancelled due to the weather.

He said: "The water usually sinks about a mile away from the top. I've never heard of this happening.

"We went to the local pub afterwards and no-one there had seen anything like it.

"Some people were saying it was the first time since the 18th century. I personally don't know."

Photographer Simon Wells took this image on Sunday from the foot of Malham Cove

Storm Desmond: Malham Cove waterfall flows again amid heavy rain - BBC News

Last edited:

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
You mean they had climate change in the 18th century, too?

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Yosemite Falls in California is the tallest waterfall in the United States. It is located in Yosemite National Park and has a vertical drop of 2425 feet.

Malham Cove is a paltry 70.06m (230ft)

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
Yosemite Falls in California is the tallest waterfall in the United States. It is located in Yosemite National Park and has a vertical drop of 2425 feet.

Malham Cove is a paltry 70.06m (230ft)
I think it was John Muir ,,if my memory serves me that did not want Yosemite turned into a national park. But his protests were overridden. I've never been there but it would be on my list.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Angel Falls Venezuela is world's longest unhindered drop at 800+meters as well as the longest cumulative drop at 970+m.
Niagara pours almost 3.5 million liters per second over the top.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
  1. Iguazu Falls. Considered one of the greatest waterfalls in the world, Iguazu Falls is my runaway favorite. The waterfalls actually sit on the border of both Argentina and Brazil, diving into the upper and lower Iguazu. Iguazu is often compared to Victoria Falls, which is the largest curtain of water in the world, since Iguazu is split, but Iguazu is wider. The falls can be accessed from both the Brazil and Argentina side.
  2. Angel Falls. This Venezuelan waterfall goes by several different names, although most people recognize it as Angel Falls, and is significant because it’s the tallest waterfall in the world, standing at a height of 3,212 and plunging 2,648 feet. It predominantly features a straight drop from the top, but also has a cascading waterfall that runs for a quarter of a mile. This is one of the most difficult waterfalls to access on this list since it’s located in an isolated jungle in Venezuela. Your best chance is flying over or taking a river trip during the summer and fall months with a guide.
  3. Kaieteur Falls. Located on the northern part of South America in Guyana is the powerful waterfall of Kaieteur Falls. It plunges over 700 feet before flowing over a series of cascades. Despite being one of the shorter waterfalls on this list, it’s considered to be one of the most powerful waterfalls and you’ll quickly see why when you see it. Since it’s a major tourist destination, it’s relatively easy to make a day trip here.
  4. Yumbilla Falls. Yumbilla Falls, located in Peru, has only recently begun to attract worldwide attention. It’s the fifth tallest waterfall in the world, standing at a height of nearly 3,000 feet. However, it’s not a straight drop, but rather tiered, featuring several different drops. However, it’s not nearly as powerful as Iguazu or Kaieteur Falls. It’s one of the most difficult waterfalls in South America to access because of its location.
  5. Cuquenan Falls. Lastly, there’s Cuquenan Falls, which similar to Yumbilla, is known for being tall, but not powerful. It stands as the second tallest waterfall in Venezuela, just after Angel Falls. It’s considered the second tallest free-leaping waterfall in the world. Similar to Angel Falls, it can be difficult to access due to its isolation, but is best viewed from a distance.
5 of the Best Waterfalls in South America | International Expeditions

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
That barely qualifies as a waterfall.

This is a real waterfall Blackie

That's not a real waterfall. Those are only the puny American Falls.

I wouldn't stand on that viewing platorm for long, either. You are liable to be mugged.

Don't go to Niagara Falls, News York without a fresh tetanus shot!

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
That's not a real waterfall. Those are only the puny American Falls.

I wouldn't stand on that viewing platorm for long, either. You are liable to be mugged.

Don't go to Niagara Falls, News York without a fresh tetanus shot!
Just goes to prove that even a beautiful piece of fruit, has a worm in it now and then.