Psychedelic drugs might help treat mental health disorders

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

LSD, magic mushrooms and ecstasy are well known street drugs not usually associated with medical treatment.
But that could be changing.
In a new article in the Canadian Medical Association Journal, researchers examine the therapeutic effects of these substances on people with mental disorders, ranging from addiction to depression, anxiety and PTSD.
The research suggests some illegal drugs may have beneficial medical effects.
MDMA- assisted psychotherapy has shown promising effects for treating PTSD in The U.S. and is currently being studied in Vancouver.

It was research that was pioneered in the 1950s and conducted through to the 70s, but eventually fizzled due to the condemnation of illegal substances and the subsequent war on drugs.
"As decades have worn on and we face continued challenges with mental health and limitations of the existing paradigm and existing treatments, it is reemerging as an area of clinical interest," Dr. Evan Wood told CBC On the Coast's Stephen Quinn.
Wood, a professor of medicine at UBC, is one of the study's authors.

Psychedelic drugs might help treat mental health disorders study says - British Columbia - CBC News

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Who better to administer said products than the Indians at their new smoke-houses on a Reservation conveniently near you. First customers, old ISIS members so they can stop letting other talk them into doing some crazy **** that could get somebody killed, like yourself.
Another round of peyote for the whole table bar-keep, I mean Doctor.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The research suggests some illegal drugs may have beneficial medical effects.
MDMA- assisted psychotherapy has shown promising effects for treating PTSD in The U.S. and is currently being studied in Vancouver
paxil and prozac....where are they now?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Who better to administer said products than the Indians at their new smoke-houses on a Reservation conveniently near you. First customers, old ISIS members so they can stop letting other talk them into doing some crazy **** that could get somebody killed, like yourself.
Another round of peyote for the whole table bar-keep, I mean Doctor.
What kind of drugs are you on?

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I'd read that one of the biggest reasons that psychodelics were not checked out in depth was because of the hippy movement.

I'd also read that one of the biggest reasons that the seeking of alternative state of reality is frowned on was because it was believed that that level of awareness was only meant to come from seeking sprititual enlightenment through god.

Anti-depressants suppress the brain and slow it down while psychodelics offer the brain the opportunity to learn and to visit consciousness that is usually blocked by our ego's. Without the protection of the ego, the person is able to view past hurts, bad experiences and past humiliations without the ego stepping in to protect itself.

Fantastic news for those who are tired of being suppressed and feeling nothing. Unlike anti depressants that require a certain level of drugs in the system for prolonged period of time, these psychodelics positive effects on the brain last for upto 4 weeks after initial use.

You can get mushrooms from your local dispensary. Kind of cool really.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Are dispensary mushrooms to get high or are they low dosage to induce sleep?

You can do all the drugs you want but there is no enlightenment or God drug that gives you answers.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
What kind of drugs are you on?
O2, the same one you seem to be a little shy on.

You can do all the drugs you want but there is no enlightenment or God drug that gives you answers.
Is this your confession? Perhaps dullards are meant to stay that way, never the sharpest knife in the fork drawer. BTW, it would probably give you extra questions, finding the answer would be what you do once you are back to normal. ( a wide variable as demonstrated on this very site)

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
O2, the same one you seem to be a little shy on.

That is because of heart disease due to sitting on his *** all day getting high. Harper and oil companies made him do it to himself. They chose his lifestyle for him as a slave. A slave that does nothing.

Is this your confession? Perhaps dullards are meant to stay that way, never the sharpest knife in the fork drawer. BTW, it would probably give you extra questions, finding the answer would be what you do once you are back to normal. ( a wide variable as demonstrated on this very site)

Confession that what you seek in your soul is already there and that you don't need drugs to let it free? Yeah. I'll admit to that and will go as far as promoting it.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I'd read that one of the biggest reasons that psychodelics were not checked out in depth was because of the hippy movement.

I'd also read that one of the biggest reasons that the seeking of alternative state of reality is frowned on was because it was believed that that level of awareness was only meant to come from seeking sprititual enlightenment through god.
Whip over to youtube and type in 'Firesign Theater' and watch about 7 hours of comedy from the 'hippy days'. They were on drugs in case you are wondering, did it make them better at comedy (including sarcasm) or worse at it? The big difference is the person knows they are taking something that will change things or it is slipped to them and they don't know what the hell is going on. One method induces 'enlightenment' and the other is more in line with 'insanity'.

That is because of . . . .
Got all the answers for every-bodies defects except your own. lol Did you here 'buzz' when the word was 'Bus'? (as in 'Don't miss the Bus)

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Google the meaning of inhibitions. Absolutely nobody needs a drug to overcome what is holding them back. Drugs can't create what ready exists within you.

If you need drugs to overcome your inhibitions you are lazy and taking the easy route which is only temporary and comes at a price.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Google the meaning of inhibitions. Absolutely nobody needs a drug to overcome what is holding them back. Drugs can't create what ready exists within you.

If you need drugs to overcome your inhibitions you are lazy and taking the easy route which is only temporary and comes at a price.

so says you. Others feel differently. Since no 2 people respond to treatments, situations, or events the same way there is need for varying types of treatment.

You may feel there is no answer for you in mood elevating, conciousness expanding drugs and for you there likely isn't. But that is not the case for everybody else.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I love it how people try to push their pleasure drugs as the drug that will cure everything. Just sit back and enjoy your drug of choice if you wish. But you don't need to push it as the best thing for everything to justify it.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
so says you. Others feel differently. Since no 2 people respond to treatments, situations, or events the same way there is need for varying types of treatment.

You may feel there is no answer for you in mood elevating, conciousness expanding drugs and for you there likely isn't. But that is not the case for everybody else.

The lazy others who want an easy ride. If you need a drug to release what is already in you it would only take one trip. Why all the repetition? Laziness? Fear? Why the f-ck do you need to poison yourself to release something that you just tuck right back in when coming down?

I love it how people try to push their pleasure drugs as the drug that will cure everything. Just sit back and enjoy your drug of choice if you wish. But you don't need to push it as the best thing for everything to justify it.

Look at me! I'm weak. You should be weak like me. I freed myself then tucked it all back in again for the next trip because I'm too weak to do it on my own.