Premiers agree to attend Paris climate summit with Trudeau

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
In his first post-election press conference Tuesday, Trudeau said he'd already "spoken with a number of premiers and talked about our interest and engagement in regards to attending Paris together."

"I will be engaging with the premiers in the coming weeks to establish a strong position for Canada so that people know that Canada's years of being a less-than-enthusiastic actor on the climate change file are behind us."

The defeated Conservative government of Stephen Harper has been internationally criticized for years as a climate policy laggard, but did put forward an aggressive target in May for cutting greenhouse gas emissions by 30 per cent from 2005 levels by 2030.

However Canada is currently not close to meeting its previous Copenhagen commitment of slashing emissions 17 per cent by 2020, and most of the reductions that have occurred came about either as a result of provincial measures or the global economic downturn of 2008-09.

The Harper government attacked any talk of carbon pricing for years as a job-killing tax on everything but it leaves office amid what appears to be a global movement toward putting a price on carbon pollution.

This week the Canadian Chamber of Commerce announced that more than 98 per cent of delegates to its annual general meeting had agreed on a resolution to reduce emissions "by using economic instruments, where the federal government is asked to work with the provinces to adopt a national carbon tax or cap and trade system to achieve a reduction in GHG by 2050."

Quebec already has an active cap-and-trade market with California that Ontario recently agreed to join, and British Columbia has had a provincial carbon tax for years.

Premiers meet by phone, agree to attend Paris climate summit with Trudeau | National Observer&

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Whatever else political opponents may say about Justin Trudeau's approach to reducing carbon emissions, they're not likely to curse his lack of inclusiveness.

The prime minister designate has already invited Green Leader Elizabeth May to be part of the Canadian delegation to the United Nations summit on climate change in Paris at the end of next month.

And he intends to invite NDP Leader Tom Mulcair and whoever is leading the Conservative party -- be it Stephen Harper or an interim leader -- as well, along with various non-governmental organizations and environmentalists, insiders say.

Trudeau's inclusive approach is in stark contrast to that adopted by Harper's defeated Conservative government, which strictly limited participation in delegations to previous climate summits, entirely excluding opposition parties.

Indeed, back in 2011, before becoming Liberal leader, Trudeau was so incensed by the Harper government's exclusionary policy that he called the environment minister at the time, Peter Kent, a "piece of s--t" in the House of Commons. His unparliamentary outburst, for which he apologized, was prompted by Kent needling the NDP's environment critic for not having gone to the climate change conference in Durban, South Africa, when the government had refused to accredit any opposition MPs.

At a 2013 UN climate conference in Warsaw, Poland, May ended up joining the Afghanistan delegation after the Harper government refused once again to include any opposition MPs in its delegation. Being part of Afghanistan's delegation, rather than attending simply as an observer, allowed her to access to all the negotiations.

"I was an environmental refugee," May said in an interview. "It's absolutely outrageous what Harper did."

May said Trudeau's more inclusive approach is not surprising; he's simply returning to the traditional practice of having delegations to international conferences represent Canada, not just the governing party.

Trudeau invites May, other leaders to join UN climate summit delegation | CTV News

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Well people kicked out a government dedicated to hearing itself and its own
ideology spoken without interruption Trudeau is at least inclusive even if
they are going to a chicken little conference to hear how the planet is dying
and yet the grass still grows. I think they should all go even if it is to promote
more dialogue even if the main problem is somewhat over stated.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Well, why would they not agree to go on a romp to gay Pareee? "YAY! Let's spend a mound of tax revenue! I have not been to Le Meurice or La Cordonnerie for a long time".

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Why? Are tax prayers Dippers?

Well, why would they not agree to go on a romp to gay Pareee? "YAY! Let's spend a mound of tax revenue! I have not been to Le Meurice or La Cordonnerie for a long time".

Why bother, just get a box of cardbourdeaux and pretend the sky is falling.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
There are some things in the national interest and this is I guess one of them.
As for taxpayers we are all taxpayers and we voted for what we got and we are
going to get what we got like it or not so get on the bus and enjoy the ride to
where I do not know.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Flights? Flying is like taking the bus.
Maybe you have never been on a plane. They are a little bit faster, do not have to dodge as much traffic, are more comfy than buses, etc. etc.
and you can get peanuts.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
They're going there to see how much money they can take from us.

Maybe you have never been on a plane. They are a little bit faster, do not have to dodge as much traffic, are more comfy than buses, etc. etc. and you can get peanuts.
Unfortunately, I've had to fly a lot the past few months (Delta, West Jet, Porter) and it was all very cramped and uncomfortable but at least on Porter the booze is included in the cost of your ticket.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Well, I suppose it matters what class you fly in. But buses do not seem to have classes. The things are just palin uncomfortable from one end to the other.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Maybe you have never been on a plane. They are a little bit faster, do not have to dodge as much traffic, are more comfy than buses, etc. etc.
and you can get peanuts.
Ever been 16th inline for take off in 40C in a country where pit stick is taboo?

It's the same as a bus.